Charter Schools Want Piece Of Lottery Pie

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Jan 17, 2006.

?

Should Charter Schools get piece of Lottery Pie?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

2. narron3

narron3 Guest

yes

yes.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:D

4. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

no no no
    They charge tuition and that should be enough. These public school are in trouble with the amount of programs they are lacking - All of them. THose little rich kids can just have mommy and daddy fork over more money. it's the average joe and jane and their kids that get lost.

Here are my top peeves why public schools need the money :
    1. Late buses. Not for kids who misses a bus, but for kids to stay after school for extra help, sports, a nd clubs. What currently happens is that a parent must be available ot pick up a student if he or she want to stay for an activity. I work. I have to leave work early to go get mine child if the kiddo stays after school for anything. Luckily for me, my job and boss allow me to - many other parents aren't able to, so student either can not participate or parents loose money.
    2.Instruments. Currently the only way a student can learn to play an instrument is to either take private lessons or go to band camp in the summer. Ever priced it out? It is expensive...oh and by the way why do we just have a band and no orchestra? All those string instruments must not really exist.....
    3.chorus/glee club. As an avid kareoke nut I understand that singing can help aliviate stress and enhance your life. No one is teaching these kids anything about this stuff. No one is holding concerts. Sad. Unless you want to go to the neighborhood church and sing gospel and hymns.
    4. Music appreciation as a whole. Even heard your kid listen to jazz, big band or showtunes along with the latest R&B, Hip Hop and rock? Do they even know who Irving Berlin, Benny Goodman, Gene Kruppa and Marvin Hamlish are? Expose them to knew ideas and muscial styles!
    5. THe expense of sports. Mine does not play, but from what I have heard it can cost quite a bit to be on a team these days. Why? What about the kid who wants to play but mom and dad are looking at the bottom line and it is bigger then the electric bill! No fair!
    6. Field Trips. Unless you are part of a specific group you are not going anywhere. THere are very few trips to expand education. THe cost is huge for a trip and fundraisers don't always help enough.
    7. Club or lack of....no science club, chess club, electronics club, debating teams and such because of the lack of funds and no late buses (see no.1)
    8. Oh and maybe a belt distribution for those kids who can't seem to get their pants up where they belong. Some dress code enforcement. THey (school vice pricipals) are too chicken to say anything to the specific a bunch of kids who do this. THey claim they are picked on ...

next..........

5. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Charter School = Private Schools? :oops:

6. Cleopatra

They *do* receive public and private funding. I do know of Charter Schools that have tuition. Sterling Montessori is one I know of. And as the article stated, they do not follow the same rules/guidelines as NC Public Schools... So why should they get more public money? They didn't like the public schools in the first place, that is why they spun off and made a charter. But they sure like public money, don't they?

7. kookookacho

Then I say heck no they don't need any lotto money! They can just stop raising their grubby little paws and step away from the lotto kitty.

8. Cleopatra

That's what I say Koo... they sound like Fair Weather friends. KWIM?

9. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Yep I agree...they want the money, but don't want to follow the guidelines...

10. kookookacho

KWIM? :?

11. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Know What I Mean

:D

12. kookookacho

Thank ya Thank ya :lol:

I am just slow this week... that is the second acronym I had to have explained to me... sheesh!

13. stu

stu Well-Known Member

So ALL charter schools are privately funded? I don't think so -- they are privately run, similar to a private school, but for the most part they are publicly funded. If they are not charging tuition, then they should be allocated funds from the lottery just like any other school! Rich mommy and daddy aren't always rich as one would like to imply.

14. stu

stu Well-Known Member

blah blah blah

15. Cleopatra

Public AND private funding, Stu. 8)

16. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

My daughter graduated from Raleigh Charter High School and there was no tuiton. They got the state money that our local school would have gotten had she went there.

(wonderful school by the way!)

17. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Charter school are STATE funded! There is no tution.

18. Cleopatra

19. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

Cleo, I think it is the pre-school portion of the school that charges tuition, but I don't know for sure. I think you have to pay for some of the extracurricular activities. My older son applied to Magellan Charter (awesome school) but was waitlisted. :cry: It was tuition-free.

I think they should get a portion of the pie. They do some very innovative things that public schools are scared to do or too stubborn to try. I hope he applies to Raleigh Charter High this year.

My impression is that charters serve their clientele better, but that might be because students and families are there by choice.

20. Cleopatra

You know what Mordorboy, you are right (kind of). I have two friends whose kids attend this school, and I looked into it myself. The fees I was thinking of were the exhorbitant before and afterschool care fees. Tack on the fundraising, donations, and volunteering (painting, landscaping, etc) - you might as well be paying tuition!