Cleveland Middle-- anyone have problems there?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

kdc1970 - I wasn't trying to point fingers at you for complaining :D hopefully you didn't interpret it that way. The reason I quoted your posting is because your list had sanitizer on it and my teacher had mentioned we couldn't bring that anymore without a doctor's note.

I've been know to complain too - I'm just saying hopefully parents would never complain to the teachers about this because the lack of adaquate supplies in the room is definately not their fault and you've already said you'd never actually walk into the classroom and complain about something that petty. I was just pointing out in general to everyone (not any specific individual) how much teachers spend out of their own pockets for school supplies.

After meeting my son's new teacher for the first time yesterday I'm positive this is going to be a wonderful year!!

2. LAbrad

LAbrad Member

I have had great experiences with Cleveland Middle in the past. My son started his 6th grade year there the 1st year it opened. However, he graduated this year from hs and my daughter will be a 6th grader there this year. I can say from experience that there is definately a different atmosphere in there. She was a 5th grader there this past school year. I am not pleased with the negative, rude attitudes of most of the front office staff. I'm hoping things will change. I've heard many parents that are not with the school as it is now.

3. ASSETS

ASSETS Guest

JCPS

JCPS is a joke, it is all about money, how much they can get from placing students in sp ed, add, adhd, and teachers and admin who don't care.

You may find 1 in 10 that are there to teach, however most are just paying back their school loan as teachers for 4 years and then they will fly away.

MOVE or home school is the answer - seriously if you have a boy

or if the child is a robot then send them to JCPS, since they don't know how to handle anything but robots

This is my opinion and with that said, who cares what I think! Only I have to live with my choices and opinions.

And, please look at the portion of money that goes into admin and everything else except teacher's salaries.

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Re: JCPS

As a former public school special ed teacher (who now does homeschool) I TOTALLY disagree with you! As an intinerant teacher I worked in more than 100 schools (in and outside NC) prior to having children. I worked with A LOT of general and special ed teachers. A VERY small minority of those I encountered (which I'm guessing is far more special ed teacher than you've worked with) were teaching just for a job .... even fewer for the $. Many do the best they can with the limited resources and support they have. Some are not given the additional training needed to handle some of the diverse student needs. Let's not even get into the absurd caseloads!

The problem lies at the administrative level and the teachers hands are often tied! Just an FYI should you not already be aware ... it is the squeaky wheel in spec. ed. that gets heard ... so keep squeaking. This is unfortunate for so many special needs children who have uninvolved or passive parents.

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I agree that when you ahve a special needs child you definitely have to be the "squeaky wheel"...BUT be careful how you do this. With the aove person's negative attitude, its no wonder why things are going his/her way. I have worked in JCS for almost 10 years and have met some awesome people here. I now work for what I believe is the best principal out there! He puts the kids first ALL of the time! In saying this, I understand that not all administration doe this...I have worked for them also!

6. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

well then how lucky can my dd be a wonderful principal and having the best teacher in the world!

7. Twitch

Twitch Well-Known Member

I don't think the person posting this has a negative attitude. I think like many parents she/he was frustrated about the lack of communication that was given. It's really not about getting her/his way its about when you have a special needs child there are things that need to be in place and it wasnt.

What does working with the school system have to do with awesome people. I work with the court system and let me tell you I think there are awesome people there but the justice system stinks.

twitch