Cleveland Electrical Substation

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sacosta, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Walmart does not have the ability to take land through eminent domain in NC, but the utilities and railroad do have that ability because they serve the common good.

§ 40A-3. By whom right may be exercised.
    (a) Private Condemnors. – For the public use or benefit, the persons or organizations listed below shall have the power of eminent domain and may acquire by purchase or condemnation property for the stated purposes and other works which are authorized by law.
    (1) Corporations, bodies politic or persons have the power of eminent domain for the construction of railroads, power generating facilities, substations, switching stations, microwave towers, roads, alleys, access railroads, turnpikes, street railroads, plank roads, tramroads, canals, telegraphs, telephones, electric power lines, electric lights, public water supplies, public sewerage systems, flumes, bridges, and pipelines or mains originating in North Carolina for the transportation of petroleum products, coal, gas, limestone or minerals. Land condemned for any liquid pipelines shall:
    a. Not be less than 50 feet nor more than 100 feet in width; and
    b. Comply with the provisions of G.S. 62-190(b).
    The width of land condemned for any natural gas pipelines shall not be more than 100 feet.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    The Truth and DWK like this.
  2. The Truth

The Truth Member

3. Nani13

Nani13 Member

Here's the problem though, there was no guarantee of the amounts claimed for the CSX buyout!This was the amounts that the Mayor was trying to negotiate from CSX.

4. Nani13

Nani13 Member

You may also want to do a little research on that "eminent domain" concept. There's a fella in California that's been fighting a large corporate car dealership from taking over his property for an expansion. Yes, some corporations HAVE found the loopholes. And it's happening in various parts of the country. Even though the original law states utilities, railroads, etc, it is becoming a growing trend. Once it gets just so far, it will then become a "who has the best lawyers" ballgame. And the little guy no longER has a chance.

5. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Like it or not. I don't, but it'll be here. Come, bleed, or blister.

The Truth likes this.
  6. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The State laws in California or any other states do not apply to North Carolina, which is why I listed the NC statute.

California law does not appear to allow private corporations to acquire property through eminent domain either:

https://eminentdomain.uslegal.com/state-laws-on-eminent-domain/california/

The Truth likes this.
  7. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Cynadon, You know where I live. In the summer time my street tends to loose power every now and then while the rest of the community is still lit up. Do you thing the new substation will help with the electric consumption in our area?

TIA

8. The Truth

The Truth Member

Did you live in the proposed CSX site or are you just going by second hand information? Are you in the proposed line for utility line?

9. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Question... Was csx ever actually considering four oaks for the rail hub? From what I saw it was only a plan the mayor had put together to attempt to lure csx to the area. The mayor called for a meeting with csx and from what I heard they never responded to him.

CLJ, poppin cork and cynadon like this.
  10. cynadon

yes rocky, we got a brown out problem. the engineer said the substation will fix that. Being as we be close to the source, you might be fixed first. As long as you aint on the end of the line

The Truth likes this.
  11. Nani13

Nani13 Member

12. Nani13

Nani13 Member

I live within a mile of the formerly proposed CSX site. No, the lines currently don't cross my property, but it does affect several friends.

13. Nani13

Nani13 Member

14. Nani13

Nani13 Member

Yes,it was considered. And heavily pushed by the Smithfield Selma Chamber once they got it out of their yard. Ironic huh? They even tried to pull off secret meetings at the Joco Airport so the bigwigs from CSX wouldn't see all the signs and pushback in Four Oaks. They didn't manage to keep it secret enough.

15. cynadon

Nani13, congratulations!!!! CSX went elsewhere. You signed up yesterday. If you will be here long enough, Wayne will explain it to you.

16. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Csx was offering a payout in selma not four oaks.

CLJ likes this.
  17. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Who's back yard do you all think should get this? You know, other than yours. Of course you have that DUKE energy electricity to help you type your response, right?:cool:

The Truth and cynadon like this.
  18. The Truth

The Truth Member

Nobody wants it in their yard but obviously it will go somewhere. People need to realize things are growing and changing in Johnston County even if people try to fight it.

Hught and cynadon like this.
  19. Nani13

Nani13 Member

South River Electric, and yet still in the broad spectrum zone for the lines.

20. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Mighty broad spectrum.

The Truth likes this.