Compact flourescent lightbulbs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Dec 30, 2007.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

So then, what you are saying is, do not let the bulb burn out. Replace them every 7 years as you would replace a battery in the smoke detector?

2. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Ours didn't last 7 years, more like 7 months. And there was no warning that it was about to burn out, it just smoked and got so hot that it melted the inside of the lamp to itself. :shock:

3. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Eeiickkkk, great!!! Don't think I will be using these anytime soon. that is really scary!!!

4. NanaPam

NanaPam Active Member

Has anyone seen any research on this? I don't take Consumer Reports but would like to know what they say.

5. ready2cmyKing

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

7. ready2cmyKing

That's all fine and dandy, but after what happened to our lamp, we ain't takin' no mo chances! The certification agencies could be wrong ya know. ;)

8. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

Missed your reply, sorry. NO, the only ones that take any time to brighten up are the ones made for the ceiling fan, all of the rest brighten right up when we turn on the switch. I have them everywhere, in lamps, light fixtures, and ceiling fans. Although I am wondering if they don't need to go away after reading this thread.

9. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

Each one of ours takes a second to light up in each lamp. It was kind of weird to begin with but now we are used to it. Don't know what the difference would be in yours and ours.

KDs,

Do you know if their are any bug resistant that are not yellow? We seem to always be the yellow light house on our street each summer.

Grace

10. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Bugs are naturally attracted to light, but apparently bugs do not see yellow light, that's why the bug lights are yellow.

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

softball mom that was GREAT! We know who *those* people are :lol:
    Where's Ken & Clif? :mrgreen: (just messin' sugars)

12. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

Well darn. I guess my neighbors don't get the bugs we get flying into the lights. Cannot open the front door for them unless I have a yellow light bulb. Same thing around the garage and deck. Maybe we are the only ones who open those doors at night (just kidding). I will have to ask my neighbors. It drives my daughter nuts that we have yellow lights outside.

Grace

13. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

I gotta wonder how much of the problem is that everyone and their grandma is getting into making the compact bulbs. I 've had some for over 10 years that work great. My wife cant stand the light they put off so I gave them to my dad.

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Aside from all the talk about these bulbs causing migraines, research from Great Britan shows that they are also causing skin reactions in people with chronic skin conditions and disease. Sounds to me that the old incandescent may have to stay around as an option for some people.

15. stonecold

stonecold Guest

These things are CRAP! What no one tells you is that they contain high levels of mercury! They cannot be disposed of in the regular trash and if you break one at home you cannot vacuum it up and in some cases it requires a haz-mat team to clean up the mess safely.

http://www.junkscience.com/ByTheJunkman/20070426.html

Somebody is getting rich on these things maybe the waste mgmt industry. Maybe Bush and congress wouldn't mind if we broke a bunch of these bulbs in the White House.

16. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Funny you say that, new law from Congress and signed by GW last month (bulbs), in 2012 incandescent light bulbs will be illegal. You will have to use these new ones. I love the ad that some sites are posting.

''Outlaw light bulbs, and only outlaws will have light bulbs.''

This is pure BS. We have politicians who can't see the light if it hit them in the eyes and they're voting on light bulb issues. Some lobbyist is smiling wide right now.

17. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

that law is a result of the whining pc envirofacists. same reason we can't drill for oil on our own soil. to be fair, i think most of the lawmakers have been convinced that these things are the answer. i've had no problem with the ones i've bought and used, and haven't had to replace one yet. not so thrilled with the mercury angle myself, but i'll pay 5 bucks for a light bulb that uses 25% of the energy of the current bulbs and lasts for years. if it turns out they're dangerous or something, well, that would suck.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

From Snopes
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

19. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Have not attempted to verify this info: Energy Star - Canada

How much mercury is in compact fluorescent bulbs?

The average mercury content in a CFL is about 3 milligrams – roughly the amount it would take to cover the tip of a ball-point pen. By comparison, older thermometers contain 500 milligrams of mercury – the equivalent of more than 100 CFLs. A common wristwatch battery contains five times more mercury than a CFL.

Although there is currently no substance that can replace the efficiency properties of mercury to produce light in fluorescent lamps, manufacturers have reduced the amount of mercury used in lamps. Some manufacturers have voluntarily reduced the mercury content in CFLs by about 80% in the past decade, to as little as 2 mg per bulb. Research is ongoing to achieve further reductions and, ultimately, to develop a mercury-free fluorescent lamp.

The chart below compares the mercury content in a CFL to other household items.

Product Amount of Mercury Number of Equivalent CFLs
    Compact
    fluorescent lamp 5 milligrams
    Watch battery 25 milligrams
    Dental amalgams 500 milligrams
    Home thermometer 500 milligrams – 2 grams
    Float switches in sump pumps 2 grams
    Tilt thermostat 3 grams 600
    Electrical tilt switches and relays 3.5 grams

20. jtm

jtm Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a place to recycle these bulbs locally? I don't think JoCo recycling centers handle these.