Convicted Sex Offender in South Hills

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by roygolf, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Sex offender....

One of the things that sickens me (after the fact) is that the parents had to reduce the charges so that the little girl wouldnt have to testify. What kinda backwards system do we have that the little girl would have to go through that or let the guy get away with a slap on the wrist.

Really sad

2. Clif

Clif Guest

Actually, no. The recidivism rate for sex offenders is lower than almost all other crimes. The DOJ says that, in a 1994 study, the recidivism rate for sex offenders is 5.3%.

The full study by the DOJ HERE shows that recidivism rates are higher for virtually all other crimes.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Or are they better at not getting caught again? :confused:

4. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Actually read this whole article, it's from the CSOM...here's a small quote:

[SIZE=+0]Hanson and Bussiere (1998) reported an overall recidivism rate of 13 percent.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Grumfeld and Noreik (1986) found a 10 percent recidivism rate for rapists.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+0]Gibbens, Soothill, and Way (1978) reported a 4 percent recidivism rate for incest offenders[/SIZE]

http://www.csom.org/pubs/recidsexof.html

5. Clif

Clif Guest

Yeah, that's it. All the other criminals don't learn from their prior crimes, but sex offenders do.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not pro sex offender, I am anti-ignorance. People have "heard" for years that released sex offenders are just another crime waiting to happen. The numbers tell a different story, though. Unfortunately, as you will see, most would rather attack me than actually believe the facts presented to them.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm not attacking, it was an honest question. Sex offenders are not like burglers or the like that leave a lot of evidence, these are crimes against individuals that you can't aways "see". A lot of victims DO NOT come forward or are unwilling to testify against the offender, I have to wonder if that is scewing the numbers a bit.

7. Clif

Clif Guest

Sorry, I din't mean to imply that you were attacking. They will come though.

There are also burgleries that go unreported because the items taken weren't important enough to make a call to the police worthwhile.

The point is, though, that, if you ask John Q. Public, he will tell you that sex offenders are the highest repeat offenders. This is why we have a registry. Unfortunately the actual numbers show that that is just not the case and makes one wonder why we don't have a murderer registry or a burgler registry.

8. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

9. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I agree with kdc on this one. A lot of people will not come forward, especially boys, because they don't want people knowing this happened to them. I know a lot about this subject because of personal reasons. And believe me, THEY WILL KEEP doing it again. I'm not talking about the ones that are 20 and have sex with a 16 year old, I'm talking about the SICK PERVERTS that are molesting 7 year olds, hanging out at schools, dating women with small children so they have someone to rape. That's who I'm talking aobut. And it can't be cured, so they're going to be like that until they die. Which unfortunately isn't soon enough most of the time!

10. openminded

openminded Well-Known Member

Statistics are a great thing, but they don't always tell the whole picture and there is always another study being done that proves the previous study wrong. So many of these types of crimes go unreported that I just don't take much stock in these studies. Not to mention that the mass majority of these sex offenders are hardly ever caught for their first offense. These jerks are so good at what they do and how they plan to carry out their crime that it usually goes on for years before their caught the first time. Most start in their teens and usually their first victim is a family member. The shame and humiliation that the victims feel prevents them from telling someone about it, same goes for rape victims. Those that have been caught and convicted have confessed that they will at some time in their life commit the same crime again, they just can't stop the urge. Consider the case of John Wayne Gacy (sp) years of being a sicko before he was caught.

11. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

And lets not forget too...A burglar robs someone else and moves on to someone else. A child molester might repeatedly do something to the same child over and over again for years. There was a recent story about a foster parent who was doing this to his daughter (?) for 10 years...Tell me he's going to stop now, if he doesn't go to prison! I DON'T THINK SO!

12. KittyCat

KittyCat Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where in South Hills this guy lives? I usually get alerts from the NC offender alert when someone moves into our area and have not received anything on this guy. The reason I ask is because I live in South Hills with my DH and our 2 kids and would like to know where he is as it is a very large subdivision.

13. Clif

Clif Guest

It's not a question of whether or not he's going to stop now, unless he goes to prison.

My point is that many people irrationally, and wrongly, believe that sex offenders will offend again after going to prison. This is, in fact, not the case. You can say that they will, but I noticed that none have provided any proof to back up the claim (hard numbers, not opinions).

In short, it's nothing more than hysteria. A person commits a crime and is punished. Then, after they are released, they are stigmatized so they are, effectively, a drain on society.

The recividism rate for sex offenders is 5.3%, or 53 out of 1000. What about the other 947? They made a mistake and paid for it according to the law. How much longer must they pay? Once again, I'm not talking about the 53, I'm talking about the 947 who do not commit another offense, and yet you will not allow them to move into your neighbourhood.

Are you going to declare "Once a criminal, always a criminal"? If so, where do you draw the line? Child molesting? Rape? Murder? Armed robbery? Burglery? Are all these criminals who committed the above crime and served their time, just a siren away from going back to prison? How about speeding? If you have ever been given a ticket for speeding, maybe we should just take away your license. After all, "Once a speeder, always a speeder."

14. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I do have evidence, but none I'm going to state on here. And even if it is ONLY 53 out of 1000, that's 53 too many in my book! Anyone who harms a child in that way or ANY way should be hung, or castrated as someone else on this forum said! PERIOD. END OF STORY. You go find someone who's had this done to them, find a little 10 year old who has to live with this the rest of their lives, who's had to live with someone like this, and see what they say about the subject. THEY WILL KEEP DOING IT. And that's all I have to say, I don't think I can read anymore of this, it's useless to argue with someone with ignorant views on what the "statistics" are. I don't give a *&^*( what the statistics are!

15. openminded

They have done studies about this and it has been proven that these people are mentally ill and even with years of rehab. there is no cure. The solution the professionals have is to remove them from all situations that place them in the presence of the people that they have committed a crime against, in this case that would be children. They will need therapy for the rest of their lives. Once again, there is no cure.

16. Clif

Clif Guest

If it is, as you say, a mental illness for which there is no cure, then why do you suppose only 53 out of 1000 repeat? It should stand to reason that, if the facts are as you say, then the recidivism rate would be closer to 100%.

17. openminded

I have friends and very close family members that deal with these people on a daily basis, these are the experts and this is were I get my information from. Like I said, studies do not tell the whole picture. The professional community would argue with you on repeat offending, placed in the right situation these people will indeed become repeat offenders. These professionals are in agreement that the best way to help this illness is continued therapy and keeping them out of situations that would make it hard for them to deal with their illness. Someone that has a gambling issue or an alcoholic would be advised the samething. Is there a cure for alcoholism? No. But the recovering alcoholic knows it is in his/her best interest to stay away from places that would make it hard for them to deal with that particular issue.

18. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. But, I am also entitled to mine. I hope that you will respect that and not reply negatively towards me. That said............Let me also state that I believe in forgiveness. I believe that even the worst person can change. That is called grace and God bless him if he has changed. But in this case I am not willing to take the risk where my children and their friends (or any children for that matter) are involved without more information. He was sick enough to do it once and that is ALL I need to know. I have been blessed with children. God has given me one chance with them. I will not sit here and worry if I am doing the right thing. I will not sit here at some point and WISH that I had asked more questions. We need to know our rights. I need to know that I did everything in my power to give my children a safe existance on this planet. Children are a gift to be protected. That is the reason for the Sex Offenders Registry in the first place. Now, off my usually very tame soapbox:evil: This is making my head hurt:-(

To my Southills neighbors:
    Under the advise of the JC Sheriffs Dept, I have contacted the Attorney General's office to find out OUR rights. There has to be some law about where he lives and the proximity to children. In most cases they are not to live within a certain distance from schools. What about the MULTITUDE of children in this neighborhood? I know he has to live somewhere but, I'm sorry, it just cannot be here. The lady that I spoke with looked this up on their database and she is having an attorney call me. I will let you all know as soon as I hear anything. At least I will know that I have tried. Let's try to handle this the right way and know that we did all we could.

19. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

I agree with you. I would not want that man living in my neighborhood either.

20. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

He hasnt "paid for his crimes". There isnt enough of a prison sentence that can be place on him to satisfy me. We arent talking about a 17 yr old girl that he could have mistaken for an 18 yr old, had consentual relationships with and get popped for statitory rape. She was a 7 yr old child, full of innocense, now she has to carry this pain for the rest of her life. I definately like the idea of handing out flyers with his picture on them to all the neighbors. The man is sick & his neighbors have a right to know.

He does "have a right to live somewhere", its called jail.