Clayton Park on Amelia Church Rd?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by froggerplus, Sep 5, 2007.

1. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Hey all~

Looking for someone who knows the answer...

The park on Amelia Church Rd...how big is the track? We're trying to mark a mile and time it, but I don't know how many laps will make a mile.

Thanks!
    Frogger
    <I know, I know. But then I'd have to call Clayton & sit on hold!>

2. Clif

Clif Guest

I'm not sure off hand how big the track is. However, I do know it is marked for distance.

3. froggerplus

It is? How?

(ok, no comments from the Peanut Gallery. Blonde roots showing today. It's my right. It's my birthday!!)

Frogger

4. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Frogger :mrgreen:

5. froggerplus

<bowing down>

Thank you, thank you SB :) . I've been told not to do anything after Kung Fu tonite...

Frogger

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

most tracks are marked with a small placard at every quarter mile :-D

7. Clif

Clif Guest

Actually, in this case, there is markings painted on the track. I believe the "start" is near the snack bar/restrooms.

8. KellBell

ok, the tracks that I walk on (6 days a week), are marked with a small placard at every quarter mile.

9. Clif

Clif Guest

I do not dispute that. Nor do I dispute your earlier post which said "most tracks" have such placards. I haven't seen many park tracks around here, so I can't say one way or the other. However, the question was specifically about the park on Amelia Church Road, which I live next to. That particular park does not have the placards (yet). One day, perhaps soon, it will also have said placards. The park is still a work in progress (it looks like they're about to double it's size) so it's entirely possible.

10. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I've been around that track a million times and never seen anything saying how long it is. I have seen a NO SWIMMING, IN CASE OF EMERGENCY , and all the little tree types and who donated them, but never seen a marker for distance. I may have not looked hard enough, but I don't believe there is one.
    I do know the one near SSS High School is awesome. It has a trail for advance users and it is marked of every quarter mile. Sorry, not much help!

11. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

there is not any markings / I asked years ago / the answer:

to go 1 mile it is 2xs around the track

12. KellBell

what is SSS High School? sorry for being stupid...

I am always looking for new scenery/tracks/trails. Thanks!

13. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Smithfield Selma High School off Booker Dairy Rd in Smithfield. Best track around. Takes you through the woods. Even has a little area for the ROTC training.......... tires to hurtle through, pull up bar , and such.

14. KellBell

THANKS! I will GOOGLE and find....sounds perfect for the weekends.

15. Clif

Clif Guest

Seems to me that's about right (as long as you don't take the long cut into the woods.

But the markings are there painted on the track.

16. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

This may be a dumb question, but where is this park you're talking about? I live in Cleveland, and don't know much about Clayton. Could you tell me what it's near, or the closest intersection? Is it a good place to take kids?

17. Clif

Clif Guest

It's near the corner of Amelia Church Road and Guy Road. It's a great place for kids. There are two play areas, three baseball/softball fields, tennis courts, volleyball courts, and bocce courts. (No basketball, though).

There is a wooded area with a path that takes you across a couple of bridges and a small amphitheater. (During Halloween, they make it a "Haunted Forest".)

18. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Isn't that the intersection where they just put that new gas station? I guess I never paid attention to a park being there, it must be up Amelia on the way to 70?

19. HXCforCHRIST

HXCforCHRIST Well-Known Member

no actually back the other way on Amelia towards 42 right across from the Methodist(i think) church between 42 and guy

20. Clif

Clif Guest

Nope, not towards 42, towards 70 on Amelia Church (just past the apartments).