Dilemma...What would you do???

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 4ME2KNOW, Feb 12, 2010.

1. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

I would just boycott using this type of monitor at all. It just creeped me out to think that someone else could pick up the feed regardless.

The Dad told the Sheriff that they bought it from Babies R Us and that the box said it was designed to stay within the confined space of the house, but the frequency was visible for about a block from their house.

I'm just gonna spread the word to all my friends having babies to NOT use a video monitor. As technology advances there are too many creeps out there that would use it for evil!

2. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I do think it's really concerning that these cameras allow strangers to peak into others homes ... especially because these cameras are mainly used for children's rooms. Although the average parent may not be aware of this technical problem, I'm sure the pedifiles are all very aware of the issue. I knew that many of the older audio monitors could interfere with each other. In fact they provide the handy A/B switch so you can use a different frequency than your neighbor because this happens so often. I've never purchased a video monitor for my childrens' rooms ... but I falsely assumed that these visual monitors would have been more secure that the audio ones were. I'm sure most parents using these video monitors to increase their children's safety ... have no clue that they may have opened the walls of their kids' rooms for all strangers to see. I guess this has been a know issue for quite sometime ... even though I've never really heard or thought about it until seeing this thread.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/16040706/detail.html
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/11/baby-monitor/

I didn't really research, but I'm sure there are probably more expensive models that can encrypt the signals. I just think its crazy that the less secure cameras are even advertised as a tool for a childs room.