Cleveland Middle-- anyone have problems there?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I've heard nothing but negative about Cleveland Middle school. I've tried to keep a positive attitude going into this. However, I've gotten nothing but resistance and attitude from the school. To make things a bit more complicated, my child is in the special ed program. Now,they can't even tell me who her teacher is and it is the day before orientation! Beyond outraged at this point in time in dealing w/ JCPS. I have a call into Central office and next stop is the Dept. of Ed. in Raleigh once again. Anyone else have trouble in dealing w/ the staff at Cleveland Middle or is it just us again? I would like to know how to deal w/ this school as we have many other children after our oldest going. I appreciate anyone's ideas on how to better approach as this is our first time dealing w/ a Middle School. I'd also like to hear if anyone had any positive experiences w/ this school and what they were.

Good Luck to everyone on a new school year!

-- a concerned parent

2. cherokee

cherokee Well-Known Member

A friend of mine child went there, and was in the special education program there if you would like if you pm I will have her call you.

They should be able to tell you who your child's teacher is? What are they saying about a teacher when you ask them?

Auxie likes this.
  3. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

CMS is a good school, but the principal's baby has been hospitalized and an AP just had her baby. Therefore, the office is shortstaffed right now. Perhaps they are still in the hiring process for an EC teacher which would be why they don't have a name yet.

4. Abdulina

I just got off the phone w/ central office. won't go into detail b/c I may say not so nice things.

I understand about the happenings w/ the principal. And I do sympathize. HOWEVER, this was something that was supposed to be taken care of at the end of last year. In the IEP specifically. In addition, if I ask you a question (office staff), a kind explanation would be nice. The vague answers and pretending not to know does not sit well w/ parents. Just a thought.

So far, I am less than impressed w/ Cleveland Middle. No wonder so many parents warned me of what happens at the school. I have heard from teachers that work there, friends w/ kids there, kids themselves that go there and some bus drivers that work there of what exactly happens at that school. I will keep a sharp eye out. Maybe a TV station would get more results from them than myself...hmmmm.

Thanks so much for your answers both on here and off list. Hope the rest of the year goes better but I am not holding my breath at this point. what I am doing, however, is keeping a very detailed record of EVERYTHING.

Good luck to all of you who have kids in the JCPS. This makes our decision to want to move all that much easier.

5. Karen

Karen Guest

Good riddance. you don't sound much like you like it here anyway. there are other places to live!!!

6. BenDover

BenDover Well-Known Member

Well, with your very negative attitude to start the year what else do you expect? You had a bad opinion before your kids have even started. um can you say, HELLO?

I have an opinion. Stay where you are.

7. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

All 3 of my kids have been CMS students, and it has been a good experience. The teachers have been responsive to me every time I had a question or concern. I think, as with anything in life, you get what you expect. I'm not saying that you have to be a Pollyanna about everything, just give others the same benefit of doubt that you'd want from them.

That being said, I have to throw this in, too. #1: I grew up in Raleigh, good old Wake County Public Schools...went to 8 schools in 12 years. Definitely not what you want for your child.
    #2: When I moved back (after college and marriage), we put our oldest in a Christian school near my husband's work (since we didn't know where we were going to buy a house). Moved my child to Cleveland elementary once we moved here. I worked at Polenta, briefly,also. Those schools are as good (or better) than the private Raleigh school. The parents are involved and try to work with the teachers and staff and that's what makes a school work.

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Cut them some slack

Ab,
    If I misinterpreted your posts, I will apologize. The tone of them, however, seems to me that you are one of those parents who expect everything and whine when things don't go your way. (Certainly, the implied threat about having to go to the State Dept of Public Instruction, or having some zealous reporter from channel "X" to expose shortcomings comes across that way. I wonder at what you think they'd find in the expose'? I'll bet that any examination of the process and the school and staff would show a committed educational system trying to do the best they can. I can appreciate being engaged in your child's education. Blaming and trash talking about the school, the staff, etc tarnishes your standing.
    The "normal" routine of getting back to school is chaotic enough. When key people are out of the loop (remember, they have lives also - and have to compress practically everything into a 8 week summer) things slow down more so.
    I am married to a teacher. Our daughter is in school here, because we wanted to be part of the best schools around. And although we haven't rec'd the letter identifying her teacher, I see enough stuff going on in a positive manner to know that it will happen.
    I value the seemingly never-ending job that the teachers and staff perform, each and every day. We are committed to my child's success and choose to positively engage the school system to get the most bang for our buck.
    It's too easy to criticize and generalize about JoCo schools. I've seen much worse.
    Perhaps, another school system or private education might be best for you and your child. That way, if you feel that your child's needs aren't being met, you have more recourse.
    Good Luck!

9. cherokee

That's not it folks.

First let me say its very frustrating when you can't get an answer to what teacher your child is going to have. I am sure most of your children have received a schedule of there classes. Mine received there's a month ago.

When you have a child with special needs they have what they call an IEP. That is a plan for how your child is going to educated and its the law. If they don't have a teacher in place usually means the iep wasn't looked at. Say for instances your child has dyslexia, the iep discusses how teacher will handle a situation with teaching the child to read or write.

I am sorry but I havent read anything in the post that says she is trashing the school, staff or the adminstrators. She just asked them to do there job., and let her know who the teacher is. I really dont think that is much to ask.

As far as other counties I grew up in Wake and the schools here are better but maybe instead of giving parents the run around maybe they should just be honest right from the get go and then parents wouldnt be left feeling unsure about the school itself.

cherokee

10. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

What if your child is getting a newly hired teacher? I know that new teachers must (by law!) have a specific number of hours in orientation if they aren't considered highly qualified in NC. (Some states' licenses are not recognized in NC if the teacher did not take the Praxis test.) Also, what if a teacher was hired and then withdrew from the teaching contract? That could be why they don't have a name yet! Only the principal can recommend someone to be hired, not an AP. With the principal out...

Also, IEPs will be looked at by the head of the department first, and I am sure she has already done so. She alerts ALL teachers to the special needs of their students. They WILL read the IEP, but with meeting after meeting during the workday, orientation materials to get ready, and a classroom to organize, they might not get to it until right before the first day of class. Is this ideal? Of course not. However, I have NEVER heard of an IEP not being followed at CMS, except for one where the parents never came to any renewal conferences and by law could no longer be in place.

I am a teacher in JCS, but I do not work at CMS. My children are no longer there although I have had a lot of close contact with the wonderful EC department. They are a truly blessed, wonderful group of people!

11. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

I think once people realize THEIR child isn't the ONLY child in JCPS......

wait who am I kidding, some people will never get it. Why even try... carry on betchin' :roll:

12. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

BTW, most middle schools do not send out letters with teachers' names. At orientation you pick up a schedule since you have 7-8 teachers each day, including electives. Since there is a lot of information the teachers need to give to you at orientation, they don't give out the schedules early. If you miss orientation, you can usuallly get them the next day. Some parents would think if they had the schedule, they wouldn't need to attend orientation!

13. Abdulina

Okay, first off, sorry if the post appeared so negative but that is NOT what was intended. My story is very unique and cannot go into detail on here. I have had trouble since ALL of my children entered the school system. It's been this way every year. I have tried. All my kids are in special ed in one form or another. My daughter's transition has to be closely monitored or she WILL end up at the hospital. It is a very unique situation and we are trying to protect by making sure everything is in place. Our neurologist yesterday said this has to be taken care of or you are going to have major problems w/ your daughter. (that's the doctor talking, not us) Details HAVEt to be given to the teacher ahead of time. That's why we made sure everything was in place at the last school meeting. We have attended each and every school meeting.

Last year, the Dept. of Education in Raleigh was written. That was the only time I got response. It was sad that it came to that. But as someone stated before, the IEP is like a law and must be followed. They violated not one but several of our childrens' IEP's. It was not in the best interest of the child. Our special needs children have every right to a good education just as the rest of our kids do. I only want what is fair. I've had some excellent teachers over the years and am not denying that. In fact, in my letter last year, I stated that some of them deserved a medal. However, I also named names after being silent for years of what some had done. Like when there was a field trip for the special ed class and a teacher left the child on the bus for 20 minutes b/c she forgot.

I'm not going into detail over everything that has happened. I grew up in public schools in NC. But they have changed immensely since I went. We love this town, the community and SOME of the teachers we've had. But my son is entering 5th grade and this will be his 6th school. JCPS has moved him that much despite the fact that it states in his IEP that it was detrimental to his learning to do that. I could give you all kinds of inconsistencies and incidents that have happened to our children. For the bashers, I'm not saying all the teachers are bad. In fact, like I stated before, we've had some excellent ones. BUT when the head of the special ed dept. looks you in the eye years ago and says "she'll never pass a second grade level." you want to scream. She didn't know my child at the time, never had met her, etc. My child has excelled in her learning. Did I rub this in anyone's face...no. I just was overjoyed my child had done so well.

For those who don't know, special education works MUCH differently than regular ed. Most parents of special ed children will tell you that yo uhave to really advocate for your child to get what they need. And that's what I ahve been doing all these years. Unless you have been where I have been, you would never understand. I guess that's why it is very difficult to maintain a positive attitude when you've had the system fail you year after year. I must say, I have since yesterday received a very gracious appology for everything that had transpired thus far at Cleveland Middle. It was great to see that someone actually noticed what went wrong. Okay, whether they noticed or it was central office that notice, doesn't matter. What matters is they are trying to fix the problem and hopefully make this a good year. And for the person who said about the 7 or 8 teachers, that's just it. With special ed, you don't get that many. You get one.

I appreciate those who wrote off list. Those w/ special ed students do understand how I feel. And this is not just a local problem. I talk to parents all over the country. IT happens everywhere w/ special ed. And the thing is, w/ great teachers, great help, our kids can excell and get out of special ed. That is what happened w/ my son last year. He had one of the best teachers ever! Thanks again for all the help that some of you gave. I wish everyone the best in the education system here. Middle school is new ground for us and I'm just trying to make sure we don't lose any more years of learning.

Take care,

14. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

All the kids and parents in our neighboorhood that go there or have gone there liked it a lot. Teachers and Admin.

15. cherokee

That is impossible. There is absolutely no way one person can sit down a week before school starts and read every child in this county iep. My neighbor's son is going to a new school this year and they have lost his iep. They asked her for a copy of hers. Of course she told them they could have a copy but they needed to find there file. So out there somewhere in Johnston county school land this child educational plan is floating.

Be up front and let the parents know, most parents would understand that instead of saying nothing. Parents just want there special needs kids to be taken care of.

Oh I have there no different than any other school in this county. Not bashing the school but when they hire unqualified teachers this is what happens.

I think the parents of special needs children know there kids are not the only ones in the schools here, believe me there told that at every opportunity. I think you should speak to my friend regarding that.

Your right when my kids went to Cleveland they never got there schedules until orientation. Thank god my kids go somewhere different know and there schedule along with the manadotory school supplies list came early.

Not everyone's situation is a cut and dry as you want to make it out to be so don't judge. I dont think we really tried to help this person by slamming her for being upset when the school itself failed.

cherokee

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I happen to agree with Cherokee's post up there, no one wants to feel like their child is just another number to the school system, special needs or not.

I personally am not happy we didn't even find out who my son's second grade teacher is until Friday, orientation is Wed. night and school of course starts this Friday, there was no supply list included. So us "OCD" types have to run around like chickens with our heads cut off although I'm sure he probably won't need any of that stuff at least till the following Monday and I already have most of what he will need, I'm sure.

Yes, I know the teachers didn't come back till the 17th, but I'm not buying that the schools themselves didn't know before that day because of all the re-districting, new students, etc. They had to have something to give to the teachers, right? I don't remember it being that way last year, someone correct me if I'm wrong please although I'm sure you will! :wink:

17. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Chill out Abdulina and Cherokee. :shock:

First of all; the public schools teach to the "middle". If you have smart children or not so smart children, maybe the public school system is not the right place for them.

Second; most "new" teachers do not survive beyond the first few years. They leave for other professions. Why? :?: Because of the working conditions compounded by parents like you who expect perfection. Because of low pay. Because of the bureaucracy and administrators.

Third; new schools are opening. Teachers are leaving for new schools and other school systems which pay a larger supplement. New teachers are being hired right up to the last day and beyond.

Chill. :)

It can always be worse.

18. cherokee

The two most basic rights ensured by the IDEA is that every disabled student is entitled to a free and appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment (LRE). To ensure a FAPE, a team of professionals and parents meet to determine the student's unique educational needs, develop annual goals for the student, and determine the placement, program modifications, testing accommodations, counseling, and other special services that the student needs through the development of an Individualized Education Program (IEP). The educational agency is required to develop and implement an IEP that meets the standards of federal and state educational agencies.

So basically every child has the right to attend public school with there peers. Smart and not so smart.

I do expect that all children be treated with respect and dignity. I demand
    children be taught to the best of there abilities. I do demand that teachers be held to a higher standard than someone who works at a grocery chain or a bank. (I have worked at both places) These teachers mold our children's future so why not hold them to a higher standard.

My oldest daughter graduated with a bachelor degree in educated knowing that the pay for teacher's is lower than what it cost her to be put through college. She teaches because she loves the kids. I think they should pay teachers more because I see how much she spends her own money for her classroom so that her children can learn.

So basically you chill

cherokee

19. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

It's wonderful that you can understand & sympathize. Usually when you have a kind, understanding attitude & treat others with kindness & respect - the same kindness & respect is shown to you in return. We all have to fight & stand up for our kids at some point - but hopefully we don't feel the need to trash everything & everyone else in the process. It does sound like you are having a bad experience and that you are frustrated - but if you went to the school looking for help and displayed the same attitude there as you did here - my guess is that folks weren't tripping over their feet to help you.

So far I've been extremely impressed with the schools & teachers in this area. After doing lots of research - I chose the area I currently live in mostly due to the reputation of the schools and the wonderful things I read & heard from parents attending Johnston county Schools. So far I've loved the years we've had dealing with the Johnston County school system. No Wonder So Many Parents had so many good things to say about what happens at the schools. I too have spoken with teachers who work there, friends with kids who attend the school, kids themselves that go there and some bus drivers that work there concerning many wonderful things that happen there.

I have a friend who has a special needs child at a school in another state. Initially the child was placed in a self contained classroom for special needs children - but his mother wanted him to be main streamed with the other kids. In order to do this, the school provided a shadow - or an amployee who sat in the classroom for the sole purpose of helping this child. Unfortunately it wasn't in the schools budget to pay for a shadow the following year. Although my friend fought tooth & nail against the school system hoping they would reconsider and budget the money to pay for the shadow - she also realized that pulling the money out of the budget to help her son soley was drawing money away from the many needs all the other students had. In the end, my friend who happens to be a nurse changed her work schedule. She is a single mom. Her parents watch her son on the weekends while she pretty much spends all of her time at the hospital from Friday afternoon until Sunday night. Now she is her son's shadow in the main stream classroom. She attends school with him everyday. She sees how hard the teachers work and has a better understanding of the issues they were dealing with - at the same time, the teachers have learned a great deal more about how to best interact with and teach her son. She and the school are working as a team in the best interests of her son now - unlike in the past when they were fighting each other constantly and nothing was being accomplished. So much time and energy was wasted fighting - so much more can be done when you try to put yourself in someone elses shoes, try to understand that there are two sides to every issue, and then do what you can to make the outcome turn out the best for everyone involved. I realize that not all parents have a schedule or a job that is flexible enough to do something like this - however, I do think that many individuals spend far more time complaining about issues than they do helping to come up with a positive solution.

Hopefully you have become involved in the PTA or volunteering in your son's classroom. Hopefully when you run into issues that you have complaints about concerning the schools - you've stepped up, addressed the problem and offered to step in and help where you can. If you have the time to keep a "very detailed record of EVERYTHING", make calls to county offices and the TV stations - hopefully you've also budgeted time in to volunteer to help in the school.

Good luck Abdulina - and everyone one else who will be starting school in Johnston County Friday. I'm so excited about the new year. I'm sure my child will learn a great deal, make lots of new friends and have lots of new wonderful experiences. The great schools, the top-notched teachers, the involved parents and the brilliant students makes our decision to stay all that much easier :)

20. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

When I was growing up we didn't find out who we had until the day school started. kdc - I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Like you, I was dying to know who my child's teacher was going to be also - just because it was driving me crazy not knowing. However, my sanity isn't the schools responsibility and my finding out at an earlier date who my child will have as a teacher really doesn't make a huge difference in my child's educational career. I just wanted to be able to see who was going to be in the same class and have time to find out more about the teacher - but truthfully it was me who wanted to know - not my son. As far as school supplies go - yes it would be nice to know a little sooner what materials my child would need for class. However, almost everything the teachers ask for can be picked up during a single trip to Walmart. I don't think making a visit to Walmart on a crowded Wednesday/Thursday evening is too much to ask a parent to do when it comes to educating their child. Heck, I've seen lots & lots of parents drag their kids out of bed at the crack of dawn the day after Thanksgiving, stand in line for hours - all to save a few bucks. I'd say my son's education is far more important than getting a good deal at an after-Thankgiving day sale.

Like I said - I'm the worst when it comes to surprises :) I'm still trying to find out which kids will be in my son's 2nd grade class at Westview Elem. I'm more excited than he is. I can't blame parents for wanting to know - but I also am not going to fault the school for using their time on more important things like building the school, hiring & training staff, purchasing books & supplies .... rather than comforting parents and making the trip to the store for supplies easier.

Even if teachers submitted a supply list to a local store (Walmart for example), got a bulk discount for all the parents because the items were being purchased together rather than separately, collected money from the parents at orientation, picked up the truckload of supplies and placed them in the participating students desks so the parents wouldn't have to face any of the hassles associated with school supply shopping - the parents of the participating students would probably still go shopping somewhere a couple of days before school starts or a couple of days after school starts in the crowded shopping centers just because it seems to be part of a tradition. As silly as it may sound - I think many parents get a thrill out of the last minute shopping trip to get their little darlings all set for a new year at school :)

Have a Great Year Everybody :)