Chris Benoit and family dead

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by HXCforCHRIST, Jun 26, 2007.

1. HXCforCHRIST

HXCforCHRIST Well-Known Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/06/25/wrestler.dead.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Pro wrestler Chris Benoit canceled a pay-per-view appearance at the "Vengeance" event in Houston because of "personal reasons" a day before he, his wife and their 7-year-old son were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide.

Details of the deaths "are going to prove a little bizarre" when released to the public, Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Autopsies were scheduled Tuesday by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in DeKalb County.

Authorities were investigating the deaths at a secluded Fayette County home as a murder-suicide and were not seeking any suspects.

Investigators believe Benoit, (pronounced ben-WAH) killed his wife and son over the weekend and then himself sometime Monday. The bodies were found Monday afternoon in three different rooms of the house on Green Meadow Lane, in a subdivision off a gravel road about two miles from the Whitewater Country Club.

Ballard told The Associated Press a gun was not used in any of the deaths. But he declined to say how the three died.

"We're pretty sure we know, but we want to confirm it with the crime lab," Ballard said early Tuesday.

Fayette County Coroner C.J. Mowell did not return phone calls. The answering service for his funeral home said he was out of town.

World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Web site that it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who received "several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning."

Sheriff's Lt. Tommy Pope told WSB-TV that the three were found about 2:30 p.m., but he wouldn't release other details.

Stamford, Conn.-based WWE also said on its Web site it had been asked by authorities not to release further information on the deaths of Benoit, 40; his wife, Nancy, 43; and son, Daniel.

Benoit was born in Montreal. He was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career. He was known by several names including "The Canadian Crippler."

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the company said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit had maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

Benoit's wife managed several wrestlers and went by the stage name, "Woman," The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

They met when her then-husband drew up a script that had them involved in a relationship as part of an ongoing story line on World Championship Wrestling, the newspaper said.

Benoit has two other children from a prior relationship.

--That's Crazy, ever wonder whats going on in the heads of Wrestler/anybody else on all kinds of Roids and other junk... but they dont know for sure yet if he killed them it is just speculation. Either way that sucks

2. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

That was just awful! But you know what was even worse? Vince Mcmahon ( the guy who owns WWF WWE etc) had a role two weeks ago where he was either "murdered" or commited suicide, when the car that he was leaving in blew up. Last week they found a former WWF star dead in her mothers home Sensational Sherry from a long time ago and now Chris Benoit.....kinda freaky! My heart does go out to the family, I think he had two other children I wonder where they were????

3. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

This is all really weird. It is like the soap opera that is professional wrestling leaked out into reality.

My husband and I are debating about who may have killed whom. I guess all of the sordid details will come out eventually.

4. GarnerGirl2000

On TMZ they said that he strangled the wife, then Sunday he was watching the Pay per view he was suppose to be at with his son and texting friends. Sunday night is when he smothered his son and they found him (chris benoit) hanging in the weight room.

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

According to the AP article:

6. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

You all can jump on me for this, but I think all of those steroids wreck their brains. Shame for his poor wife and child :-(

7. GarnerGirl2000

I agree with you I think its "roid rage"

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

9. boo_radley21

boo_radley21 Well-Known Member

I've been covering this story since it broke last night.

I met Chris Benoit in 2002, as he waited to appear on the morning show at my television station, WAGA, in Atlanta. We talked for about 45 minutes in the green room, before he appeared on "Good Day Atlanta." Then we (the two anchors, a couple of producers, me and Chris) went out for breakfast after his appearance. I had pictures taken with him, and we had a great time together.

I can mirror what most people have said about him. He was not overly warm, but he wasn't rude either. He was intelligent, articulate, and one of the most technically-sound wrestlers in history.

I have been watching Benoit wrestle for years...from a scrawny 18-yr old kid in Canada's Stampede Wrestling, through his time in Japan, then back to the states in WCW, ECW, and WWE. The fact that he has allegedly killed his wife, who was a wrestler herself (Nancy went by "Woman" and "Fallen Angel"), and his 7-yr old son (whom he absolutely cherished) is beyond fathoming for me.

When Chris won the World title at Wrestlemania XX, he spent several minutes holding Nancy and Daniel in the ring, crying tears of absolute joy. His 18-yr effort to achieve the title belt was over, and he shared it with his family and closest friends. I remember that moment as if it was yesterday.

As of the latest press conference, it was said Benoit bound his wife at the feet and hands, then suffocated her om Friday. He then placed a towel over her body, and placed a bible beside her. On Saturday morning, he killed his son in the child's bedroom, then placed another bible on the bedstand. Sometime that night, Benoit went downstairs to his weight room, and hung himself with one of his weight set's pulley cables.

Absolutely tragic, horrific, that a man whom I've followed for the better part of my life, traded handshakes and conversations, laughter and good times, could have done any of this.

Chris Benoit, you will be missed, but you left people all over with too many questions. Questions to which I'm not sure I want the answer.

Rest in Peace, Chris, Nancy, and Daniel.

10. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

11. Steve

Steve Guest

this was a crime of cold deliberation, not rage. too neat.

12. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

and, it happened over the course of three days...

13. boo_radley21

boo_radley21 Well-Known Member

Let's wait until the toxicology report comes back. Longtime Benoit friend and superstar wrestler Bret "The Hitman" Hart was on Canada's GlobalNational News yesterday, and said "we shouldn't pass judgment yet on Chris."

I agree with Hitman wholeheartedly. Until the report comes back, everything's just speculation. The WWE currently has a VERY strict drug testing policy in effect right now, and it happened after Miss Elizabeth's death a few years ago.

Boo

14. Steve

Steve Guest

i don't think drugs were involved....not steroids anyway...

15. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Why do you say that?

16. stonecold

stonecold Guest

I am a huge wrestling fan. Benoit was always great to watch. He earned the nickname of Rabid Wolverine. My wife always thought there was something "not right" about him. All I can say is that this is horrible. There is a special place in hell for Chris Benoit. I hope he is getting sodomized by Satan!

17. Steve

Steve Guest

because steroid abuse brings on attacks of rage... this crime was not one of rage.... you cannot sustain rage for that long a period... also he texted people leaving messages that would cause them to come and investigate.... and he left bibles next to the bodies.... this was thought out....

18. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

19. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think its speculation that he killed his wife and child, no matter what the excuse/reason. As far as a VERY strict drug testing policy in the WWE, that is very debatable, at best. A quick google search will find most people within the wrestling industry and/or those who cover it, do not consider the testing very strict when it comes to steroids. The WWE instituted a new policy after Eddie Guerro's death, not Miss Elizabeth. (She was not a WWE employee at the time and hadn't been for years).

Ironically, while steroids may not have been the cause this time, (I agree with Steve, too long a period to chalk up to a sudden roid rage), this may actually be the case that gets something done about the abuse of steroids within professional wrestling. It would be hard to name many main-event performers in the last 25 years who have not used steroids at one time or another.

20. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

I'm not a wrestling fan at all. I think the whole "profession" is hilarious ...especially the fans. Did anyone see this inbred guy who looked like he just stepped out of the movie Deliverence being interviewed outside the gates of Benoit's home? He said "I just cain't phantom the idea he wud doo sum'in liiike theeis." I almost died laughing. I wish I could find it on YouTube. Some of the interviews with the other "wrastlers" is almost as funny. Sad story though.