CSX in JoCo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Jan 13, 2016.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Certainly enlightening, but whats it mean?

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

a teaser for the announcement ... stay tuned ... film at 11-ish. ;)

Romeo likes this.
  4. cynadon

maybe they gonna expand the selma depot parking lot from 20 to 25. That way we can get some extra passengers on the Polar Express Santa Claus ride from Raleigh to Selma.

Romeo likes this.
  5. jesse82nc

Maybe they are going to add a second set of tracks from Selma to Garner, just speculation.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

What would be nice is passenger service from Goldsboro to Raleigh, with wifi

7. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

This isn't going to be passenger related. JoCo has two rail lines making an 'X' in the county. CSX runs Kenly to Benson ways through JoCo along the I-95 route and the NCRR, operated by Norfolk Southern, runs Clayton to Princeton ways. If it was commuter rail or anything like that is would head towards Raleigh, which CSX does not. If it is passenger, then Amtrak would be in front making some sort of announcement, or NCDOT for that matter. Saying it is a 'transformational development' means this is going to be huge rail infrastructure like an intermodal yard, inland port, etc. or this news is coming out of their economic development department and will be some sort of jobs announcement for an industry CSX attracted who will ship using via their railroad.

tassy likes this.
  8. jesse82nc

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/johnston-county/article54653390.html
    - $270 million hub will employ 300 people; CSX is looking for $100 million in incentives from North Carolina
    - Johnston leaders think terminal could draw distribution companies to the county

Railroad behemoth CSX on Thursday said it would make Johnston County an East Coast hub for shipping and receiving cargo containers. The company will build the Carolina Connector, an “intermodal terminal,” on land between Selma and Micro. The $150 million hub will create 300 jobs in the short term and could spawn 1,500 jobs across North Carolina in the years to come, CSX said. The 500-acre terminal will draw and reroute containers from East Coast trains and trucks and from North Carolina’s ports in Morehead City and Wilmington.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  9. jesse82nc

On another note, I can't find any 500 acre lots between Selma and Micro. The largest lot is about 230 acres, owned by Peedin Farms. Most others are between 40-100 acres. So therefore they will need to purchase several adjoining lots and piece them together.

10. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of a rail fan. Would love to see the rail yard there. but that would be a small rail yard compared to the UP yard in North Platt Ne. which is 2850 acres https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_Yard

11. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

12. cynadon

I hope so. Sounds great

13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Me neither, but a site like this will be long and skinny...thus the nature of rail yards. I think this is going to be just north of the US 70 and I 95 intersection. I am sure they will have to assemble parcels to make it happen and have probably already optioned and/or secured them if this announcement has been made. That side of the county could use some jobs to pull people from the Wake side of Johnston inwards. It is good news, but you can expect more trucks on the roads. A lot more.

14. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Earlier today CSX officials began reaching out to landowners in Johnston County to secure options on property east of Selma and close to Interstate 95 where the proposed facility would be constructed.

seems like they would have optioned the land prior to announcement

15. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

Here is what this could look like:

Like Harvey said, expect more trucks. If I had to guess there will also be some significant improvements to I-95 and US 70 interchanges near the area.

jesse82nc likes this.
  16. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

17. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

18. cynadon

Don't think you can do much for eminent domain, but I'd try to make sure the compensation covered a couple of generations. We got land and it would be hi as giraffe pu$$y if taken

19. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

unfortunately property owner does not set price in eminent domain situations.

20. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

You can contest the valuation in court, however. There is an Exxon station at the intersection of NC 54 and NC 55 just outside the park that had one of its entrances closed by DOT. DOT paid a nominal amount for the closure, but when the owner took it to court he got $1,000,000 as a lost revenue award. The amount paid must be market value and the right "expert" witness can make the difference.