Cornwallis to Close

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by canesfan, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Placed the Road Closed except for local traffic signs on Josephina at Cornholio today.

2. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

We went to pick up our Chinese food about 6:30 pm, and saw the orange ROAD CLOSED signs and DETOUR signs for Cornwallis Road, heading north from Cleveland Road. And so it begins:neutral:

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Where is the Mill Creek bridge they are talking about?

4. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

On Cornwallis rd,,

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Astounding.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

7. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I think its down Cornwallis almost close to where it crosses over I-40. If you look to one side you see a pond, on the other side is a swamp

8. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We remember the DOT plans for 312 as well. But from what we can see this may not happen until 2015 now.

9. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

they put up the signs for road closed, but haven't closed the road yet. I imagine it'll be a few days/week yet with all this wet weather we've been having.

Hopefully someone who lives there can post when they do close so I can continue using it until they do close for my commute to Clayton.

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The I-40 widening is slated to happen in 2017 (last I heard), so perhaps they'll do it then.

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I still have NO clue where it's at, on Cornwallis.
    So you aren't alone.

12. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I know this may sound odd and it is definitely off topic, but I had thought some years ago if we ever went and incorporated as our own town, to design a downtown around that pond. Put a loop road around the pond and put the streets on a grid pattern. Build an old fashioned town hall and court house and such and have shops and restaurants, condos and old fashioned neighborhoods and such. I figured with DOT eventually putting exit ramps at I40 and Cornwallis it would give easy entrance and exit to the downtown. Just a thought.

13. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

I think it's the bridge the opposite direction of the one they are closing first. Down past Cleveland middle school just before the A&B Stables.

14. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

THANK YOU!! that is my 'end' of Cornwallis. and what I was afraid of. dammit. :banghead:

Now how am I suppose to get to Pelicans?? :mrgreen:
    I reckon the long way, up Sanders Road.

15. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

There was once a Go Kart Track? That's my dream is to build a Go Kart Mini Golf place. But I'd put it across from the Sheetz on 210/50 Easy access to I-40 and close to major roads, plus plenty of space if I hit the Millions and buy up all that land on the corner. And gettin Gas for the karts would be easy too!

16. ditch digger

ditch digger Well-Known Member

One of the best go kartt tracks around. Wish they hadn't closed it. It may be a couple of weeks before the road is closed but expect lane closures soon, possibly later this week or the first of next week. Don't ask me how I know.

17. ruserious

ruserious Active Member

Would it not have made sense to close the road with the end of the school year so the impact on parent's commutes and bus schedules is limited as much as possible?

18. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

Bridge closing July 8th

DOT has placed a sign on Cornwallis less than 1 mile from 42 saying the bridge there will be closed starting July 8th.

19. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Also signs on Cornwallis Road itself, both ways; saw them this morning around 9

20. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Did you notice how close to the road they placed that sign? It is half in the ditch so it is cock-eyed, but the lower left corner is protruding precariously near the edge of pavement. I wouldn't be surprised if a box truck comes by and clips it.