CSX in JoCo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Jan 13, 2016.

1. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Not really liking the idea of a CSX rail hub in Johnston County. Not only are they just plain ugly, and will spoil our rural area, it sets up the whole of Johnston County as being known as an "industrial corridor" in the future, and as such will continue to attract the same kind of industrial businesses. As it stands right now, Raleigh and it's surrounding towns are forming into specific "use areas", and will continue to do so in the future. Downtown is attracting lots of young professionals, with plenty of new apartments and restaurants, North Hills is getting more expensive like much of the Western part of the area, while the Northern part of Raleigh builds out new suburbs and shopping. Now we come to our area - the neglected Southern corridor from Garner into Johnston county. As we all know, we usually get the "short end of the stick" out here when it comes to planning and development, and it's no secret that it's mainly because our land and home values are cheaper here, which is why CSX is very interested. But do we really want to give up our rural character in exchange for 300 measly jobs, and many more big rig trucks going up and down 40 and 95 at all hours? If we don't start putting up some sort of conditions on these industrial businesses, Johnston county will become known as an ugly industrial corridor and we will lose our rural character that we all know and love. I like to see CSX try to put in their railway hub in Chapel Hill, and see how far they'd get with that!

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I don't get this one bit. I realize parts of JoCo are rural, but the area this is going into is the I-95 corridor which is littered with billboards, truck stops, small industrial shops, and outlet malls. Hardly the bridges of Madison County - picturesque it ain't, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Granted 5 miles off I-95 you can find some pretty areas, but rural doesn't always mean pretty. It can also mean poor, rundown and neglected and the CCX project could bring a lot of money to help fix this. The Hwy 70 Bypass went right through some of the prettiest land outside of Clayton, so what makes the area near Selma so special?

I also need to make a strong point that there is already a small rail yard in the immediate vicinity. Right at I-95, exit 98 in...wait for it...Selma. Granted this would be dwarfed by the CCX, but still. I will also point out that the Bailey Feed Mill is in the immediate vicinity and is considered a major transload (whatever that is) facility per their page: http://www.baileyfeedmill.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=33 It is huge (200 acres) and has a ton of rail in and out of it. According to JoCo Bailey employs 0-49 people.

Yes, the outskirts of any city usually get the short end, but this is not why CSX is picking this area. Nor is is because of land values. They are picking it because it is ON THEIR RAIL LINE that has access to ports up and down the eastern seaboard. These ports are where your goods come into our country and a big reason why you have access to so much so cheaply. They can't run a new railroad in the middle of nowhere just to avoid people. The railroad is their for a reason. Better yet, Selma is there for a reason and that reason is the railroad. Most towns we know grew up around a railroad. Unfortunately, any modern railroad resurgence is met with NIMBY when 100 years ago it meant economic prosperity to have a railroad in your backyard.

Melon, markfnc, cynadon and 3 others like this.
  3. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Good points Harvey and I really think the biggest problem with this is...................NIMBY. I can understand that and don't blame them, but about everything has a price. Lets see if the price can be met.

cynadon likes this.
  4. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

5. John Carr

John Carr Well-Known Member

I agree with N.C. Rep. Leo Daughtry and think it will prove to be a major mistake if Johnston county lets this one get away. I do feel bad for the landowners who don't want to play, but I do believe that they will be able to buy other land and have dollars left over. For others, who are close by and don't have to sell, I believe the value of their land will greatly increase very quickly. As for the farm venue being affected, I believe it will be out of business within a fairly short time anyway and selling now will most likely be a financial saver for that owner. Again, I predict many regrets if this project goes elsewhere.

jesse82nc, poppin cork, Hught and 2 others like this.
  6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I don't believe some of the stories I've heard about purchase price. They's a difference between tax value and market value. CSX can "make offer they can't refuse". NC has pledged what, 100 million, with JoCo kicking in 6 or 8.

Auxie likes this.
  7. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

I've talked with 2 county commissioners who both stated the owners were offered 3 times the tax value for the first offer. The stories getting around are just stories, I think.

jesse82nc likes this.
  8. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

If someone came to my door and said "I'll pay you 3 times your tax value for your property". I'd say "Where's the check?". Then I would go to bank to verify and pack up my cars and be gone that day lol. :D

markfnc, Auxie and Rockyv58 like this.
  9. cynadon

There's a difference between an acre with a house and a tract of farm land. Farm land is valued lower so you can afford agriculture. Everybody seems to like green space. "The Farm" operation is valued at 9.3k for 12 acres. Times 3 = 2.7 mil. Add 2 million for the next 20 years and you get the market value. I could be wrong

10. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

if this is true. does the owner know he was going to receive 4.7 million for 12 acres in selma nc?

11. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

Where were all the complaints when the ethenol hub was announced in Dec? We've already got an "industrial corridor" -- let's use it to our advantage. I truly hope that CSX is able to move forward on the CCX plan and that the landowners get to make some good money.

Even though my acre in Selma is not in the target area, if CSX wants it, I'm willing to sell for the right price!

12. cynadon

if I had to bet, I bet it happens.

jesse82nc likes this.
  13. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

14. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

9.3K or 903K 9.3k would be 9300, even at 9300 per acre is only 110,000.

15. cynadon

4.5 to 5 million. Maybe I ain't good with decimals or the metric system. Hell, Stevie Ray Vaughn missed a note here and there

16. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The tax value for the Farm is just shy of 1 million dollars including buildings which makes it a multi-million dollar offer at least.

cynadon likes this.
  17. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

In other news: Johnston County leaders snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Melon, Hught, Auxie and 2 others like this.
  19. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

jesse82nc likes this.
  20. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news-article/ncdot-still-evaluating-csx-project/

RALEIGH — The North Carolina Department of Transportation plans to continue its evaluation of CSX’s request for $100 million toward a Johnston County intermodal project even though a spokesman for Gov. Pat McCrory said on Jan. 26 the proposed rail hub “does not appear to be a viable option.”

NCDOT Rail Division director Paul Worley told Carolina Journal on Friday that his office would evaluate CSX’s request using the Strategic Mobility Formula the state uses to rank transportation projects. Worley said the final list of projects selected for funding would be released in March.