Computer Keeps Freezing Up

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Sherry A., Aug 25, 2014.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Every time I go out to the internet using Explorer or Mozilla I can use the internet for maybe 10 minutes and then I get a message that Explorer/Mozilla is Not Responding. I then have tried to get to my Task area but my computer freezes up. I have swept for bugs and cleared my cookies and now I am at a loss.

Help me please.

Sherry

2. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

XP ? Vista? Win 7?

Depends on your OS which ways you can go. But in general try these choices:

Unplug anything that's USB'd to the pc. That includes the printer. Reboot and see what happens on the web.

Restart or start the PC. As soon as it gets to the black screen start slowly (about once a second) and repetitively (about 4 to 6 times) tapping the F8 key. That gets you to a multi choice boot screen. Using the arrow keys choose "Last know good configuration" and hit enter. It may pick the boot sequence you have now or luckily it may go back a few if it see's a variance.

If you've loaded any software in the past few days ... uninstall it. Then try a reboot and a web try.

If that doesn't work, reboot again & go to "restore" in the 'Control Panel'. You can review the last dates your PC did a restore point (*hopefully you have the auto restore point turned on so it's constantly giving you dates to choose??) If not, the dates will be very old and any software loaded since that date will or may not work. Hard choice at that point cause it means excepting a loss.

If any of those work and you don't have the auto restore point on, turn it on for the next time this happens.

The other options are registry cleaners and diagnostic programs. A little to complex to type out on here. Last case is reload the OS.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Thank you. Will walk through your steps this weekend and let you know.

Sherry (computer illiterate)

4. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

be careful with this. What ever is kicking your machines butt maybe be in those images as well. Go to Symantec or MCafee and do the free online scans and see what you got going on. Make sure you keep your machine patched up and use reputable software because you do get what you pay for. Later Red.