Complete 540 Project Visualization - from NCDOT Feb 2018

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JustMe, Feb 21, 2018.

1. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

Link to youtube that shows where the last part of 540 will go. Great visualization!

Auxie, Kelyel, Rockyv58 and 1 other person like this.
  2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

looks good to me.. god save the mussels.

somethingNother and poppin cork like this.
  3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Looks like they really reconfigure the Raynor road area when it comes through. Been a while since I have seen the actual plans.

4. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

That's is very cool. Issue 3 design build contracts, and start tomorrow. the 40/540/70 bypass intersection is pretty awesome. Top down construction on bridges minimizes environmental impact.

5. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I think it's 4 contracts actually.

Design-build contract awarded for U.S. 401 to I-40 (R-2828) Fall/winter 2018
    Two design-build contracts awarded for R-2721
    (N.C. 55 Bypass to U.S. 401) Spring/summer 2019
    Design-build contract awarded for I-40 to U.S. 64/264 (I-495)
    (R-2829) FY 2027

6. jesse82nc

Also, FYI, this is the current schedule for the I40 widening and 40/42 interchange:
    Design-build contract awarded Summer 2018
    I-40 widening begins Late 2018 or early 2019
    I-40/N.C. 42 interchange upgrades begin Fall 2020
    I-40 widening complete 2022

Rockyv58 likes this.
  7. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I wonder when they will start on the completion of 540. I did notice that the balance of it is a toll road and not I-540

8. markfnc

Design-build contract awarded for U.S. 401 to I-40 (R-2828) Fall/winter 2018
    Two design-build contracts awarded for R-2721
    (N.C. 55 Bypass to U.S. 401) Spring/summer 2019
    Design-build contract awarded for I-40 to U.S. 64/264 (I-495)
    (R-2829) FY 2027

Rockyv58 likes this.
  9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I'll be 69 when they start R-2829 in 2027 lol

10. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

I’d like to feel sorry for you but I’ll be dead and long gone by the time they even start it, much less complete the last section.

panthersdude2001 and Rockyv58 like this.
  11. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Nice flyover visualization! Hope they start soon and finish early!

12. jesse82nc

I wonder if Foster Pond Management knows that 540 will go right through their new office building on White Oak Road? According to the map, they will completely have to bulldoze that new building.

13. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Once I had a real estate agent approach me about including one of my properties into a bundle to present as a large commercial development. I told him that was great but that the planned road extension would bisect that property in just a couple of years. HE had not bothered to check on that. I would hope that anyone who would have bought into his sale would have checked before building, but that seems to be something which is easily overlooked. A friend of my son does a lot of acquisition for companies like Cook Out and he always checks the plans for roads etc. which is why he keeps those clients. The plans may extend out years and from the time property is identified and an offer is proposed there might have been major changes in the road plans so keeping up is critical.

14. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

One of my college roommates mom was the DOT engineer that had to go around telling land owners they could't develop their property due to 540. That was 25 years ago. I heard recently the state or courts or whoever is finally deciding to compensate the owners.

Law suits and red tape are a big part of the reason for overly high prices of such projects. One of kin folks is a high up engineer. He says most projects spend a nearly equal amount of money trying to disprove a project that they know will be built as originally planned. I know those endangered mussels are more wide spread than they claim. I can find them miles away from the spot that environmentalist are so concerned over.

somethingNother likes this.
  15. somethingNother

somethingNother Active Member

WOW. That interchange is INCREDIBLE. Won't be long, JoCo as we know it will be unrecognizable.

16. markfnc

Looks like with the last few month delay due to another legal issue they are off and rolling. i see them surveying, clearing and hauling trees at both nc 50 and sunset lake rd., so both ends. cant get it built fast enough. I'm excited.

panthersdude2001, jesse82nc and Auxie like this.
  17. markfnc

you don't realize how big an interchange is until you see how many trees have been cleared at NC 50 and future 540

18. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

What is your point?

19. markfnc

my point was that when you are driving on an interstate you just don't realize how big and intersection is. What is your point?

20. jesse82nc

Just wait until they start on the 540/40/70 interchange. That one covers over 650 acres, that's well over 1 square mile. It will be one the largest interchanges in NC, definitely the largest in the Triangle.

Auxie and markfnc like this.