Cleveland Middle-- anyone have problems there?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Aug 21, 2006.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Melynda, you may not have been trying to give me a hard time, but I found that post a bit condescending. I don't need "comforting" That's the whole point of getting the list a little sooner. I HATE going to Walmart and fighting everyone else that just got their list too. I guarantee there will be at least one obscure thing on the list that Walmart will be out of that I will have to drag around to 3 stores to find. Its NEVER just one trip to Walmart only. Just like last year at Christmas, we got 2 days notice that they wanted new pencil boxes full of supplies for each kid for the classroom. There weren't any pencil boxes to be found in DECEMBER at Walmart, those are only stocked now during back to school. I ended up paying 3 times as much for the last one that CVS had. Was I aggravated? You bet. Did I complain to the school or the teacher? NOOOOO! You won't find a parent who is more commited or supportive of the school and my son's education than I am, I am simply venting on a message board like everyone else, I've never complained to the school, nor would I on something as trivial as that. By the way, I have NEVER dragged my kid out at the crack of dawn on the day after Thanksgiving to save a couple bucks, that's insane.

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Another reason, I'm glad I don't have kids :lol:

3. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

kdc - I didn't mean to sound condescending to you. From may of your posts, I've gathered that you are a committed parent. I just think that those involved with the school have been doing a tremendous amount of work lately trying to get things ready for our kids and I get a little defensive when it comes to them. I'm glad to hear that you'd never actually go to the school to make a formal complaint about this. I also realize that getting the lists a little late is annyoing. However, things could be much worse. Overall we have it pretty good. I know that you are just venting and you mean no harm. However, I also know that many kind, caring, wonderful teachers read this board and I would hate for them to see lots of negative remarks - without see a few positive ones too.

I don't think I could drag my child out at the crack of dawn to go shopping - but that because (like me) he wasn't blessed with an overly cheerful morning personality. Last year when I headed out shopping with a friend to catch the early bird specials the day after Thanksgiving - I had a blast. It looked like many of the kids who were out with their parents that morning were also having a great time. We all may do things differently - but just because its not something you or I would do - it doesn't make it a bad thing. For some families its just a quirky, crazy tradition to hit the sales. As long as its descent, good-spirited fun - I don't think I would hold it against any parent for spending time with their kids even it is at the crack of dawn.

As I said before, my posting wasn't meant to be condescending or mean to you. The purpose of my posting was to let teachers know what a great job I think they are doing. I think I mentioned before - I had a terribly hard time anxiously awaiting the news of who my child was going to have as a teacher. However, in the end - I knew that he was going to have a good one.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Agreed Melynda. 8)

5. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Cherokee:

I'm glad that you live in Utopia. I haven't found that place yet. What's the address? You can demand perfection all that you want. In the real world, you are not always going to get what you want.

I had to laugh at your cut and paste part about a free public education. You must really be in Utopia. What's free about a public education? If you work and/or own property, you pay taxes. Do they not have those in Utopia?

Any child has the "right" to attend public school, but as I wrote earlier, you get what you pay for. They teach to the average child. They can't be all to every child or parent.

Come back to the real world and chill. :)

6. Twitch

Twitch Well-Known Member

Ewww I hate to get in on this discussion but I happen to agree with cherokee. I agree there is nothing free about public education but there is that law that guarntees families there child has the right to receive free education.

I dont think you have to live in Utopia to demand a high quality education for ALL students.

Although I do understand that we pay taxes but if every dime we paid went for education, we wouldnt be ranked 33 in education.

As far as being aggrivated with the school system this is not something that happens just in this county but everywhere in NC. When you say if you treat someone with respect they will do the same is just not the case. My daughter had a teacher last year from West that was rude and made indecent comments about her breast. Several times I went to the Prinicipal and nothing was done. Something was done when I went to the Dept of Education in Raleigh. His a$$ was fired immediately so being nice is something that doesnt always work.

anyways good luck this year with the kiddies in school thank god my daughter is GRADUATING!!!!

TWITCH

7. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

It sounds like you had a bad teacher last year. Hopefully he was the exception to the rule. I'm sure your child had several teachers though - not just this one idiot. I've said many times - all it takes is one bad apple to ruin the barrel. It sounds like the school system did what it should - got rid of the idiot. My issue is that so often people jump to point out the one bad incident - but they never stop to mention all the good teachers and all the good experiences their child had. Hopefully this one bad apple won't ruin the image of all the great teachers we have at West. I think it is wonderful that your child is graduating. It's a great accomplishement that I'm sure you are very proud of. However, hopefully there are a few teachers who did teach her a great deal during her school career and have had a positive impact on her life. Hopefully some of the wonderful teachers that helped form who she is today - or will be later in life - were from West.

8. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

Well lets see last I was told they still have AIG programs in the public schools that are funded by the tax payers. So no public schools do not just teach to the masses there are programs for the gifted and programs for the special needs students..

Second most teachers leave not because of parents, but because of there schedules and all the workshops they must attend. 90% of teachers will tell you pay is not a factor, they knew the pay when they got into this profession, and most teachers spend alot of there money to help ensure a proper education for our children..

9. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

I think this is Grit's twin baby inside me saying this... :shock:

People it is: There, Their, & They're

I CAN NOT believe I just did that!

Oh yeah... and I second melynda on the "back when I was in school..." I found out who my teacher was on day one and that is the day that I got my supply list. That's all I have to say on that.

My kid isn't in public school yet but I want to commend all teachers out there new & old... ya'll have a hard job, with great rewards, and crapola pay. THANK YOU TEACHERS, FOR ALL YOU DO!!!

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Thanks Koo for easing my fears :lol: While all my kids are out of school, well one still in college, my future dil is planning on moving down here to teach when she graduates from Marquette College - ya'll had me scared, i was ready to warn her not to come here :lol:

11. kookookacho

And let me add too that even more; once adults realize THEY'RE not the only parent with a child/children in JCPS, it will do them some good as well.

carry on betchin'

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey!!! i wasn't betchin', i was thanking you :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. kookookacho

I think the vast majority of the folks moaning and groaning on here have ligit complaints, I won't deny that. A child's education is very very important. But from reading many of these post all I hear is wha wha wha. I mean for pete's sake school hasn't even started yet and all I see is post on is this teacher good/bad/ugly. I don't have this yet, that yet. I'm going to call and have this teacher wrote up. I sure hope to God that these parents don't cry like this infront of their kids... I mean I couldn't IMAGINE how this child is going to dread school with these parent's outlooks. Whatever happen to finding out and making a clear desision for yourself. ha! :lol:

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

So which category to I fall into Koo??? :lol: :wink:

15. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I agree Koo... I never ask about my child's teacher..I form my own opinions. Prime example...when my oldest daughter started 2rd grade, a friend asked who her teacher was..and I told them. All I heard was negative things because that teacher was so hard on her poor child...so much homework, etc. I loved this teacher! Sure she was challenging, but my daughter learned more that year and I actually asked the teacher about what I had heard and she told me she pushed the kids so hard, because many of her 2nd grade peers did not, and 3rd grade was so different and so much harder than the previous years. She was right and my daughter was very well prepared for that challenge because of her teacher!

16. kookookacho

the betchin catg..

KIDDING!!! LYMI!!!!! :wink: :lol:

You aren't out right bashing which is something others on here have done and continue to do numerous times. You have WAY more class than to do that. Why am I telling you this... you know that!! :lol:

17. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

The only thing that I have to add is this:

I see a big problem with parents getting a supply list two days before school starts, not neccesarily because they have to fight the masses at Wal-Mart to find the last pack of graph paper, but for a totally different reason.

I have been a single mother who lived paycheck to paycheck, and it may have been that two days before school, I didn't have an extra $20 to go buy everything on that list. However, with a few weeks notice, it might have eased my purse a little, and given me time to do some bargain shopping.

And, as Forrest Gump once said, that's all I have to say about that!

18. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

When my boys were in school, we never got a list until the first day of school but they were given a week to get everything, being a single mom too at the time, at least that gave me a week instead of a couple of days.

But what i am not getting here is that the basics are the basics, right - why don't the mothers go and bargain shop during the summer, find the things they know they will need and when they get the list, go get the few extras that each teacher requires?

19. kookookacho

Opening Day Enrollment Expected To Surpass 30,000 - Students will return to classrooms on Friday for the first day of public school in Johnston County . When they do, opening day enrollment is expected to surpass 30,000 students for the first time ever. Overall, enrollment is expected to increase by about 1,500 students. The school system is also trying to fill about 50 vacant teaching positions. Joyce Wade, Associate Superintendent of Human Resources for Johnston County Schools, said the biggest need was for exceptional children teachers and English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers

http://www.1270wmpm.com/wmpm_local_news.htm

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's actually what I did, I bought tons of stuff when Walmart had a big sale last month and got lots of things he will probably need for pennies on the dollar. I'm just waiting on the few things that each teacher specifically wants. Last year I made the mistake of using the generic list they put in Walmart, half of it was completely the wrong stuff, some things I had no idea he'd need. I guess patience is a virtue, and it sure ain't one of mine! :lol: