Couponing

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by mamax3, Jun 23, 2005.

1. mamax3

mamax3 Well-Known Member

If I had a choice I would switch to something cheaper I would but our pup has IBD and every time I try to slowly switch her she just about dies on us.

2. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Well I've always used just dry food and my vet always asks me what their diet is...he says their coats are so beautiful and they are so healthy. My English bulldog is almost 8 and my Boxer is 2 and I've always dry dog food.

3. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

There is a coupon in today's N&O for 20% off any single item at Linens & Things. There are a few brand specific limitations, but it doesn't say anything about sale or clearance items.

4. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip on the free sample of puppy food... My dogs get a blend of dry and canned/soft food (my hound mix is really picky, so we have to blend it...the lab mix will eat anything that's not nailed down!). So far, they're not delicate, so I can feed them name brands that are on sale (I got an off brand once...their poop was white :shock: !
    My husband is real 'brand specific' so I go to www.thecouponclippers.com and get coupons for stuff we like...I have to pay a handling fee of around 10 cents per coupon, but when it gets doubled at Lowes or Harris Teeter, I'm still saving 90 cents per coupon. I went to Food Lion today and spent $151 on a buggy-load of stuff and saved $84 with the coupons and flyer discounts. If there's not a coupon or discount, then I just buy the store brand...
    Krogers has good store brand stuff, and Walmart does too. New at Harris Teeter, so I haven't decided on their stuff yet... I'm going to miss Winn Dixie...I liked the people at that store...

ann

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Saved $15 at Wal-Mart today!

6. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Hey the dollar bins at Target are 50% (at least)...I am going in a little while, I will report back with any deals found. Maybe we should start our own couponing/deals website! I think that would be great! Share the wealth!

7. frugalmomoftwo

frugalmomoftwo Well-Known Member

Funny you should suggest that, mamaape! Your timing is great!

I have been working on a yahoo group and forum so those of us in the Triangle can share local and online deals. I will post the signup info in the next week if anyone is interested. We can all share the deals we find, like Target markdown schedules, etc. If there is a fantastic deal that you must know about I will plan on e-mailing the group with the info (like when HT triples or Target goes to 75% and 90% off on clearance items).

Anyone interested?

FYI - Frugal Cookout Fixings: Harris Teeter has Ball PArk Hot Dogs BOGO (Buy one get one) free this week. Use 2 of the 75 cent coupons from the sunday paper a few weeks ago and get each pack for 50 cents. We like the light beef or smoked turkey dogs and the regular price on them is $3.99 for a pack of 8.

I used a 75 coupon (which is then doubled by the store) for each package (yes, they took a coupon for the free one as well) and ended up paying 50 cents a pack. I had ordered plenty of the coupons from thecouponclippers.com (for 8 cents each) anticipating they would go on sale for the Labor Day weekend cookouts. My freezer is well stocked now! The Fuquay Harris Tetter will not let you use a coupon for the free package, but the Cary store on Kildaire does. :lol: Obviously, if you have to spend a thousand dollars on gas to get the good deal, it is not such a good deal. BUT if you are going to be near a HT anyway, it is a great buy.

Then head to Lowe's on your way home for hot dog buns for 79 cents each bag on Fri, sat and sunday. The coupon is in the Wed Lowe's sales flyer. Add some fresh fruit from your garden or a cantaloupe from Harris Teeter (only 88 cents this week) and some corn for 4 ears for $1 from HT and you have a frugal cookout for Monnday.

1 pack hot dogs: 50 cents
    1 bag buns: 79 cents
    1 cantaloupe: 88 cents
    4 ears of corn: $1.00
    Total: $3.17

Make some cookies or brownies from ingredients you already have on hand (from a mix or from scratch) and you will have dinner for 4 people for less than $4.00 total!

8. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

I would be interested. I will look for the link. Hopefully I will not miss it!! If I am not online when posted would someone mind sending me a pm. I really need to do better with coupons with the price of gas (along with everything else!) going up !!!

9. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I would be interested....

10. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I'd be interested too....Well, I'm excited, I just ordered my first set of coupons from the coupon clipper website. Ya'll are right, they have coupons for the name brands I buy. I can't wait to get them and hopefully by then HT or somewhere will have double/triple coupons so I can start saving some money at the grocery store. Guys I'm excited, bc I'm not a coupon user and new to this!

11. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I think it was FMO2 who mentioned buying coupons on Ebay...

Tell me more about that. Can I just list the coupons I don't use, and really expect people to buy them?

12. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

put me on the list, too ! Also, Lowes has several great deals just for Friday, Saturday and Sunday... they have pork shoulders on sale then for those of you who like to cook eastern n.c. bbq (slow and low with the yummy apple cider vinegar/ pepper sauce on the side...mm mm!).
    Have a great weekend!!

13. frugalmomoftwo

Hey Jennifer,

When people sell the service of clipping and sending coupons on E-baybay, they usually list coupons in lots of 10 - 20 of the same coupon. Others list lots of 100 or so different coupons. Go to Ebay, type in "coupons: in the search engine. Then click on "Food coupons". You will see the types of coupons for sale and the prices. Most don't sell for much and for the occassional seller, there is no money to be made in selling coupons on the internet unless they are coupons for free items. Most auctions start at 99 cents for a set of coupons and it costs the seller a minimum of 25 cents to post it and then they pay a fee based on the final bid amount if the auction gets a bid. To me, it's not worth all the work to make 50 cents.

The real benefit is in buying coupons on E-bay, in my opinion. For instance, my daughter loves Quaker Mini Rice Cakes. Quaker NEVER issues coupons for them. Someone has found some and is selling them on E-bay. The auction I won was for 15 coupons and the total I paid with shipping was 11 cents each coupon. The 50 cent coupons can be doubled and will be worth $1.00 at Lowe's, HT or Kroger. I buy the product anyway, so it is great to get an additionsl 89 cents off each bag (after the purchase cost is subtracted out) making it cheaper than the generic brand! With those 15 coupons I will save a net amount of $13.35!

I look forward to hearing about your savings, Southernborn. Welcome to couponing! Rachael at TCC runs a tight ship and I am sure you will be pleased.

14. frugalmomoftwo

15. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

FMof2
    Maybe it will help me save a dollar or two
    Thanks for the heads up :)

16. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Target at White Oak was great yesterday! Tons of stuff on clearance racks (especially the endcaps) they have some great picture frames on a huge clearance! I got a 16x20 NICE frame reg 29.99 for 6.00 the dollar bins are 75% off..great stocking stuffers and stuff! Have fun!

17. harleygirl

Thanks for the heads up, I love TARGET!!!!

18. Songbrd001

Songbrd001 Well-Known Member

Okay, I've really tried to get into this and identify with you guys, but it must take having a family b/c I suck at it! I get the coupons, then forget to USE the coupons. As you might know, that is the most important part of couponing!!! :?

However, I do save lots by buying on sale so hopefully I can contribute info in that area. And... TJ Maxx/Ross ROCKS!!!

19. harleygirl

It's easy, on Sunday's get the paper, go outside with your BIG coffee, smokes, paper, scissors, and your coupon orgainzer (they have them at Target) Place all coupons for the current month in the VERY front and the rest are filed where they belong. Keep the coupon organizer IN YOUR CAR!!!!! See how easy that was?

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey, you make it sound so easy. Every time I start trying to do the coupons, I end up forgetting them and when I go check them they are all out of date. I gotta check out Target for one of those organizers. Earlier in this thread you guys talked about couponing classes. Is anyone else doing one?