Clayton passes anti-tether ordinance

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by doggymom, Aug 6, 2008.

1. doggymom

doggymom Well-Known Member

2. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

I thought this was great. It really made be proud of Clayton. The only problem now is owners will get these tiny cages and throw the dogs in there. That to me is still not a life, but I guess better than being tied to a post.

3. le

le Well-Known Member

4. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

I do agree with you, 100%

There are a couple points that will be interesting - a 10 X 10 kennel runs about 175.00 - 250.00. I wonder how many of these owners will shell out that kind of money to keep their dogs. . .or if they find them other homes, or surrender them. At least in a kennel, the dog is safe from other dogs. A female in heat on a tether is open season for loose males. . .any dog on a tether looses much of it's ability to defend itself from other dogs roaming about. Kennels are better than chains, but nothing beats living in a home with a family.

If only other towns would follow and ban tethers as well, it would be a giant step in the right direction.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

All I can say is I am glad I live outside the city limits.

6. biguncfan

biguncfan Guest

You and me both. I have my outside dog on a runner. I see nothing wrong with a dog being on a runner. A chain or rope? Well I don't understand even having a dog then. BTW, you people in my subdivision who just open the front door and just let your dog out, you get what you deserve. If my un-neutered dog gives you a litter then oh well. Walk your house dog on a leash when they relieve themselves. Finally, keep your friggin dog out of my yard.

7. colinmama

colinmama Guest

I'm curious why you don't have your dog neutered?

8. doggymom

(D) Space requirements. Enclosures shall be constructed and maintained so as to provide sufficient space to allow each animal to make normal postural and social adjustments with adequate freedom of movement to maintain physical conditioning. The animal should be able to sit, stand, turn, and lie without obstruction. Adequate space for food and water containers must be provided. Inadequate space may be indicated by evidence of malnutrition, poor condition, debility, stress, or abnormal behavioral patterns. Animals shall not be tied, chained, fastened, or otherwise tethered to any stationary or inanimate object as a means of confinement or restraint to property, but must be in an approved enclosure.

See above " adequate freedom of movement to maintain physical conditioning"

:)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  9. biguncfan

biguncfan Guest

We inherited him from the wife's grandparents after both passed away. He's ten yrs old now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it comes to mind. BTW, I know all about the benefits of having it done. I choose not too. My doxie is fixed because he was humping the crap out of everything.

10. doggymom

My job is not to agree or disagree with the ordinance, simply to enforce it. Those who know me know where I stand and that is quite simply....
    Anything that improves the quality of life of an animal is a good thing and a positive thing. period.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Aren't those tow things kind of contradictory?

"I will enforce the ordinance" on one hand, than on the other "anything that improves"???

12. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

I can't understand why you'd want a dog in the first place if all its going to do is stay tied up, which is what happens to most of them, never get off the chain, what greater purpose does this serve, to be able to say "hey Bo, I got a such and such type dog at home.........", WOW what a great thing for another living creature. If your posting on here and have a dog tied up outside, seems to me you've chosen another way to spend your money other than using a very small fraction of it that could be put to better use for your family pet. Maybe could've gotten a little cheaper computer? Just saying................priorities are so different from person to person but if having a dog meant I had to tie it up outside than I wouldn't have a dog. Same as kids, if I can't afford to them or have the time to devote to their raising etc., I wouldn't of had them.
    JMHO

13. mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

Well said ITB...couldn't agree more.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My dog spends most of his time in the house when we are home during the day and in his Pen at night. He does want to go outdoors on his tethered run occasionally and when we are gone for short periods of time or working outside he also stays on the tether.

This ordenance went to far in my opinion.

My dog is very happy with his situation and we love him, in my opinion he was a Lucky Dog in that we got im from the JC Animal Shelter.

Don't Preach to me!

15. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Hught, our dog is inside/outside. She has full access to the house with a doggie door to the back yard, where there is an electronic fence. That being said, there are rare situations where I need my dog contained in a smaller area outside in case she has to pee. For instance, company's coming with small children. Since we don't have kids, I'm not sure how the dog will react and I'm not willing to take a chance. We don't have a pen.

We have a line that goes between 2 trees in the yard, and I have absolutely no problem or qualms of conscience "tethering" her to that line. She's a happy dog, and although she really doesn't like it when we put her on that line, she is not abused in any way. She's never been there very long. I'm saying 3 or 4 hours. I've spent quite a few hours in airports (or maybe even doctor's offices!) where I've been very unhappy to be, much more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. Guess what? I survived and it wasn't a life-threatening experience.

I do have a major problem with people who tie their dog to a post or tree and leave them there all the time. I agree, why have a dog? But that's not what you said.

16. INTHEBUFF

Late response due to work.
    Wouldn't think of preaching to a Choir boy, ever. So, the dog actually states to you "hey, you over there, owner, I want to go outside where I can see the birds, butterflys and run to my hearts desire, oh and by the way please....oh please tie me up so I can't run to my heart desire or chase the birds which is in my nature etc." Yep, I just bet he loves it outside being tethered. People like you just don't get it, where's his freedom to exhibit his natural tendencies of hunting, running and just plain ole good exercise. I've made the monetary sacrifice to purchase an underground containment system (WOW! a whole $150) for my dogs, so that when I am home they have the freedom of the yard for exercise etc., we have a better relationship with them through outdoor play time, this situation creates a healther dog and for the younger dog little to no issues resulting in boredom. Just so many other ways other than tethering. My inground system is used exactly as intended, not a babysitter but a system that allows my dogs the freedom they deserve in a contained area determine by me, with the family nearby. No, this doesn't keep other dogs out of your yard but neither does a rope. No, this is not something you put your dog on and then leave for work for an 8 hour day, but neither is a rope. From the above statement you made, I use my system the same as you use your tethering system, difference is my dogs I would bet are much happier and healthier than yours are. When I'm outside in the yard they are too and will run around like little puppies, running here....running there and always checking up on me. These are wonderful systems if used appropriately, I encourage you and others that feel they don't have a choice and can't afford any type of fencing to look at these type systems and find out for yourselves the difference it will make in your dogs life. This can be used for any age dog and let's face it $150 is not much when you consider your've spent much, much more on a computer and what-nots.:)

17. INTHEBUFF

No I'm not full of myself. This is how I feel and this is my honest opinion about this matter. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN TETHERING DOGS!!!!!!!! Your full of bull**** yourself bud. AND ANOTHER THING, THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN A LEASED DOG OUT FOR A WALK THAN A DOG TIED UP ON A ROPE OUTSIDE ALL DAY LONG, IN HOT WEATHER, COLD WEATHER, NEVER GETTING OFF FOR EXERCISE ETC.
    That is what the tethering issue is about. For the posters that stated they use a tether just for periodic use, I don't have that much a problem with because most of them stated their dogs were inside dogs etc. My response was the statement made that his dog ask to go out and be tethered. My SUGGESTIONS were for some of those to look at and CONSIDER possibly a containment system such as underground fencing. My dogs have 3 acre of land to run on with this system. I made a suggestion and added with information about another method for people to use other than tethering. This is my opinion take it or leave it but don't come off with your high and mighty attitude and tell me I'm full of myself because you don't know me.

18. le

le Well-Known Member

come on, "...corrected the individuals..." you gotta be kidding me.

19. INTHEBUFF

It's very obvious you have your head stuck in the sand on this issue. This is being done not because of the ones that tether the dogs for a short amount of time but it's a case of those bad apples that tether for life, with the dog never getting off the rope or tow chain, left out in all kinds of weather. Do you honestly think they'd being doing this is there wasn't reasonable cause? If you don't live in the immediate township of Clayton and don't tether your dog, guess you don't have anything to worry about. Do ya? I've seen some horrible situations in my job traveling across this country, visiting my patients in their homes and the further out in the country the worst the situations for these dogs gets. This first hand look at their conditions is were I get my so called "irrational" ways, along with calling the authorities when I find a child in horrible, inbearable living conditions.

20. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member