"Cleveland Market" - Proposed Shopping Center on Cleveland Road near Fire Station

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Oct 28, 2015.

1. jwc099

jwc099 New Member

Did anybody go to the meeting on Nov 2nd or know if this was approved?

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

3. jesse82nc

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

The last 2 days they have been putting in new light poles on McLemore and corner of Fire Dept. Road, I guess in anticipation of building on that parcel :)

5. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

Anyone know if it was approved? We need another Food Lion like I need another hole in my head. Why not court a higher end place like Harris Teeter?

Hitch

Rockyv58 likes this.
  6. jesse82nc

Two posts above yours it says it was approved.

7. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

That would be great, food lion has gone downhill with the new "upgrades" in my opinion. It looks like wal-mart in there now. I suppose if we all added another zero to our incomes like the folks in other areas where they actually do build... But thats a diffrent topic.

8. youwish2bme

Sorry was looking at it on my phone... Any reason we need another Food Lion and not a different Supplier?

Hitch

9. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The process is to approve the use of the land according to a plan not to determine which companies can use said land. Many would balk at the thought of such increased restrictions on businesses.

10. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

Exactly. If Publix, Harris Teeter, etc had wanted the land, they could have made an offer just like Food Lion did I suppose! When/if our demographics ever fit their business model I'm sure we will see them moving into the area. Right now we fit Food Lion and Sheetz demographics it appears. Tomorrow, who knows.

11. youwish2bme

I think the Johnston County planning department needs to start planning and not just approving what appears to be any project requested. The rapid expansion of Sheetz in the area. Now multiple Food Lion stores. What's next a McD's next to DR Wells?

bissielizzie likes this.
  12. jesse82nc

If you don't like how they vote, you can voice your opinion at their meetings. They are open to the public and they welcome public comment.

Bucky, Wayne Stollings and Rockyv58 like this.
  13. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

They would have a problem voting down a project because it is for a certain company though. Saying a property is good for a supermarket, for example, is about the extent of their legal authority not that one property is good for a Lowes and another is good for a Food Lion regardless of public opinion.

14. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

Yup. And then they can start telling us what clothes we can wear and what cars, if any, that we can drive or what days of the week we can shop, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure you get the point. It's called "free enterprise" with the emphasis on free, for a reason. We need less government intervention in our day to day existence, not more.

Auxie, poppin cork and jesse82nc like this.
  15. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Absolutely, we have been saying this for years about the planning department. Another problem with the planning department is that they do not enforce the agreements with businesses especially in the 4042 area which is termed "prime growth" when a business is in violation of the original agreement for their permit and a complaint is lodged they eventually just have the business owner/property owner appear before the board and they change the requirements of the permit so the business owner is not in violation and the residents get screwed. The planning board has no real interest in what the residents what/or need. They just rubber stamp pretty much any request.

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Amen. Enforcement is lacking.

17. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Exactly. They would be opening themselves up for lawsuits if they turned down a project for Food Lion and then another grocery store was approved.

Wayne Stollings likes this.
  18. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I like the renovated Food Lion at 40/42. I think it looks nice and is easier to find stuff now. My wife does most of regular grocery shopping at Wal Mart, but ill go to Food Lion on the way home.

19. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I see last week that they have marked out and surveyed the whole property!!! Wonder how soon Food Lion will be there!!!

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Weird, at 9:52 pm there were over 165 "Guests" in addition to the 10 "robots" looking at the Johnston County Today website. When I went to look and see what they were looking at the website indicated that almost all our "guests" were looking at this thread! :confused: