Clear Cutting

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, May 21, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I think when my neighbor gets home I will get the lumber manager's number from him and call the person just to get some clarification and to possibly mark out the boundary, considering there were no eip's set on that side. And maybe even call Son-Lan.

But question for anyone. Shouldn't the people who live adjacent to the property in question have been notified or is that just a mute point?

I know I am just :beathorse:

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

They have to notify you (or "ask your permission") if they'll have to cross your property ... otherwise, I'm not sure what the obligations are for notifications.

3. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Next of kin? :jester:

4. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

Sorry this is a pet peeve. It's a "moot point". NOT "mute"

Idioms & Phrases

moot point

A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance. For example, Whether Shakespeare actually wrote the poem remains a moot point among critics , or It's a moot point whether the chicken or the egg came first . This term originated in British law where it described a point for discussion in a moot , or assembly, of law students. By the early 1700s it was being used more loosely in the present sense.

mute [myoot] Show IPA

adjective, mut·er, mut·est.

silent; refraining from speech or utterance.

not emitting or having sound of any kind.

incapable of speech; dumb.

(of letters) silent; not pronounced

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

:p

:lol:

6. Rockyv58

Thanks I stand corrected. Been spelling it wrong for decades. Darn English language :jester:

7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

"But question for anyone. Shouldn't the people who live adjacent to the property in question have been notified or is that just a mute point?"

No. as long as they don't get on your property. If they cut your trees they have to pay you. You don't call son-lan and inform them you are planning to mow the grass do you?

8. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

:cheers: My boss said it "mute point" this morning. I didn't correct him though, LOL. 8)

9. Rockyv58

10. old school

old school Well-Known Member

The etiquette for correcting another person’s grammar is that you don’t, not unless you have blanket permission and a compelling reason to do so. Even then, never interrupt a train of thought or a serious conversation. The English language has been around for 600 years in its present form, give or take a century, depending on which linguistic historian you ask, and is the dominant language worldwide for business, science, and politics. It is, in short, sturdier than the average friendship and in need of less coddling.

Some people correct others’ grammar more out of unthinking habit than out of a deep protective instinct toward the mother tongue. It’s a verbal tic with them, as swearing or automatically making wisecracks is for other people.

11. Rockyv58

temporarily postponed

I received an email from my neighbor last night, whose yard they will be going through to get to the trees and this is what they sent me "THAT THE LOGGERS WILL NOT BE COMING RIGHT NOW THEY SAID IT WAS TOO WET BACK THERE FOR THEIR MACHINES AND DO NOT KNOW WHEN THEY WILL BE COMING TO DO IT."

Personally I hope it stays too wet for them to cut. I just worry once they start cutting and we get rain then their trucks get stuck in the mud back there.

12. Rockyv58

I was talking to my neighbor this morning. The time on the contract to go through his yard and start cutting expired on June 30th because the ground has been too wet to get the equipment back in their. Since it expired they asked if they can extend it and he refused. So for now its off. Until they find another home owner allows them to go through their yard to get to the timber.