CSX in JoCo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Jan 13, 2016.

1. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I read your post and determined that you (as a person, not a generality) was confused about the word usage, so I went back and corrected it, so as to lessen confusion. I'm actually agreeing with you, but you are still fighting. Is there no way to please you?

2. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Oh for goodness sakes! Now I've heard it all! If you ("you" used in the personal, and not general sense) really want to tease out some semantics that deserve to be teased out, I suggest you go back to Bill Clinton's infamous statement: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" - which he said under oath. Right now, I have a double chocolate cake to frost and if I don't get to it, they'll be a lot of disappointed cake lovers out there tonight. But if you want to argue the merits of buttercream vs. whipped cream frosting, (recognizing, of course, that I have already constrained the argument by giving you only two choices), I''ll be happy to do that tomorrow. Have a good day, Peaches, and God Bless.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    poppin cork likes this.
  3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

He has always selectively spun things to his beliefs.

poppin cork likes this.
  4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Obfuscation and twisted deflection again.

It is these unconnected claims that make your position seem like it is unsupported by anything other than what you are trying to say at any given time and not what was said prior nor will it be connected to what follows.

You tried to connect the CSX intermodal facility here with the Jessup GA expansion and the problems with with ground water contamination somehoe related to storage of lines of cars, which was false. The problems in Jessup were not related to CSX because there had been no CSX expansion . The CCR transport, which was the supposed concern, had no relation to the intermodal facility either. The next "connection" was somehow that rural areas would be abused by CSX hauling CCR to ne landfills, which ignored the fact that the landfills would have to be sited and approved independent of anything CSX does. There was the side issue of how Duke handles CCR, which again was not related to CSX or anything else in the previous discussion. The issues of eminent domain abuse was then raised, even though there was no use of eminent domain in the intermodal facility here, probably due to the delay it would have imposed on the schedule. Others pointed out that eminent domain was actually needed for many public works programs, which brought about the moot discussion on the use of eminent domain for private industry outside that specified in the GS 40-A and the counter of robotics and how things had changed in industry over time. None of which related to CSX or eminent domain in NC. Now you have tried to connect globalization to this discussion ignoring the fact that eminent domain is not connected to most of the points you are trying to make although you still seem to want to claim they are.

5. Wayne Stollings

If you wish to discuss political views it should be taken to the pit, but I am sure you will "explain" how it really was not a political statement you were bringing up just like you did not indicate that CSX was storing CCR on the yet to be built siding in Jessup.

6. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

But she won't have to explain that you are a prick. You did that for her; as usual.

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  7. Wayne Stollings

I see the "high class" comments from the pit are seeping into the discussion area. Perhaps you should return to that area.

Sherry A. and Auxie like this.
  8. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

image.jpg

I saved you this piece of cake, Wayne. Paired up with a nice, tall, glass of milk, even the new global world should start to look better.

9. Wayne Stollings

Thank you , no. I try to eat healthier than that. In any case I believe it was you who had the issues with the new global world. I hope it makes you feel better to have cake and milk to take you mind from it.

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yeah, I consider menial warehouse work a 'good job' :rolleyes:. You can't have it both ways. You can't get 2 day delivery and not expect a business to automate in the name of efficiency. BTW, you still haven't addressed all of the jobs required to program and maintain our robot overlords. Those are good jobs.

Do you know how the computers of the future will run? They'll be run by a man and a dog. Computer does all of the work. Dog is there to make sure man doesn't touch the computer. Man is there to feed the dog. By my count there are two jobs right there.

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If only we could just stop time. And progress. Time and progress.

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

And stop convincing parents that their kids HAVE to get a college degree. At this rate in 10-15 years there won't be any skilled trade labor left in this country. I have a friend who looks for and hires skilled laborers like machinists, welders, electricians, plumbers and he is looking for them every single week. It's good pay, he just can't find the people he needs because they aren't enough of them out there.

The Truth, DWK, poppin cork and 3 others like this.
  13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Agreed. If you are a good at a trade these days you can make a good living. If you have a decent business sense and provide good customer service as well, then you can make a killing. No college degree required. That is, until robots take over of course.

14. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I have addressed "all the good jobs required to maintain our robot overlords", but those will be available only to people with some technology training. It won't be like the days when they were pulling in people with muscle off the streets.

15. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I agree. The trades are often overlooked. Plumbers, electricians, etc. bring in great wages, in a lot of cases, even more than somebody with a college degree, especially when you figure in student loan debt! Mechanization won't take over completely in these trades, but tradesmen will have to keep up with the changes that will happen when "smarthome" technology becomes integrated into the future housing market, but overall, they'll probably do just fine.

Auxie likes this.
  16. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Right again. A "social premium" has been placed on people with college degrees, and while some of that is warranted in that you need degreed people for certain professions, college degrees have become the "barrier to entry" for many professions, including the tech job I once had all those years ago, unfortunately. But we've got great community colleges around here that offer 2 year degree programs that teach a wide range of trade skills that JoCo people should be taking advantage of as the job market changes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Auxie likes this.
  17. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

No way to stop time and progress! Good luck trying to do that.

18. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

A little aside, but I would just like to say to all the young women out there looking for a serious relationship: Don't automatically disqualify any man because of what he does for a living. Some young men may have their four year college degrees, but these days a lot of them are in debt trying to pay it off right from the get go. While a tradesman might come home with dirt under his fingernails, they'll be more of a chance that he will become independent and therefore be able set his own rules in life.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Auxie likes this.
  19. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I have plenty of friends that do dirty blue collar work, didn't go to college, and make almost as much as I do with multiple degrees. One of my friends works for Gregory Poole fixing Cat equipment in the local quarries and has broken $100k several years in his career. He gets up early and comes home late almost every day, works 6 days most weeks, and is usually covered in dirt and grease when he gets home. He loves it.

Auxie, DWK and BuzzMyMonkey like this.
  20. Wayne Stollings

The ability of many of the older automobile mechanics has been degraded by the advent of computer automation in automobiles.