Cell Phone Coverage in NC

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DeniseL, Jun 7, 2006.

?

Best Cell phone coverage in NC

1. Cingular

100.0%
  2. SunCom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Verizon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DeniseL

DeniseL Well-Known Member

I'm new to the area and will be traveling around the state often and just wondered what wireless company people have found has good coverage across the whole state (even the remote areas like beach and into the mountains). Any input on Cingular or SunCom? Thanks for your help!

2. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

Well, since I sell SunCom, I am going to be partial to sending you my way!

As for coverage:

Verizon - Still handles both digital and analog.

Cingular - digital only but has some the best coverage in that realm.

SunCom - again, digital only. Shares towers with Cingular so the coverage would be the same as Cingular.

3. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I vote for Sprint. - I have four bars when my friend with alltell and no signal - at his own house!

4. blusdrmr

Sprint! GOD, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Sprint...Pepps, are you touched?! {j/k}

I lose service at about your house, pick it up just a little, and then don't have it in my neighborhood.

We did find out that a friend has Verizon with no problems all through there. Think I'll switch.

Frogger

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I know Nextel will NOT work in the mountains of NC. The main reason my sis dropped Nextel and went with Alltel. Also that my mom, her MIL and other friends are Alltel Customers.

Blus knows his stuff, call him or PM him, and he'll be more than happy to tell ya which way to go. :wink:

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Can't specifically say for North Carolina (although they now have coverage for my home) but throughout the United States it is pretty rare for me not to get a Verizon signal. Wife is constantly complaining about the Sprint coverage.

Disclosure - Verizon is a client of mine.

8. blusdrmr

Thanks, HG.

store number is 919-662-9911 just in case anyone needs it.

9. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

None of the above...Alltel has the best phone coverage in NC.

10. tawiii

tawiii Guest

I have Alltel and they suck. I can't use it at my home. I have never had another so can't comment.

11. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Nextel STINKS . . . too many dropped calls. Sprint isn't much better, don't know about the others.

12. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Never heard of them.

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I've never been anywhere in NC where I couldn't get service with Alltel, except for brief periods of transition between rural cell towers. Plus, an Alltel rep told me of some #---- code that you can enter periodically to improve service while roaming. I wrote it down somewhere...I'll look for it.

14. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

we've always had alltel - so no help here, sorry :)

15. tawiii

tawiii Guest

My neighbor used that code and now his reception is worse.

16. ksmahgrts

ksmahgrts Well-Known Member

i've said it before and i'll say it again.

this whole area (our old house and our new) - one big cell phone black hole.

i have to stand on my head in the bathtub with my thumb in my nose and a wok on my head to get any coverage at all.

oh - we have cingular for personal use, my on-call cell for work is alltel, and hubby's work cell is sprint. seems as if alltel has been the least crapsome, but i'm basically taking 2am ER calls on that phone- so who knows if that makes a difference...

17. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

I hate Sprint (Embarq, whatever, they can change the name, they still SUCK) and now have Cingular. Cingular will drop me occasionally too, but at least I know where I'll be dropped... corner of 50& Old Drugstore, the Kudzu Tunnel on 42........

18. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I've had AT&T, Sprint, Nextel and Alltel...I've never had cingular, my husband has Verizon through his work. Out of my experiences, Alltel has the best coverage as a whole. I actually get service with them while driving in the country, going to my uncles in the Mountains, going to the beach, etc. I'm paying for cell phone service and expect to get it..with AT&T, Sprint and Nextel I lost way too many calls, hit too many dead zones, etc. I'm thinking Verizon isn't much better, because my husband is always loosing me while I'm talking to him! Now if all you want is direct connect and not cell phone service, I'd go with Nextel...otherwise talk to people who have had more than one service :)

19. momz x 2

momz x 2 Well-Known Member

the best service i have ever had as far as coverage has been alltel...
    hubby and i travel quite a bit and in quite a few states....alltel has always had the best coverage that we have found.

right now we have cingular and i wouldn't recommend them to anybody.....we can't even talk in alot of areas around 42 (old drug store road, cornwallis road, right around mc donalds) these all have dead spots and when you are driving through them our phones will cut out and hang up. it really sucks...

if we had a choice and were still having to foot our own bill, then alltel is the only service that we think is worth our money!
    the company pays the bill now so we don't have a choice for service.

:(

20. momz x 2

momz x 2 Well-Known Member

with cingular when we go somewhere like gatlinburg now we can't get any service....with alltel we never had any problems at all with the mountain regions or the coast.

sorry though, these are the only 2 that i have had since i have been in nc...can't speak about any others