Check your peanut butter!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ready2cmyKing, Feb 15, 2007.

1. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Health Officials Say Salmonella Outbreak Linked to 2 Brands of Tainted Peanut Butter

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252061,00.html

I had a jar of Peter Pan Plus Creamy made by ConAgra Foods with the #s 2111 in my pantry! :shock: But, thank God, it must have been okay because the jar is nearly empty and no one has gotten sick from it. Still, it's scary to think what could've happened -- especially since my 5 year old little girl is the one who eats the most peanut butter! From now on, I'm sticking with Jiff, which is my favorite anyway. ;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  2. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the head's up!

I'm spreading the word to friends. I have Peter Pan at the apartment....

Frogger

3. Clif

Clif Guest

I worked, for a while, at All American Nut Company in California shoveling peanut butter.

One thing I noticed, which I thought rather odd, was, when they would package peanut butter I'd see the line of jars. First came Peter Pan jars. One after another, they'd go down the line, get filled with peanut butter and have the caps screwed on. Then, after the Peter Pan order was filled, along would come a line of Jiff jars. No pause in the line. One after another they'd get filled from the same spigot. After that order was filled, along can Lucky's brand (a local store). Same line, same peanut butter spigot. Finally, if there was peanut butter left in the batch, and there was an order for generic, those jars would come through the line.

If all orders were filled, and there was still peanut butter left in the batch, we'd shovel it into 55 gal drums and stored it in the warehouse. Weeks or months later, when an order would come in for "Old Fashioned", we'd retrieve the stored drums, put the peanut butter back in the cooker, add some extra peanuts, and let it cook for a while before it would be jarred.

In short, from my work at All American Nut Company, I discovered that Jiff and Peter Pan were the same (even though there are some who would swear they could taste the difference).

4. froggerplus

Clif~

Maybe used to be, but not nowadays.

There is a difference in Jif and Peter Pan. The process for Peter Pan uses more peanuts, which makes it a little sweeter. Jif uses less and, in my opinion, is a little bland. Don't know when the process changed, I did a little sniffing about when I was trying to decide which peanut butter I really liked (long story).

BTW, Great Value is the WalMart version. Anyone shopping at WalMart may want to check their pantry...

Frogger

5. ready2cmyKing

That sounds disgusting.

I'm curious... Do you eat peanut butter?

6. blessed

blessed Well-Known Member

Frogger,

Jif and Peter Pan are different, you betcha! My one friend tried to trick me with it once. (She had too much time on her hands for this one..LOL) She emptied a jar of Jif about, oh about half way and put in some Peter pan on top of the rest of the Jif in the Jif jar. She thought she had me there......NOT!! I knew it instantly. The two have a very distinctly differetn taste........I LOVE Jif..........Remember, choosy mothers CHOOSE Jif...LOL

7. Clif

Clif Guest

Yep, just not "Old Fashioned".

I also just buy whatever's on sale.

8. Grammie

Grammie Guest

Stores are taking the peanut butter back all you have to do is bring in the lid if you want.
    Peter Pan Honey flavored is the best. Won't being seeing it for awhile.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

[​IMG]

OK, this is the only time I have ever regretted stocking up! I have 1 jar that is mostly gone and 2 more that are unopened with that code on them! They must be covering their hiney's because no one here has gotten sick from the jar we have eaten. But I guess I won't eat any more just to be on the safe side.

10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

How long does it take to get Salmonella Poisoning from the time of consuming the Peanut Butter? My son also was down to the bottom of a recalled jar and now he is panicking. Should he go get antibotics from the doctor as a precaution, or is a wait and see thing. Like I said, what is the wait time?

11. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

We just found out this morning about it. We have a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter #211 on it and now my hubby is VERY sick after he ate it three days ago. He has been making tons of trip to the toilet and feel worst after that. He was sweating and his tummy ache is bad right now. It has been that way for the past 3 days since he ate it.

He doesn't want to go to the hospital because he felt it wasn't serious enough - just making trips to bathroom, that's all. I told him that we should let the hospital know about his case, even though he's not planning to go to ER.

What do you think? Should we throw it out or keep it for ER to investigate or what? I missed the whole news on TV about it.

12. ready2cmyKing

All About Salmonella: Symptoms and Prevention

13. ready2cmyKing

Hmmm, it sure sounds like he might have it, huh? Maybe you should call an urgent care and ask if he should be seen since he ate some of the recalled peanut butter. Hope he feels better soon!!

14. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Yes, get it on record for the CDC, and then sue them.?

15. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

I wouldn't sue because nothing serious happened to him. He's feeling better now. Now my neighbor is the next victim - her child is getting sick after eating it few days ago. My other neighbor ate one, too, but didn't feel sick at all. The lid number is 211. Interesting, uh?

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I found another jar of it today in my pantry. I was WAY too well stocked on peanut butter! That's a total of 4 jars! :oops:

17. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

It is not just wal mart. I got mine at food lion...

My hubby is sick and he ate peanut butter crackers a day ago.

Now I am worried. You would think they would compensate for all the sickness. If he doesn't stop making trips to the bathroom. He is going to the doctor tomorrow. He is one who doesn't go to the doctor until he absolutely has to. Now that I think of it, my youngest missed a day of school last week with cramps in his stomach so bad that he was curled up in a ball. He had a fever for most of the day. Guess what kind of sandwich he ate that night. It only lasted a day for him. This was before we knew all of this info on the peanut butter.

ugh...

18. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Just keep pumping water into their systems. Diarrhea can lead to dehydration.

19. froggerplus

Well, there was a jar at my apartment also. Tossed it. I have a little peanut butter every day. Maybe that had something to do with tummy problems lately.

<altho I still can attribute it to stress>
    Frogger

20. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

That's fantastic advise!!! Sue crazy America!!!! Pretty soon it's going to cost $50 for a jar of penut butter just to cover the liability insurance they have to buy to sell their product. When are you idiots going to realize that the suit rewards don't come out of the "Big Business" pockets, it comes out of our pockets!!