Covid 19

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Wayne Stollings, Mar 19, 2021.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Considering there are roughly 1000 community colleges, a very high percentage of the country should still be within an hour or less of one.

http://www.applyingtoschool.com/forms/ComCol-State.aspx

And a lot of what you mentioned sounds like poor parenting. If you give up on advancing, that is completely different than saying there are not opportunities available.

There are also trade schools that are fairly cheap. You can make $40k/yr as an entry level plumber or electrician these days and work your way up to close to double that in a few years if you try hard and get good at it.

There are almost 10 million job openings right now, so if you want a job, they are there for you to have.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/07/the...ob-openings-than-people-looking-for-work.html

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

This reminded me of my high school days. A very small class in a small high school that was combined with another small high school two years after I graduated. There were a few of us planning on going to college and wanted to take Trigonometry my senior year, but there were only nine of us who signed up and it took ten to force a class. The math teacher, who was also one of the coaches, did not want to teach it two years in a row and he had taught ONE and only one of the football players the previous year so he could play college football at one of his choice schools. I was able to get an advanced admission to the closest college about 40 minutes away my junior year in high school, so I was able to take pre-Calculus the summer of my senior year instead of one of the classes I had chosen. My freshman year I carried 11 hours and a lab, commuted to and from school, and worked 40 hours a week construction and nearly killed myself in the process.

DWK likes this.
  3. Wayne Stollings

Assuming you have sufficient skills and the jobs are close enough to allow you to work without moving or incurring high transportation costs. Giving up advancement is far different from not having an opportunity, and too many do not have an opportunity. An hours drive is hard if you do not have a car or your car is not trustworthy enough to put over 100 miles a day. The anecdotal beliefs do not actually carry over to reality as you seem to believe. one hundred thousand jobs available in California, for example, mean nothing to someone in Maine who cannot afford to move to California to get one of them.

DWK likes this.
  4. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

It seems that you are one of those transplants working in the high-tech industry, so as such, I doubt that you would know what I’m talking about. Johnston Community College has done a pretty good job in educating students and supplying them with the necessary skills to support local businesses, but not every area in the country is a burgeoning high-tech hub like ours is right now.

It takes tax dollars to build community colleges and develop curriculums in accordance with fulfilling local business needs, and not every town has the kinds of businesses, or tax base, to support higher education. And there are plenty of towns like that in the country. In addition, if a person needs to relocate to continue their education, they will need to get a job in order to pay their rent, tuition, and also the added expense of a reliable vehicle to get around with. That doesn’t include gas, maintenance, and insurance. So, for many students, taking care of those basic living expenses can be quite an obstacle to overcome, especially when they are without parental financial assistance. It’s not really that easy anymore.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  5. Wayne Stollings

For contrast and comparison ....

[​IMG]

6. Wayne Stollings

7. NJ2NC

NJ2NC Well-Known Member

8. Wayne Stollings

9. Wayne Stollings

10. Wayne Stollings

11. jesse82nc

Worth remembering. We have done over 10,000 miles of traveling, visting over 30 cities across 7 states since covid started. Get out there and see the world.

[​IMG]

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Worked Mexico last week and although working in 3 states next week and then 4 Provenances in Canada over the following 3 weeks. Have to prove you are fully vaccinated for Canada and tested within 3 days of coming back into the USA.

DWK likes this.
  13. Wayne Stollings

Before you die from being exposed to Covid-19 because you did not take proper precautions .... which can cut quite a few years off the life expectancy.

DWK likes this.
  14. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Tell this to the thousands of intubated people in hospitals with Covid right now. Maybe it’s “worth remembering” that we’re still in the middle of a deadly pandemic, and there are no guarantees that a person won’t get infected. You can’t “enjoy life” if you don’t have one. I’m sure that these hospitalized, unvaccinated people also believed that they could “enjoy their life” too, until they couldn’t.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  15. jesse82nc

Been exposed at least 3 times over the past year or so, including a couple weeks ago while visting family. They tested positive just a day after we saw them. Tested negative each and every time I have done a test, including last weekend. Probably been indoor dining in at least 100 different restaurants in the last year over those 30+ cities. Many of which the staff didn't wear masks even, let alone anyone patronizing.

16. Wayne Stollings

So you think you are immune and thus so is everyone else that holds that view. I really hope you are not very unpleasantly surprised at some point.

17. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

So, it really is just all about you…..except it’s not.

18. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

19. Wayne Stollings

20. Wayne Stollings