CSX in JoCo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Please feel free to point out anything I have provided which can be shown to not be honest.

You are free to have your opinions, but having one does not make it any more truthful and is countered by the opinion of any other person.

The planet Earth, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy. How about you?

They were and in the process screwed over many of their fellow citizens, but they would have been compensated for far more than their property was worth, which meant they could have purchased a similar piece of property elsewhere and had money left over with which to care for their families.

You never had property in the proposed right of way of such a major project then. To paraphrase a quote from an old friend, "there were so many farmers who sold their worked out farms to build the RTP and in the process became millionaires"

That is not really related, but good for you.

What I am describing is what the US has had in it laws for centuries. The NC Constitution gave CSX the ability to take said land for the construction of a railroad facility, but they did not. I am surprised they did not since the new site is clearly inferior to the one they originally choose.

If your posts had been reviewed by an attorney for CSX they would have had several cases of libel based upon the presentation of false information and the case could be made for intent, but I was not being honest?

Good being informed is the way to draw good conclusions, but you have to be informed with correct information rather than inaccurate information.

You keep talking as if the two are interconnected. CSX has no input on landfills but the state local and possibly federal authorities do. That is after meetings are held for the local residents.

To an extent, but in certain circumstances they do not have the ultimate decision ability.

Beside eminent domain this choice was made by the landowners and those who will work at the facility will most likely live in another county than Johnston.

HOAs are essentially a civil contract organization which is optional since one does not have to purchase a house controlled by it.

You might want to read the thread more closely as there have been several people who cave opinions in the public forum including yourself.

So you make such a suggestion knowing nothing more about me, yet complain that I do not give the landowners their due respect?

While you do your opinion pieces? Sounds like you should be in control of something if you are going to be happy.

Statistics are wonderful things. Using them you can determine that a handfull of land owners can derail the porject that would result in jobs for hundreds of families, possibly including themselves. It is a common cost/benefit analysis the county did, CSX did, and everyone else involved should have but clearly did not.

Because it was unrelated to the issue.

As I said you are free to hold your own opinions.

The Truth likes this.
  2. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I would say that he's just one of many in this country who might have forgotten the true meaning of American independence, and that's a very sad thing. I suppose these days people are just fine with having other people tell them what to do, where to eat, how to think, and if you see things maybe a little more complicated - which most of the time it tends to be - then you're automatically insulted and disrespected, and that's just not right. I don't try to shove things down people's throats, that's not my way. Everything that I have read - and I went to Duke Energy's own website, as well as CSX's website - it's all right there for anybody with eyes to see - and you can read it on your own. And it's not like Duke Energy isn't admitting to the problem. They are. If you're not interested, in reading about these things, then fine, that's your choice to make as an American citizen. Unlike some of these posters, who seem to be on this board every single day, I don't come onto this board very often, and I doubt I will voice future opinions here after being subjected to this kind of mean-spirited foolishness, where the loudest voice in the room seems to think they are the authorities about everything under the sun, but I'll be damned if somebody tries to take away my constitutional right to voice my opinion. That's all I'm saying and I hope that you and everyone else has a pleasant evening.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  3. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Thank you for inquiring as to my "happiness". I am very content, thank you, in that I am completely and totally independent, and I do my level best to keep it that way. Unlike you, I do not find any happiness at all in repeatedly insulting neighbors you don't even know, like you continue to do on this thread. I do not aggrandize myself at the expense of others, sir, and if this is where we are now in our relations with people, then you can count me out. And to your insulting question inquiring as to whether or not I live on Earth? Yes, sir I do live on planet Earth, but I am very unlike you who seems to live with your head up Uranus. I will keep you in my prayers.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    poppin cork likes this.
  4. The Truth

The Truth Member

The only reason Four Oaks didn't get the CSX is greed. Then the greedy ones made people feel sorry for them and back them. Which mad a big snow ball of people wanting to jump on the band wagon.

5. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Wrong. The property / homes in Four Oaks are a lot more valuable than those in Selma, in the affected area. I know folks in both locations. Selma was abandoned because of one business. The 4oaks location would require purchasing several hi dollar homes and at least one business.

CSX screwed up with the approach. Not very business like.

Also, in 4oaks, You would have taken out a future county commissioners home.

CLJ likes this.
  6. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I don't believe that private landowners who don't want to sell their land are "greedy". It sounds to me like their rightful decision to keep their land for whatever reason, is causing a lot of sour grapes from people who may be jealous of that, which is probably where all this awful sniping came from. Nobody should be forced to sell their land if they don't want to, especially if they have memories here and may want to use their land to ensure the future for their children. If in the future, they change their minds, and decide to sell, or build themselves a mansion, a trailer park, or a pink, polka-dotted, snow cone stand in the middle of nowhere, it should be their decision to make. Ownership of private property, whether inherited, or worked hard for over a lifetime, is the right of every American to do with as they want. If it's any consolation to your anger, while Johnston County didn't get CSX, the county is forecasted to almost double in a short span of time. I'm sure that with that kind of population increase, there will be many, many other opportunities for you that will be sure to come along in the very near future.
    Thank you and God Bless.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    CLJ and Auxie like this.
  7. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you. However, on the flip side of that coin. Without imminent domain, we would not have I-40, I-95 or Hwy 70 to bring in that 2x growth you're referencing.

The other side to that growth is that it is taking place only on the Western side of the County. The Eastern side is hurting.

cynadon and Hught like this.
  8. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Yes Wade, I agree and that's a good point about the highways, but the government stepping in to take private lands for the purpose of making Duke Energy richer (and that's who will benefit the most) isn't right, so it's not really like the roadways where we all benefit. I also think that you're right in noticing that the growth on the West side of town has been so much stronger than on the East, but it could be because of the growth of high-tech businesses (Talecris, Grifols, and others) in that area that have fueled the housing market there and continues to push the growth out. Like you, I am hopeful that the East side will attract employers and provide jobs for people in the area. In fact, I've just heard that a large company has been looking around here to expand. I hope this helps, and have yourself a good evening.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    WadeCorbett likes this.
  9. Wayne Stollings

Good news for you ... The GOP in the legislature has given Duke energy the ability to keep most of the coal ash in place in NC and just buy water for those impacted by the poor storage practices.

http://ncleg.net/Sessions/2015/Bills/House/PDF/H630v5.pdf

10. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Why would you say, sir, that this is "good news" for me? I think the more accurate assessment would be that the "good news" would be for people whose water supply was ruined, although now they'll be dependent on Duke to give them clean, bottled water - and you know full well that I support the personal and financial independence of all people. I have said that repeatedly here, and you might want to invest in a few Qtips this week to unplug that peanut butter in your ears. If your mother told you when you were a little boy to clean up your room, and you just swept everything under your bed, would you go running to your cousin across the street and tell them that your room was "clean", and that it was "good news" for your cousin? What Duke does is Duke's business, but at least they're giving rural people clean water to drink now, and addressing the problem without sweeping it under the bed. But they all still lie to people, and never tell them the whole story.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    poppin cork and Auxie like this.
  11. Wayne Stollings

There will be less movement of coal ash by anyone in NC including CSX. That seemed to be especially troubling for you so it would have been good news that it was not going to happen. Personally I would have rather seen them have to move every bit to a modern landfill, but that is just me.

No, I think everyone other than Duke Energy and the politicians they own got bad news with this legislation.

They can afford to give the water since they were "forgiven" the fines which should have been applied and the state prevented any of the other organizations from bringing suits on the matter. The landowners could always sell although the value of their property would be pretty low given the water contamination concerns.

That is good news. I hope that you enjoy them. We have planned another cut of meat for tonight, but I do like a good burger.

The Truth likes this.
  12. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Right, but I don't expect to feed uninvited guests who bring the whole town with them.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Duke Energy provides power. I am all for environmental responsibility, but let's call a spade a spade - without Duke Energy we wouldn't be online discussing this right now. So, if there is a need for future infrastructure to accommodate our growing populace then I am for it.

Hught likes this.
  14. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

You'll need to back up a bit and read the whole thread, especially where I said that I am not against enjoying the creature comforts that power companies provide, and I definitely don't want to live in some kind of tree house without air conditioning! Nobody is arguing with that fact here. But as Mr. Stollings has recently pointed out, Duke now needs to provide drinking water to people whose water they ruined through coal ash site contamination due to unsecured, unlined, waste dumps. I'm fine with power companies, it would just be better if Duke had put some of their money into protecting rural water supplies. That's just responsible and prudent business practices. Thank you for your comment.

The Truth likes this.
  15. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

MMMKay, but I was addressing this specific quote:

...and offering my opinion that if the government needs to step in to make critical infrastructure happen from time to time, then so be it.

The Truth, Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.
  16. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  17. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Only it's not necessarily a just a private business and it is not just for their growth and benefit...it is a PUBLIC SERVICE COMPANY and are as defined:

A public service company (or public utility company) is a corporation or other non-governmental business entity (i.e. limited partnership) which delivers public services - certain services considered essential to the public interest. The ranks of such companies include public utility companies like natural gas, pipeline, electricity, and water supply companies, sewer companies, telephone companies and telegraph companies. They also include public services such as transportation of passengers or property as a common carrier, such as airlines, railroads, trucking, bus, and taxicab companies.

Public service (or utility) companies may operate under certificates of public convenience and necessity which may limit competition. Their services may be subject to rate control and other regulations which are not common to general businesses.

The concept of public service companies was that, in order to attract sufficient private investment capital and guarantee sufficient revenues to ensure appropriate operations and services, protection from ruinous competition and additional governmental oversight of rates and services were required to balance the needs of the owners of the business with those of the general public.

Hught likes this.
  18. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Just a little factoid. If the state and utility companies couldn't condemn land for the betterment of the citizens; I40 would not be here thus neither would all the housing in this area. Go further back and we probably wouldn't have even added the first railroad. The betterment of all usually trumps ones selfishness to keep their individual status quo. Qu Bruce Hornsby: "That's Just The Way It Is".

Hught, The Truth and cynadon like this.
  19. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

It amazes me that every single time I bring up the fact that your landholding Johnston County neighbors were CRYING and BEGGING that their land not be taken through government Eminent Domain, that you never even bother to respond to that. I suppose things like "heart" and "emotion" can't be put into a "law", or a "graph", or a "statistic", so these things have no value or importance to you, but they do to me, and those Johnston County landowners who fought to save their family lands. Also, you have conveniently deflected my question pertaining to the legislative changes in 2006 concerning the North Carolina laws of Eminent Domain and it's effect on private landowners. Would you care to open the discussion, or just deflect once again? Thank you and have a pleasant day.

20. The Truth

The Truth Member

Four Oaks and Johnston County lost out because a few well off, rich, greedy people acquired a following of band wagoner's to help them. There were many willing to sell and many willing to see the county grow. However these days people want to complain and jump on the first train to raise a stink. Yes people have rights but when the wants of a few overrule the needs of many we have a serious problem!!!! yes land is great to have, but with that being said if the people would have pulled together for it, instead of crying and complaining we could have gotten double, some triple value of their home and land. With that you could buy more land than you had and build a bigger house, set up college funds, give back to the community and schools. I was told one ladies dog in the fight against CSX in Four Oaks was that her kids went to school there. I told her then you should be for it cause they are not taking the schools plus we have the opportunity for more tax dollars to go to the schools and possibly new schools.

Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.