CSX in JoCo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

poppin cork and tassy like this.
  2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

property owners should be paid enough they can buy the equivalent amount of land and recreate their current buildings. If that happens, then this should move on. Its good for Joco, and the area.

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Auxie likes this.
  4. esther

esther Active Member

from what I heard last week the farm holders have been offered $4,000 an acre. Would you sell your home and land for that ridiculous amount ??????????? it might bring jobs, but it's also going to destroy an entire community. Think of what your children will be breathing in......exhaust from 400 - 500 trucks per day. Think of the truck congestion in both directions of 95. Also 70, 40 and 64. this will be a disaster, not a solution,.......

Auxie likes this.
  5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that this is how Walmart and other businesses get the materials we fill our houses with.

6. Wayne Stollings

Even using eminent domain the value would be higher than that for undeveloped land in this area. It may have been a first offer, but is was not an offer that would be expected to be accepted.

Auxie likes this.
  7. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Because they called and told you or you just know?

8. Wayne Stollings

It is called being logical. Land values are public record and the law on eminent domain is very clear about the land being bought for no less than market value when the law is use. That being said, would anyone expect to be able to buy large tracts of land for that amount? I think not.

9. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Market Value for one of the Lassiter Farms is $129,440 for 18.59 acres. That's about $7k an acre.
    upload_2016-1-25_17-2-29.png

On another one it is $281,120 for 17.37 acres, or about $16,000 an acre.
    upload_2016-1-25_17-4-6.png

Obviously some of these values come from the structures on the property as well.

Their valuable one comes from the property known as "The Farm". That one is valued at $932,830 for only 11.52 acres, or $81,000 per acre, mostly due to the large concert venue they built there.
    upload_2016-1-25_17-5-47.png

10. jesse82nc

My best guess says this is the land they are looking at for the hub:

csx.JPG

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I think Wayne addressed the property values very clearly. Eminent domain is not always a take it or leave it situation, however it can come to that unfortunately.

As for the destruction of a community, I think not. First, the immediate area of 500 acres cannot really be considered a community. Maybe a neighborhood. Sure, people know each other but when I think community I think town hall, ball fields, corner store, etc. Secondly, this is an area that also has a number truck stops, outlet stores, and one other rail yard in the immediate vicinity.

As for the exhaust, yes there will be more trucks. But there will also be more trains, which keep trucks off the road. Hard to say what the net effect will be. As for congestion these projects are about efficiency. CSX would not build here if it wasn't incredibly efficient to do so and this means a high likelihood that a lot of money will be spent on upgrading the feeder roads, interchanges and maybe even the interstate itself. It does CSX zero good to have trucks stuck in traffic.

If the offer of $4,000 per acre is true then it is likely based on something. While The Farm's (entertainment venue) owner has a high value piece of property due to improvements, others' do not. Just southwest of the intersection of Batten Rd. and Brown-Wall Rd. there is a 28+ acre property valued at $94,570. That is $3,377 per acre, so at $4,000 there is a 15% premium. More than fair, I'd say. However, since that land is partially cultivated you make an argument for loss of future earnings. If that plays out and CSX is willing to entertain that then they could get more, I guess. One thing CSX will not likely pay for are their feelings.

12. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

Expect it to look longer and skinnier. Likely going from Pittman Road interchange southwest to East Anderson / Pine Level Road. The existing, mainline railroad won't go through the middle, but likely be to one side of it. This would give them access to two I-95 interchanges (trucks) as well as a another railroad. Keeps the project confined between I-95 and existing railroad as well. Mostly farmland, a large trailer park, a dozen of more home sites and one high profile entertainment venue.

13. Wayne Stollings

Since the land itself is generally more expensive than the amount offered, and the value of any other improvements, such as structures or roads, on the properties must be considered as additional values. It should be impossible to think any offer below the tax value would be considered as a real and viable offer.

14. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I'm gonna guess 20 - 25 K per acre.

15. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

The values that you are seeing are values created by the county to assess a value to collect property taxes. The county goes through a process known as an Octennial Reappraisal every eight years. The last time this was done in Johnston County was in 2011. Therefore, the numbers that you are seeing are not in any way a correct reflection of the actual property values. Typically, the larger a tract of land, the cheaper the price per acre is.

My two cents: First offer is 10-20% less than value. Second offer is for value. Last offer is 10% over value which is cheaper to pay than hiring attorney's to pursue legal action.

I am neither for or against the CSX proposal at this time.

16. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Johnston Co. May Have Competition On Proposed CSX Project
    http://www.twcnews.com/nc/triangle-...tition-on-proposed-csx-cargo-hub-project.html

JOHNSTON COUNTY--"At the end of the day it's a great project,” said Johnston County Director of Economic Development, Chris Johnson.

Johnson says his region has been hit tremendously over the past 25 years with the loss of manufacturing, textile and tobacco jobs.

"We've never really recovered along the I-95 corridor and east after that. So this is just a tremendous, tremendous shot in the arm for a county that really needs it,” said Johnson.

During last Wednesday's meeting, Johnston County commissioners and many residents say they don't support eminent domain, leaving officials at CSX without a piece of land for their new cargo hub --- and now neighboring Wayne County wants in on the conversation.

17. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

18. jesse82nc

Always nice when when a few people can stand in the way of a project that would have created tons of jobs and transformed the eastern half of NC. Reminds me of those mussels they found so they couldn't build 540.

Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.
  19. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

20. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

i can't believe our county commissioners made this decision. should not have taken this vote. have jc industrial developer director work out compromise for other property along 1-95. would have been great addition for the county.