Corn Pudding...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Dec 21, 2009.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Is corn pudding good? .. Isn't it pretty much...corn mush? I'm looking for sides to go with A Honey Baked Ham...besides plain ol' taters...

Corn Pudding
    --------------------- --------------------------------
    1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
    1 can yellow corn -- drained
    1 can creamed corn
    2 eggs -- beaten
    1 small onion -- chopped

Combine all ingredients. Bake in greased 9 x 9 pan at 350F for 45-50 minutes.

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

BLEH!

corn pudding isn't supposed to have cornbread mix in it. it's eggs milk sugar butter and corn (NOT out of a can, and NOT creamed). it's actually such a sweet dish that it could be dessert.

*note: my family's corn pudding recipe is from northern wake/franklin/granville county area. never even heard of putting onions or cornbread mix or creamed corn in it....

3. Yuck - on onions or cornbread mix. I love corn pudding but I've never heard of the recipe you posted. Dangerboy's version sounds like what I'm used to. I use frozen corn though and it's good.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Don't eat that, LOL.

I have my Grandmother's recipe at home. Will be glad to get it for you. :mrgreen:

5. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

My recipes for corn pudding taste very sweet. You could do the recipe with Jiffy mix, creamed corn, sour cream and a whole stick of butter. I will post if you are interested; it is like the corn bread they used to have at Darryl's.

6. nsanemom22

Alrighty then! recipes please :)

7. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Grew up on corn pudding!

Never heard of corn bread mix or onions in it, though.

Here's a recipe that more closely matches what I loved:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmas-corn-pudding/Detail.aspx

5 eggs
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    4 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn
    2 (14.75 ounce) cans cream-style corn

Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
    In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add melted butter, sugar, and milk. Whisk in cornstarch. Stir in corn and creamed corn. Blend well. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
    Bake for 1 hour.

8. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

This isn't corn pudding-didn't know if you would want something quite so sweet with a honey-baked ham but it is almost like cake.
    2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
    2 eggs
    8 oz. sour cream
    1 sm can creamed corn
    1 stick real butter

Mix all ingred. except for butter. Melt butter in bottom of pan(I used 9 X 13 glass dish) and pour batter in on top. Bake at time and temp. on muffin recipe.

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

thats not corn pudding - thats cornbread w/ corn - and I like it!
    for a side w/ ham there's always the standbys: mac/cheese and potato salad.

10. nsanemom22

That's the problem! For me, if it's a Honey Baked Ham, HAM goes with ham! LOL Plus the crunchy sweet coating!

Thank y'all for the recipes

So I guess a better question is what goes with ham?

11. nsanemom22

I'm thinkin' potato salad too...

My Mom is on the phone...she'll be our only guest and all she want's to go with it is loaf bread and a pepsi...

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The only side you needed is mashed potatos! I love me some mashed (some call it creamed) potatos. Home made, not out of a box.

13. ahlsmiles

ahlsmiles Well-Known Member

OOH...sounds good! Have to keep this one.

14. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

15. I'm having a some family over on Christmas Eve and I'm having a ham with potato salad, corn, slaw, and biscuits. I think potato salad is a good side to have with ham.

16. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We're having a honeybaked ham also. My brother is making scalloped potatoes to go with it-that goes really well and if you don't have time for the homemade ones, the box ones aren't too bad.

17. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

oh, or a cheesy potato casserole is good too if you want a warm item vs cold (salad).

18. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

6 ears of corn stripped (2-3 cups)...i usually try to use a white sweet corn
    1/2 -3/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 stick unsalted butter
    3/4-1 cup milk

mix everything but the butter, pour into a 2 inch deep pan, place butter on top in pats. bake 425 for 45-60 min or until lightly brown on top.

19. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

* 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
    * 4 eggs, beaten
    * 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
    * 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
    * 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    * 3 teaspoons sugar
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
    * 1 cup milk
    * 1 cup heavy cream
    * 2 tablespoons melted butter
    * Garnish: chopped chives

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine corn, eggs, grated cheeses. In another bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, chipotle pepper and add to egg mixture. Stir in milk, heavy cream and melted butter. Pour into a lightly oiled gratin dish. Place dish in a larger pan and add water to halfway up the sides of dish. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

20. lori-beth

lori-beth Well-Known Member

we're doing ham on christmas eve too but we're having hashbrown casserole since all the kids will eat that, slaw, corn, applesauce, pickled beets(blech) and crescent rolls, for dessert warm apple crisp with ice cream and pie. Christmas dinner will be prime rib, mashed potatoes, asparagus and not sure what else. yum yum