CMS

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by WVELEM, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

And my son was/is no angel trust me. But the fact that I was readily available, honest, and supportive made the teacher understand that we were a team and I was on their side.

And.... Awe shucks Clif

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

In my experience, teachers actually prefer to have a 2 way communication ongoing. It saves a lot of the "Oh Crap" responses....especially when a student's grade are not what a parent expected.

Yet, rather than use the process as a blame game when things are going bad, I've found it works better when both teacher, student, and parents are all on the same sheet of paper. Students can't 'play' the parents, if the parents won't allow themselves to be 'played'.

I appreciate the challenge that the teachers face, from an apparently hostile state legislative environment, more to do with fewer resources available, changing standards, the emphasis on no child failing, less than supportive parents, all while trying to balance a professional and personal life of their own.

When I get frustrated, i make it a point to recall that were it not for those teachers who invested so much in me, I would not have achieved the successes I have.

My children have all faced (and provided their own) challenges in public school. As their parent, I am also their advocate when schools or teachers need correcting, as I am the school's advocate when it was the child who needed be reoriented.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011