"Cleveland Market" - Proposed Shopping Center on Cleveland Road near Fire Station

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Oct 28, 2015.

1. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

It has already been identified as a Food Lion, so you can definitely bet it won't be a Harris Teeter.

2. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd rather have neither. Just a nice modern, but country-looking store with decent prices would be fine by me. But I doubt that's gonna happen!

Auxie likes this.
  3. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

I use to love looking at open fields 40 years ago too. Welcome to reality peaches.

cynadon and Auxie like this.
  4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Yeah. I liked riding motorcycles from DR Wells store to the other side of 42 without touching much highway. Oh well.

5. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

The "reality" of the matter is that we don't need to let businesses come through here and develop willy-nilly - throwing up cheap strip mall type stores right next to a beautiful historical property. We all accept the fact that Cleveland will undoubtedly grow, that's a given, but why shouldn't we have a say in how it looks? I don't think that's too much to ask, but thanks for insulting me.

6. poppin cork

The family of the said historical property are one and the same as the planners of the project. You insult yourself, I'm afraid, by not knowing of what you speak. We just see the issue differently. The offense in this case is taken but was not given as far as I'm concerned. Nothing personal, just a point of view.

cynadon likes this.
  7. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether the "family of said historical property are one in the same as the planners" or not, it still would be nice if people living in the Cleveland neighborhood had a say as to whether or not they would agree to the kind of structure that is being proposed on that particular site. Attacking my opinion, (and one that has been expressed before on this very same subject) and being condescending to me by calling me "peaches" is just plain rude and ungentlemanly.

8. poppin cork

Did you pick the style of house you wanted? The color, the shingles, the mail box? Did you let the community vote on your landscaping or any of the previously listed items? And, last but not least; have you considered Cary, NC?

9. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Aren't they thee ones who sold the land to the developer?

Auxie likes this.
  10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Or one of the other localities who have input into the building designs such as Morrisville, or Chapel Hill, or Durham, or Raleigh, or the RTP, or Hillsborough, or .....

11. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

For goodness sake! Nobody wants Cleveland to become another Cary! Not that I could even afford one of those fancy homes there, but you couldn't pay me to live there on account of the lifestyle. No thanks. As I've said, a market next to the fire station would be convenient for a lot of people, there's no question about that. And yes, growth will come whether we like it or not, and I understand your "sour grapes" about new people moving in and changing the place, and watching home prices here skyrocket because of it. It is troubling. I'm hopeful that the owners of that parcel will not build "another Cary", or worse, and try to respect our rural character. But with the population of Cleveland set to double in the next 10-15 years, it may be completely unavoidable. If the day comes when I can no longer enjoy the sunsets over the tobacco fields, see the cattle grazing off in the distance, or avoid seeing houses built on top of each other, like so much stacked cordwood, well that'll be the day that I move further out. Sometimes you just don't know what you've got, until it's gone.

Auxie likes this.
  12. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Like virginity.

Auxie and DWK like this.
  13. poppin cork

And as we know, all of those areas are incorporated. We aren't.

14. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I figure the only constant is change, So if you are not part of the solution in change then you are part of the problem. If you (myself included) don't want things coming or being rezoned then go to the public hearing.

15. Wayne Stollings

Technically, no, unless you can name the mayor and council members for RTP, but there does have to be a mechanism in place to provide input. One would think the establishment of such a mechanism would be part of opining about the benefits of being able to make such input.

16. Wayne Stollings

Or if you do support a zoning change or new development coming in too. Those who are tasked with making the determination need as much input as possible if they are going to reflect the will of the community.

DWK and Rockyv58 like this.
  17. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Now that was clever and funny! Lol.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    poppin cork likes this.
  18. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

they put up silt fence this week.

19. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Yep, you're right. Saw that too today.

20. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if you go to the public hearings. The side with the most money ends up coming out on top. In this matter, there was plenty of opposition represented at the meeting. One notable being the president of JCC who lives in the brick house just before the curve on the right. Plenty others from local neighborhoods and the one across the street. Guess what, it didn't change anything. It was still pushed right through!