Cutting cable TV

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Vanosa, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

We got two years for 84.00 a month.

We have two receivers. You can record in one room and watch it in the other. You can also record four shows at once.

We skipped HD, seeing as how we never got to watch it on TWC anyway.

Had it installed on Monday, it runs much smoother than TWC. No drags/hangups. Some cool features too, like Last channel is a list of several channels that you last viewed and when looking at the guide and you say "Oh cool, American Pickers is on!". You scroll up to that channel and it shows picture in picture so you can say "Oh, I've already seen that one" and keep on moving.

I think hubby set it all up online. And another cool feature I saw, you can link up your facebook under an applications tab (although I don't think you're on facebook, since we aren't friends :( ). And when setting stuff up to record, it automatically shows a description, you don't have to press info and get.... a dragging hangup.

TWC called me yesterday I said "Too little too late buddy. I got tired of calling and haggling/negotiating with you fools" He said he was going to beat their price. That's nice, I'll stick with this - I already dropped your junky hardware off. Find some other sucker.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

JCoRes, if you don't mind answering, how much is your Centurylink internet w/o the landline? I am wanting to drop my landline and want to decide if I can stick w/ my DSL or switch to TWC or Earthlink.

I am wanting to do away w/ my Dish, too. It just went up to $69 per month, plus I have to pay for my mother's bill. I was using the FICA tax credit to pay for hers, and now that that is gone, I need to come up w/ the money to cover her bill. She is elderly and has cancer and only gets SS, so she can't afford it anymore.

3. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

I dropped cable about 18 months ago and DID miss it for the first couple months or so. The convenience of being able to quickly flip through channels was nice.

But I have finally made the transition, acquired the necessary bookmarks, memorized the particular websites and their navigation, I can find most of what cable TV offers in a matter of a couple few minutes . . at least the channels I used to watch most often.

The other "novelty" since I had a 1080P TV 'going to waste' was to use it and have a grand Central monitor. :cheers:

So I now have a media barren living room, and an overwhelming computer room. I will say it takes PC multitasking to another level.

[​IMG]

4. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

For the internet and 4room DVR, it's about 110-112 after all those fees that get tacked on (taxes and whatever else these companies throw on there). Not really saving much but don't have the hassle of holding if calling for something (cust service been great the 2 times we did call) and locked in for 2 years so don't have to hassle $$ increase every 3 mos like did with TWC. I do miss TWC guide but only because I had the channels memorized after 12 years of service with them. Now re-learning where my shows are.

5. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

We made the switch to CL too. And yes, the promotional pricing does expire, just like with TWC. The BIG difference is though, literally all you have to do is call CL and say, renew me another year, and they go back to your original pricing. You are locked in, no haggle, no customer retention department, just call.

There have been two times that we got our bill, and it was higher because promotional pricing expired, each time I called the customer service dept, they renewed the contract, and applied it to the current bill with no questions asked.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I pay $114 to CL for a PrismTV package with 4 tvs, internet AND phone.

7. Richardstech

Richardstech Member

Cutting cable

I really love the dvr feature. I found an antenna dvr. Www.simple.tv and a rouku box, done. I'm spending 8.00mo plus the odd vudu movie. Saved me over a hundred bucks each month.

8. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Do you know if the simple TV will stream to a smart tv?

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

This sounds interesting! So you plug the tv into the rouku box to get your stations, then use the simple.tv thing to route to the tv, pc or whatever? Am I understanding correctly? :)