Cleveland Middle-- anyone have problems there?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Aug 21, 2006.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Thank you Koo! I was kiddin' ya too, I know I'm being petty! Like I posted above, patience is NOT my strong suit. :lol:

2. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

:p

Yeah everyone looses their patience a time or ten. I know I can! :lol: AND I have a touch of OCD in certain areas of my life. But some people gotta realize somethings are outta their hands, and moaning and groaning does nothing.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That is definately something I am working on, being a control freak is very stressful ! :lol:

4. BenDover

BenDover Well-Known Member

I haven't read to see if this was said but what is up with going back to school on Friday then returning on Monday? Why not just start on Monday.

5. kookookacho

Having my first kid knocked me down quite a few notches on my cleaning obsession I had. It was really really an issue... to the extreme. I had to learn to let some things go, just to keep my sanity. And now with the second one just a little bit away... oh I am soooo in for it! :lol: I have already started to pick up on the same OCD I had right before the 1st kiddo but I am going to try and keep it in check and not let it the the best of me this time! :lol:

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

LMAO, you reminded me of my best friend. She didn't have children till her late 30's and when my 3 were young and running around, she used to freak cause my house was never spotless - she was such a clean freak in her own house. Then when she had her first and a little over a year later her second, boy did that change but it was really tough on her at first :lol:

7. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Kaci, it's been a while since your boys were in elementary school. Up until last year (4th grade), Mini Me's supply list was normally a full page long and cost on average $30-40.

All I'm saying is that if there were standard grade lists, sent home at the end of the year via the last report card, it would be a lot easier on everyone.

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Oh thanks a lot Jenn, make a girl feel old will ya (especially with a bd coming soon) :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. kookookacho

Just curious... what more can a child say in the 2nd grade need other than pencils, papers,crayons, a few single subject notebooks or 1-5 subject notbook???, back pack, & homework pad? And do people really buy backpacks every year?

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

11. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

My sons 2nd grade list had hand sanitizer on it - but the teacher informed us tonight that the hand sanitizer needed to be scratched from the list. I may have misunderstood - but this is what I thought I understood the reason to be: Apparently the hand sanitizer now falls on a list of medications or something like that - and you can't dispense it to a child without a doctors note.

Poor teachers - like they didn't have enough to keep up with already. Now they will have to keep up with hazardous materials like hand sanitizer.

I hear lots of parents mentioning how expensive school supplies are. The teacher I had last year spent almost $400 on school supplies for her class - out of her own pocket. I was horrified when I learned that our teacher was the one purchasing soap for our kids to wash their hands. I'd always assumed the school took care of this for them. There were a lots of wrong assumptions I made about where the money for classroom supplies came from. When parents in our classroom realized she was buying supplies for the classroom for our kids - we encouraged her to make a wish list so we could make the purchases ourselves. She said because of the help she received from classroom parents - the almost $400 she spent was the least she'd spent on classroom supplies from her own pocket in many, many years. Teachers already have salaries that don't come close to covering what they should get paid for the blood, sweat & tears they poor into their jobs. Its crazy that these same teachers have to spend time outside of the classroom shopping for supplies and its down right insane that the teachers spend their own money on the stuff. I realize that supplies are expensive sometimes - but I think the last person we should ever complain to is the teacher because my bet is that many of these teachers spend as much on our kids school supplies as we do.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ummm, wasn't complaining, just listing what I had to buy...............

This is our third year at Riverwood and the teachers have always had a wish list in addtion to the items on the back to school list. The one I got tonight was no different. It just is what it is.

13. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

Kaci,

Don't let anyone fool you, Johnston County schools are among the best in the state. And before anyone bashes NC schools, they are pretty competitive in the US. Now what we need to work on is competing globally. JoCo's mission statement for this year is (paraphrased) to prepare our students to participate as citizens (or to be competitive) in a global economy. I am really pleased with this. Our teachers DO work really hard. If you look at the ABC results, teacher, parent and student survey results (all posted on DPI's website) the Cleveland Communities' Schools are very good. Kids and teachers feel safe there, they feel like they have what they need to learn and to teach.

Don't listen neccessarily to Betty Sue over the back yard fence...look at the data. Much that we do to constantly try to improve our schools is based on this data - surveys, improvement on test scores, AYP results and the like. Of course I am biased....'cause I bust my tushie for my kids every day in the classroom....and I am proud of what I do.

Love ya' all! Come to school safe and ready to learn on Friday! :D

14. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Thought I'd point out ... one flaw of the IEP is it does not include parent responsibilities. Just a little pet peeve of mine :)

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Thanks Uber, that is so refreshing to hear. My future dil is so excited about becoming a teacher - she actually started at Marquette to be a biochemist or something but found her true love was teaching children and switched her major. i have encouraged her to come teach in the area when she graduates next year and she has her heart set on it so your comments helped alot in putting aside my fears i had led her wrong.

Bless you for what you do for the children of this community - i personally believe teachers are one of the most underappreciated groups out there.

16. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

Kaci

I think your dil will love teaching here, I still volunteer over at CMS and have since I graduated HS.

I totally agree with Uber on this as well.

17. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

THanks Mom2 and for you teacher bashers out there (not accusing anyone), when she starts teaching you better be nice to her or you will face Mama Kaci's wraith :lol:

18. cherokee

cherokee Well-Known Member

ranked 33 in the US wonder what the county rankings are?
    Ubergeek you teach middle school right???

Once again were talking the special education program. This is a whole another can of worms. I believe this thread started about miscommunication between the school and parents regarding education of a special needs child.
    What good is ABC when your child can't walk or talk???
    Parents of down syndrome, autistic, fragile X syndrome, and mentally challenged children want to know? Who sticks up for these children??? Society is suppose to but I guess I live in Utopia.

:roll:

19. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Jenn,

My daughters school has always provided that to me....West Clayton Elementary...and my Middle Schoolers (Clayton Middle) list was available on the school website....at one point the PTA at WCE would even offer a service where they would buy the supplies in bulk and you could purchase the next years supply before school was let out and it would be waiting in your child's classroom the first day of school.

20. rcmommy

rcmommy Well-Known Member

Just to point out that at $400 out of pocket expense for teachers is just about right. Especially if she is fairly new or starting at a new school. Soap/paper towels...ugh, I can't tell you how many times we've had to call for towels or use hand sanitizer cause the soap was out or the paper towels gone...or stuck cause someone put them in wrong. That's just poor management of the janitorial staff, who by the way is only a couple of people trying to keep an over crowded school, stocked, cleaned, and presentable. Some do it well and some do it half butt. But parents know, I think, these days that the teachers don't get a big budget to do everything they do for your kids. $100 to start the year was what it was a few years ago. Even when I was a first year teacher and had NOTHING....I ran a big credit card bill for that first year. Also teachers can't just go to BJ's warehouse or Walmart for great deals. Unless they want to save receipts and hope that the PTA offers a reimbursement later in the year. They have to go to Stones or order from a schools supply company. Not the best of deals. So any help you can give your teachers is great. If you can't do it now, consider what Jen said and maybe when you see something on sale later on get it then. Teachers appreciate donations all year.

Special needs! UGH...I....will....not...get...on...my....soapbox! I'll just say that we can all get on our hands and knees and thank the Good Lord above if you have a healthy child that doesn't require an IEP! They are so hard to get worked through with everyone involved..parents AND the school. Some parents work their tails off to make sure their child has a happy normal as can possibly be experience in the schools just to hit a brick wall when IEP's are ignored or renewal dates come and go. And schools want to have the best grades, the best test scores, the best this and that....it doesn't always include those precious ones that need that little extra to their best. And those who slam the parents saying if you don't like it move or homeschool....shame on you. You don't live it. They have every right to be concerned over their child as you do. AND not everyone can afford to stay home. You all know that.

My best advice to the original poster.....look into an advocacy group. If you don't have one already. They will make sure that the law is on your side and they will help you get results.

ALSO....guys, the teachers and school administrators read these boards. You go complaining and bad mouthing everything before school starts and it's nothing but trouble from then on. I can't believe how many people have asked about a "specific" teacher by name this year. Thank goodness people have given good replies. I'd hate for someone to form an opinion on a teacher based on a message board. Talk to the teacher...get to know her first.

I'm not trying to be mean or sound rude either. Talking about politics or news happenings is one thing...but a message board is no place to trash our schools, neighbors, or county. Have some pride in where you live.