Christmas Angels 2011

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Sep 15, 2011.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

The deadline for nominations is this Friday, Nov 4th.

Thank you.

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Have the families been chosen? Time is ticking away!

3. JenniferK

Michelle, girl, I'm trying!!

The families have been chosen, (although we will still consider applications because the number of nominations was very low this year for some reason) and we are trying to get information from them now about the needs thier families have. Unfortunately, it's taking longer than we had expected.

I know we have just a little over a month to go, as the deadline will HAVE to be December 15th, in order to get everything sorted and delivered.

While I hope to post specifics in the next day or so, I wanted to remind you that donations of cash and gift cards can be sent immediately!

I, or any other committee member, will gladly meet you at the 40/42 interchange to pick up these donations, you can mail a check, or at any time, paypal a donation to me at DaisiLou@aol.com.

In the meantime, any other tangible goods such as personal hygeine products, stocking stuffers, non-perishable foods, and generic gifts for children can also be donated.

4. JenniferK

And THIS is why I LOVE this community!!

No sooner than I posted this update, my cell phone rang. It was a member of 4042 who contributes every year, telling me that their check of $150 was on it's way to me as we speak!

You know who you are! Thank you so much!

5. michelle

I know girl, you do a great job. Please let me know if I can help in any way. I'll get some stuff together once a list is published.

Thank you for doing what you do! You make me a proud 4042'er.

6. JenniferK

Ok guys, here you go!

We've decided on two families. We might be able to help one more, but for now, we're going with two.

For each of these families, I asked them to email me with a little bit about their children, and to send me a list of the kids wishlist items. They know that we aren't promising we can deliver everything, but both families are extremely grateful that we're offering any help at all.

Family # 1

Mom has MS, and Dad was in a terrible car accident this year. He's lucky to be alive, and they are hoping he'll be able to come out of his wheelchair soon with his continued therapy. This is an example of a family whose life came to a screeching halt with his accident. They're trying, but they face many obstacles.

Three Boy's: 8, 10 and 17 years old

CLOTHES: UNC Hoodie or jacket boy's size 14-16

Shirts: size 8-10
    Jeans: size 8 adjustable waist (straight leg)
    size 10-12
    size 14 regular (boot cut)
    size 38 x 32 (straight leg)

Underwear: Fruit of the Loom size 10-12
    White ribbed tank top undershirts: size XL
    2 pairs of black gloves with the fingertips open

VIDEO GAMES:
    Scribblenauts for a DS
    Just Dance (2 or 3) for Wii

BOARD GAMES: Monopoly or Monopoly Electronic Banking

BOOK: (2) Diary of A Wimpy Kid (Cabin Fever)
    2012 Guinness Book of World Records

Big Nate books except Big Nate On A Roll

DVD: Rio

CD'S: Any AC/DC
    Lady Gaga (Born this Way)

MISCELLANEOUS:
    Remote Control Car
    AXE Gift Sets: Twist and Dark Temptations (I have seen these at Wal Mart)
    Clear Safety Glasses (for a BB gun)

Family #2

Dad has been at his job for 13 years, but makes just enough to make ends meet. Mom works part time to suppliment their income, cleaning houses, babysitting. They try really hard, but this year has taken a toll on them. They were pretty much resigned to the fact that Christmas wouldn't happen for them this year.

They have one 10 year old girl, and here is what Mom said about her.

She loves bugs, all animals especially dogs and being outdoors. She loves music and cranking up her cd player.
    She is 10 but and is over weight and short for her age. I found that the plus size 18 junior girls fits. But this summer I did buy a size 5 womens capri's and she needs adult shirts size large ..she loves XL but it looks so sloppy on her. She does fit in some pants with elastic in the waist that is size 14/16. She has no long sleeve shirts at all. She loves to wear skull prints on clothing..yuck I know but she loves it. She loves bright neon colors too. She loves hoodies!
    I do stress she doesn't like pink, dresses/skirts, lace, sparkles or girly things..just some girl accessories like jewelery,nail polish, hats, scarves etc.

Her wish list this year includes the following items:

"Now thats what you call music 40" Deluxe cd set

light blue hexbug spider
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hexbug-Spider/17248570

night vision goggles
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slinky-Science-Spyhawk-Night-Vision-Goggles/17048728

microphone set by paper jamz
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Paper-Jamz-Pro-Mic-Style-1/16874017

Flying fish
    http://www.amazon.com/Swimmers-Remo...=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1320968708&sr=1-1

She likes any kind of feather accessory like clip on earings , necklaces, etc except NO pink
    http://www.claires.com/store/goods/Tweens/cat310277/Pendant/p97108/Rainbow-Wings-Charm-Necklace/

she loves scarves and wants one of these in every color..but NO PINK
    http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Color-V...NJ6I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320969316&sr=8-6

Family 3

Dad is the primary bread winner. He's had a series of serious health problems that now have him at home, with a pic line, receiving meds thru IV until at least January. Christmas is now out of the question for these kids, as Mom and Dad are doing all they can just to make sure the bills are paid and there is food on the table.
    This family is also extended family of a very active 4042 member (who BTW, didn't ask us for help, we volunteered)

Boy Age 16
    Shirts-man’s M
    Pants – 30/32
    Shoes – 12.5
    NC State Fan, computer/games, athletic

Girl Age 13
    Shirt – women’s S
    Jeans – 1/2 Juniors
    Shoes – 10
    Girly-Girl, LOVES Pink Flamingos, has mentioned Justin Bieber Never Say Never DVD, does nails/hair all the time, make-up, zebra-striped lamp(?), NC State fan

Boy Age 7
    Shirt – 8 boys
    Pants – 10 boys
    Shoes – 3
    UNC Fan, likes Zoobles, Squinkies, Bug maker, all boy! (

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

NO PINK!

I love it. :lol:
    sounds like me when I was little

Alright everyone, you have the list, if any of you awesome 4042ers work/live near me, I'm happy to pick up your donation. I'm on 301 S in Smithfield, beside Holts Lake BBQ M-F

8. michelle

I shall start my shopping this weekend! Thanks for the info, Jenn!

9. JenniferK

Thank you so much to those of you who have begun to donate to CA 2011!!

We will be accepting donations until Thursday, December 15th.

10. JenniferK

Just a quick update and reminder!

Thank you to those of you who have started to donate. Your donations are adding up and making me feel very optimistic about this year's CA!

Reminder to those of you who will be out shopping this weekend...Look over the wish list and consider whether you can pick something up from the wishlist! Now would be the time to get it with all the great deals out there!

11. JenniferK

4042 Family...

It came to our attention over the weekend that one of our own (a very active 4042 member) has extended family that really needs our help.

They didn't ask us for help, we found out about the need through a prayer request. After discussion, we decided that even though donations have been pretty slim, we've got to try to help this family too.

In addition to the items on the list, we are also now collecting non-perishable food items, and tolietry items as well.

We only have 2 weeks left, and we are NO WHERE near our goal. Please consider opening your heart and your wallet to help out these families.

I know that personally, it's been a tough financial year for my family too. But... our bills are paid, we have food, and we have presents for our children. Consider those who aren't as fortunate as we are.

We teach our kids benevolance, it has to start with us.

Thank you for all you do!

12. JenniferK

Just a quick note to say thank you to those of you who have donated thus far! Donations have continued to come in over the weekend. I am hopeful that one night this week I can sit down and go thru the lists and cross off the physical items that have already been donated so that we don't have duplicates!

Without your generosity, Christmas for these three families might not have been a possibility, but with just under 10 days to go, I am confident we are going to make it happen!

Remember, we can meet you to pick up your donation, or you can at any time, paypal it to me directly at DaisiLou@aol.com

:grouphug::hurray:

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I LOVE my 4042.com family! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

14. JenniferK

Just wanted to let you all know that today is the very last day to PAYPAL a dontation to the Christmas Angels.

After today, we'll have to meet you to accept a donation.

4 days people! Thank you so much for your generosity thus far! You ARE making a difference!

15. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

do you by chance have an updated list or mind posting what is still needed?

16. JenniferK

Off the top of my head...

All three families can still use clothes.

Still in need of girly items (scarves, costume jewelry, makeup, etc)

Still in need of stocking stuffers, gift cards, personal items (razors, bodywash, etc.)

17. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

will bring you stuff this week.

18. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Ooo, I can help with the stocking stuffers. Let me know where and when you want to meet.

19. JenniferK

Rcarp...great! You know where to find me!

Marie, one of us can meet you at the CVS at 42 one evening this week if it works for you?

20. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Tonight is my last class for the year, so any other evening this week will work.