Buy L-lysine in bulk, and cheap?

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by Animal lover, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

The program for which I foster gets many cats and kittens with URI. So we go through lysine very fast. Even with the vet's discount, it becomes very expensive. Is anyone buying l-lysine in bulk? How much product do you get, for what cost? My vet sells Viralys (gel and powder) which I can buy cheaper over the Internet, but there are some "off-brands" that cost even less - usually through so-called health stores. Any thoughts on the safety of off-brands?

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Never heard of L-Lysine for cats.

I take it daily to prevent stupid fever blisters :evil: :evil: :evil:

watch i'll wake up tomorrow with one just because i mentioned the word

3. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

It's used as a treatment for the feline herpes virus (aka rhinotracheitis virus), or "kitty cold." Sneezing, congestion, runny eyes and nose. Very common, very contagious among cats. (People can't get it.) Can be dangerous in kittens. Secondary eye infections can lead to blindness. Lysine does not cure herpes, just makes it less severe.

What is feline herpes virus?

4. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I use Viralys gel - but I only have 1 cat with the problem. Before that, though, I used to buy the "people" tablets and crush them in a ziploc with a rolling pin. It's pretty easy and cheap, but then I don't know how many cats you're doing it for!