Covid 19

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Wayne Stollings, Mar 19, 2021.

1. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

An unvaccinated population also increases the risk of further virus mutations.

Rockyv58 and Wayne Stollings like this.
  2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

3. Wayne Stollings

A little humor ....

[​IMG]

DWK and Hught like this.
  4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Well Had covid, had the monoclonal antibodies and got both the Pfizer shots. Now I want the Million dollars they keep talking about :)

lawnboy, Hught and Wayne Stollings like this.
  5. Wayne Stollings

Ditto except for the monoclinal antibodies and J&J instead of Pfizer .... I would trade the million for having my old neighbor back as he did not survive his bout with Covid, or my best friend from high school who died of cancer because their surgery was delayed months due to Covid.

6. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

So sad…..CDC is saying that the deaths that are happening right now were entirely preventable, and are occurring primarily in unvaccinated populations. Can’t imagine what will happen to these unvaccinated populations after the Delta variant exponentially increases in just a matter of weeks.

7. Wayne Stollings

Nearly all COVID deaths in U.S. are now among unvaccinated
    [​IMG]
    CARLA K. JOHNSON AND MIKE STOBBE
    June 24, 2021, 3:48 PM

Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 853,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 0.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.

The AP analyzed figures provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC itself has not estimated what percentage of hospitalizations and deaths are in fully vaccinated people, citing limitations in the data.

Among them: Only about 45 states report breakthrough infections, and some are more aggressive than others in looking for such cases. So the data probably understates such infections, CDC officials said.

Still, the overall trend that emerges from the data echoes what many health care authorities are seeing around the country and what top experts are saying.

Earlier this month, Andy Slavitt, a former adviser to the Biden administration on COVID-19, suggested that 98% to 99% of the Americans dying of the coronavirus are unvaccinated.

And CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said on Tuesday that the vaccine is so effective that "nearly every death, especially among adults, due to COVID-19, is, at this point, entirely preventable.” She called such deaths “particularly tragic.”

Deaths in the U.S. have plummeted from a peak of more than 3,400 day on average in mid-January, one month into the vaccination drive.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Please for your family & friends, get vaccinated

Rockyv58, DWK and Wayne Stollings like this.
  9. Wayne Stollings

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...ects-can-put-breaks-elective-surgery-n1272263

Covid's lingering effects can put the breaks on elective surgery
    Waiting to undergo surgery for at least seven weeks after a Covid-19 infection reduced the risk of death, recent research shows.

June 25, 2021, 4:00 AM EDT / Source: Kaiser Health News
    By Michelle Andrews, Kaiser Health News

The week before Brian Colvin was scheduled for shoulder surgery in November, he tested positive for Covid-19. What he thought at first was a head cold had morphed into shortness of breath and chest congestion coupled with profound fatigue and loss of balance.

Now, seven months have passed and Colvin, 44, is still waiting to feel well enough for surgery. His surgeon is concerned about risking anesthesia with his ongoing respiratory problems, while Colvin worries he’ll lose his balance and fall on his shoulder before it heals.

“When I last spoke with the surgeon, he said to let him know when I’m ready,” Colvin said. “But with all the symptoms, I’ve never felt ready for surgery.”

As the number of people who have had Covid-19 grows, medical experts are trying to determine when it’s safe for them to have elective surgery. In addition to concerns about respiratory complications from anesthesia, Covid-19 may affect multiple organs and systems, and clinicians are still learning the implications for surgery. A recent study compared the mortality rate in the 30 days following surgery in patients who had a Covid-19 infection and in those who did not. It found that waiting to undergo surgery for at least seven weeks after a Covid-19 infection reduced the risk of death to that of people who hadn’t been infected in the first place. Patients with lingering Covid-19 symptoms should wait even longer, the study suggested.

But, as Colvin’s experience illustrates, such guideposts may be of limited use with a virus whose effect on individual patients is so unpredictable.

“We know that Covid-19 has lingering effects even in people who had relatively mild disease,” said Dr. Don Goldmann, a professor at Harvard Medical School who is a senior fellow and chief scientific officer emeritus at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. “We don’t know why that is. But it’s reasonable to assume, when we decide how long we should wait before performing elective surgery, that someone’s respiratory or other systems may still be affected.”

The study, published in the journal Anaesthesia in March, examined the 30-day postoperative mortality rate of more than 140,000 patients in 116 countries who had elective or emergency surgery in October. Researchers found that patients who had surgery within two weeks of their Covid-19 diagnosis had a 4.1 percent adjusted mortality rate at 30 days; the rate decreased to 3.9 percent in those diagnosed three to four weeks before surgery, and dropped again, to 3.6 percent, in those who had surgery five to six weeks after their diagnosis. Patients whose surgery occurred at least seven weeks after their Covid-19 diagnosis had a mortality rate of 1.5 percent 30 days after surgery, the same as for patients who were never diagnosed with the virus.

Even after seven weeks, however, patients who still had Covid-19 symptoms were more than twice as likely to die after surgery than people whose symptoms had resolved or who never had symptoms.

10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Daily new cases continue to drop in the US. Down to a 7-day moving average of just 11,590 across the entire country as of yesterday.

upload_2021-6-28_7-27-28.png

NC holding around the low 200 mark over the past 7-day average.

Johnston County is averaging just 10 new cases per day over the past 7-days.

upload_2021-6-28_7-29-49.png

11. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

99% of the new cases in the UK are Delta. In 30 days, the same is predicted for the US. I am NOT an anti-vaxxer but held off getting one for a while simply because, despite claims by the CDC and FDA and supposed "experts," there was (and still is) NO long-term history. My concern is that, 20 years after approval, Zantac is linked to cancer. Etc, etc etc. Pick your med-du-jour. That being said, I elected to get it (and 3 of my family members did the same, per my logic and reasoning to follow) because the only reason for significant mutation and spread is due to having adequate infectable hosts - unvaccinated humans, or otherwise people with antibodies. I never felt like the initial COVID wave was as severe as people made it out to be for the general healthy population. If the media cites "healty people" dying from COVID, and these "healthy people" are visibly, on TV, in living color, 300-lb teenagers, obese (30% of the population is clinically obese) adults who have lived on Walmart diets and TV dinners and potato chips and fast food for 30-50 years of their life, then I'm sorry, but those people were NOT HEALTHY to begin with, and it is ludicrous for any "scientist" to call them healthy. We have a MAJOR dietary and nutritional edpidemic in this country, and yes, vitamin D and vitamin B12 levels that are at epidemic LOWS today do have an effect on overall health, as do pesticides and general lack of vitamins and nutrition from junk food (and a pack of overfed, oversized, overpacked gristly chicken breasts from Walmart is "junk food," to be VERY clear). THAT SAID.....if you look at the trends of infectious diseases, the trends of COVID variants, the trends of the Delta variant specifically, in India and the UK, it is NOT a far reach to believe that Delta will be the dominant strain the US soon, Delta is MUCH more easily spread (masks may not work), AND it is deadlier to people who are not the "low hanging fruit" aka obese, sick, old, etc. You combine that with a logical conclusion that NO ONE is wearing masks anymore, and half the population of NC and more in Johnston County are NOT vaccinated, I feel like the Deep South is going to be the breeding ground for "Delta 2" come fall, and mutating viruses that may not affect swaths of the country, but that GREATLY affect local areas and communities with MUCH more deadly results will spread to people that clearly are healthy and lead exemplary nutritional lifestyles, and THAT is why I weighed the potential risks and the potential alternative in deciding to get the vaccine NOW, but not earlier.

You should too.

PS - the needle is about 1/4 inch long, and I have had zero side effects so far beyond a sore arm for 36 hours.

DWK, Hught and Wayne Stollings like this.
  12. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Johnston County averaging just 5 cases per day now. Several days with 0 cases lately.

upload_2021-7-2_7-9-49.png

markfnc likes this.
  13. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

14. Wayne Stollings

North Carolina has received 11,717,590 doses so far, administering 79% or 9,361,521 of the doses.

In North Carolina, 5,148,695 people or 49.09% of the population have received at least one dose.

Overall, 4,429,864 people or 42.24% of North Carolina's population have been fully vaccinated.

15. Wayne Stollings

In the US in total:

At least 182,896,080 people or 56% of the population have received at least one dose.

Overall, 157,908,171 people or 48% of the population have been fully vaccinated.

markfnc likes this.
  16. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

17. Wayne Stollings

But the problem with said guidance ....

The nation's top public health agency is not advising schools to require shots for teachers and vaccine-eligible kids. And it's not offering guidance on how teachers can know which students are vaccinated or how parents will know which teachers are immunized.

That's probably going to make for some challenging school environments, said Elizabeth Stuart, a John Hopkins University public health professor who has children in elementary and middle schools.

“It would be a very weird dynamic, socially, to have some kids wearing masks and some not. And tracking that? Teachers shouldn't need to be keeping track of which kids should have masks on,” she said.

DWK likes this.
  18. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Lifting the mask mandate right now doesn’t make much logical sense, especially after we are seeing hospitals fill up in those states with low vaccination rates, due to the increased virulence of the Delta variant. And with large swaths of the population still unvaccinated in concentrated areas, these people are as vulnerable as ducks sitting in a barrel. It’s too bad that some people cannot grasp simple biology, and the fact that viruses can and do mutate quickly and, if given half a chance, will outpace any efforts to contain them. There doesn’t seem to be much to celebrate just yet.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Travel throughout the country, for instance Kentucky this week, posted everywhere that if you are vaccinated you are not required to wear a mask. yet is funny that in those businesses less than 10% wear masks yet they have some of the highest unvacinated rates.

20. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Guess we’ll just have to watch this tragedy unfold yet again…..Sigh.