Date Set

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by ForeverFaithful, Aug 11, 2008.

1. AWmom

AWmom Well-Known Member

Just love your little girl with all of your heart the next few days all you can. I just did this 2 weeks ago with our Jamie girl. She was so good to us and I know she is running in Heaven with all of the dogs without any pain now or cancer. That is what gets me through everyday. It still hurts so bad and I it still feels like it was just today that I told her good bye. We told her over and over that day that she was the best and that we will see her again. We too made an appt for her. It was the first time my hubby and I had to go through with something like that. Like someone already said in this thread that it was the hardest thing they ever had to do and I would have to agree. When the vet came in the room with the medicine, I was not sure if I could go through with it even though I knew it was time. I was just being selfish and did not want to let her go. I will have to tell you that it was very peaceful for her but heart wrenching for me. Again, I am so sorry for your pain right now. Time will only heel the pain.:grouphug:

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

FF, I've been EXACTLY where you are. My heart breaks for you and your family. I don't know if the pain is easier if you have distractions like kids, but for me, that's not an option. I know your DH and kids love Belle so much and ONLY want the best for her.

Story...

When we took Shelby in to see DR Basden, we wrapped her in her blank"e" put her in the truck between me and DH and just loved her and talked to her the whole way there. To HER not each other. Told her about how she was going to see Hunter etc... She didn't even move a peep from Apex to 4042 when DH put her on the floor at Dr Debbie's and tried to unwrapp her blank"e" she shook it off and started wagging her tail in front of complete strangers in a strange room. NOT like her AT ALL! Anyone who met her can attest to that! She was VERY protective of her mommy!

Putting Shelby "to sleep" was BY FAR the hardest decision I've EVER had to make (I could tell you more stories about my life, but not now) but it was the RIGHT decision and the RIGHT time. She went with DIGNITY! WITH her mommy and daddy right there with her telling her it was OK and how very much we (and Mattie and grandma and grandaddy) loved her.

You know me, I am NOT going to tell you this will be easy. It's hard to let go. We are selfish people. Time may heal wounds, but not mine, because I'm selfish and want her here with me.

If you want me to go with you, I will. I mean it!

I love you and I'm SO VERY SORRY you have to go through this. Hey, Belle can play with Shelby, she loved other dogs! Tell Belle to say Hey to Shelby for me and that I'll see her soon!

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I am afraid my sister is going to have to put down one of hers today. She is bleeding internally and they don't know why. Prognosis is not good.

I hate it for anyone who has to go through this. I crying for all of you.

4. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this is a situation that my husband and I have found ourselves in - that of having to make the "decision". We have an 18-year old weiner dog who is blind, deaf and now is having extreme trouble moving around. When we take Rocky out to potty, we are having to use a towel to help him walk and lift his backside up. He gets lost in the house and continuously runs into things. This is my husband's dog and I know that he will have a hard time dealing with this situation. Several months ago when we first started talking about having to make this decision, it was decided that we would not bring another dog into the house but that decision was made for us last October when I rescued a little chihuachua/rat terrier mix and he (Yoda) made himself right at home in our house. Hopefully when the time comes to say good-bye to Rocky Yoda will be a bit of comfort to us. We are going to call our vet and see what we need to do and the approximate cost. We will be praying for those of you who have gone through this and for those who are facing the same situation.

5. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

I picked up "Whiskey" ashes yesterday. It was sad. I saw another dog coming in who could bearly walk and I thought about what I went through with her last week. She was a good dog.

6. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

I went through this with my black lab mix in 2000, she was 13. I stayed with her through it all and was sobbing like a baby. I gathered my composure long enough to get to the car and called my Mom and the sobbing started again. I still think about her all the time, and always on March 24th every year (the day it happened). I still miss her and the guilt was/is incredible. I saw a pup who reminded me of her at an adoption this past w/e and my Mom, thank god saw the lump in my throat and got me out of there. My heart goes out to you.

7. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Hey everyone ~ I am sorry I have not been able to post anything for a while, but with letting Belle go and then not having any internet, well have not been able to get on here.

It was rough last week. Thursday night was hard and then so was Friday morning. My husband wanted me to go ahead and go to work because he knew how hard it was going to be. I argued, but in the end he won. Before I left, we let Belle in the house and I sat down on the floor and just hugged her not wanting to let her go. She looked at me with those big brown eyes so full of love and understanding that it tore me up. She licked my face and even seemed to have a smile on her face when I told her how much I loved her and was going to miss her. I finially had to say good bye and cried all the way to work. My husband told me that he cooked her some eggs and sat on the floor with her as she at them because she was having a hard time standing up. He said he then took her out for a small walk. He said on the ride over to the vet's office, she stretched out across the truck and laid her head on his lap and he said that he cried driving to Garner.

I had gotten to work and was really out of it and had a hard time concentrating and cried off and on that morning. I had been told that if I needed to I could go home early, but I was sure I would be able to make it through the day. When 9:00 hit, which was the time of her appointment, I sat at my desk and cried.

My husband called me once he got home and told me how things went, which just caused me to break down. Such a rush of feelings went through me at that time, and then I started thinking about the kids, which made me feel even worse. At that time, my boss came in and told me he thought it would be best if I went home. He understood how I was feeling and felt I needed to be home with my family.

I came home and then had to tell my daughter that Belle had died. Maybe this is wrong, but we did not tell her we put Belle down, but that she had died in her sleep more or less and that is also what we told Kyle. It has made it so much easier for them.

Our other big dog, Chico, is constantly going to the windows sitting and watching and he watches when he goes outside, like he is looking for her to come home. My poodle has been a bit more hyper than she normally is. Last weekend, they both looked so lost. They are a little better right now, but still seem confused. Actually we all are doing a little better although we have our moments.

We received her ashes back Monday. She is sealed in a white plastic box that has been put inside a velvetine bag that says on the outside, until we meet again at the rainbow bridge, and there is a copy of the poem inside the bag also. I know this may sound dumb, but after getting her ashes, on my way home from work, I talked to her all the way home. My daughter hugged the container and cried, I have cried with my son, and I am crying right now. I miss her so much and it was hard cleaning out her pool and putting it up, cleaning out her dog dishes, and all that stuff. The vet did cut off some of Belle's hair, so we do have that and I am going to divide it up between the 2 kids and my daughter has got her collar on one of her stuffed animals.

We are doing better, but I know it will take time.

tdc ~ after seeing you at Lowes, me and DD went home and instead of drowning our sorrows in chocolate, we did in with soda. We cleaned the house up some, stopped and cried, did a little more, cried, and it went on all night. But it is getting a little better.

Thanks so much everyone for everything.

FF & Family

8. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

So sorry, FF

9. biguncfan

biguncfan Guest

Geez this thread is killing me. We put our dachshund down a couple of years ago. He had a disc to slip and went paralyzed. We had the surgery and didn't do what we were lead to believe it would. He developed an infection in his back some time later and was in pain. My wife and I couldn't handle being there when it was done at the vet's office. Am I bad for that? I just couldn't handle seeing him being put down. We have no kids, so he was our kid. My wife has held it against me ever since for making the call to have it done. I sincerely feel for you, all of you with your losses.

10. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

Don't let yourself take the blame! No one could have predicted the outcome of your little guy's surgery. You were just doing what you thought was right. That is wrong of her to hold it against you. Sorry for your loss. :cry:

FF, sorry for your loss too. I know I would be crushed if anything happened to one of our doggies.

11. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

{{FF}} So sorry you had to go through that. I don't blame you for not telling your kids. When I was a teenager, my best friend "died in his sleep" too. I didn't find out until about 5 years ago that he was put to sleep. I would have had a much harder time with it if I had known at the time. It was the right thing for my folks to let me think at the time.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

FF, still sending hugs your way. My sister did end up losing her dog on Tuesday. I hurt for you both. Thoughts and prayers.

13. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

So sorry for you, FF. My Rudy looked like a black version of your Belle and we had to put her down due to cancer-makes me cry over this thread even more than I would have. It sounds as if you gave her a very happy life and you and your husband did what was best for her. I am thinking of you all and praying for you.

14. my4kiddies

my4kiddies Well-Known Member

This just tore me up and im so sorry for you and your family's loss ...I think i need to call off work now because this has truly upset me and i have been crying constant since reading this .I remember having gone though this before and also losing my handsome and sweet miniature poodle to the coyotes in California , This is so very hard for one to go through . I hope you and your family are all doing much better today , you are all in my hearts ! Please accept my condolences , From my family to yours ...:grouphug:

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

FF my heart goes out to you and your family, it is so hard to lose one of our 4legged family members but take joy in all the years you had together and all the love Belle received, know she was happy:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

16. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

{{{{HUGGS}}}}

FF, praying for sweet memories to help with the pain!

Frogger

17. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Hugs FF, I'm so sorry for your loss.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

As I stated to Kaci, it always is hard, but at least they know they were loved.