Charter Schools Want Piece Of Lottery Pie

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Jan 17, 2006.

?

Should Charter Schools get piece of Lottery Pie?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. narron3

narron3 Guest

charter school

Charter schools do not charge tuition. Most do require parents to be involved by volunteering at the school. The plus to a charter school is that they can have stricter rules than a public school and can try new teaching approaches. I think the most important thing they provide the public/parents is a CHOICE of where and how we educate our children. :idea:
    check out the website for East Wake Academy
    http://www.eastwakeacademy.org/default.htm

2. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Stu~

Gotta back up Pepps here. Her answer wasn't "blah, blah, blah", she was on target.

My mom had to be the taxi service when I was in school, sure, but the rest of it used to be made available to us. I learned to play every instrument I can now play...at school. Starting in 7th grade with the Clarinet and ending my Senior year with the Oboe (and I play that one badly to this day), I play just about any woodwind you put in from of me. I have my fave, but I learned them all at school. BTW, Pepps, my daughter LOVES Big Band music as well as classical :).

We had Chorus, Glee Club, Debate Club, Chess Club, you name it. We went to DC to see Congress in action (a lively debate too), and stayed to visit some of the Smithsonian buildings. We went on fun trips to the Zoo, the beach, and the fair (no school didn't close for us there). We also went to the aquarium, the Museums, and Chapel Hill to see planets on the ceiling. The fee to my mom? Never more than $6, 'course that's a lot for a single mom with kids but still...

We also bought notebook paper, a binder if we wanted it, a bookbag if we wanted it, and pencils. Everything, everything, else was supplied by the school.

Nope, didn't go to a Charter or private school. I went all the way thru the state system. All outside activities were a privilege, and grades had to be A-B to do them...including the clubs.

Some things some of my classmates went on to do:

Working at the aquarium
    Biologists: Marine/Avain/Hortirculture
    Geneticist
    Programmers
    High School English/Math/History teachers
    Professional dancers (all retired now) with Boston Ballet/Joffrey/Atlanta/New York City
    Doctors galor
    Same with Attorneys
    An Opera singer (retired now) in New York
    Members of Orchestras
    MANY members of our HS bands were always on the All-State Band and awarded 4 year scholarships to Pembroke.

There are also alot of us, me included, who don't have a glamourous job or title but enjoy where we are in life nontheless.

Those field trips, the music, and the clubs were a part of our schooling. It opened us up and made us who we are today. Our kids need that too and it's very sad that the school systems are too focused on standardized testing to realize they aren't unlocking the minds of our kids to their full potential anymore.

Frogger