Diverging diamond for 40/42 exit

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by certdude, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I was there. There are two projects, really. The I-40 widening and the Hwy 42/Cleveland Road Improvements. I-40 widening is a simple project. Adding a lane. No lanes will be closed during construction. I asked that they be as proactive with their Public Relations push as they were with the Fortify project.

Then...I walked over to the 40/42 improvements map. There were some hot people over there. A handful of people were giving the NCDOT rep an earful about the property takings that will occur both at 42 and at Cleveland Rd. I understand this is people's land, house, etc., and they may want to live there until they are buried in the back yard, but there is a way to argue your point effectively without coming across as an ignorant goofball who just needs someone to shout at. They claimed they knew nothing about the project until today, never received the postcard, haven't read the paper, none of their friends posted anything on Facebook, etc which I find hard to believe since this project has been talked about for two years now. The first they heard about it was when a surveyor showed up on their land to do a soil core sample and they ran them off.

The improvements themselves make a lot of sense and we should feel fortunate that the state is spending the money to fix the problem - a problem that is caused by County leadership in my opinion. By leadership I am referring to commissioners, planning board, and economic development authorities. They have caused the problem through unchecked growth and failure to attract jobs to the interior of the county despite having a huge workforce, two railroads, two interstates, etc. Anyway...I looked over the map some more and then pulled Mr. DOT aside and thanked him for handling himself so professionally, because I could not do what he does at these meetings.

Here's a link to the maps: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/publicmeetings/?search=I-511

2. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Harvey thanks for this.

Looking at the 42 crossing project, is any land really being lost at 42 only? Cleveland yes, but 42 looks to mostly be bridge work, with the ramps remaining almost how they are today, just direction changes, etc.

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Looks like a little parking here and there in business' front/back yards. There will be a lot of new retaining walls along 42 in front of the main drag. Traffic circle on Glen Rd will be a welcomed addition. I wish they would consider one at Glen and Cleveland as well.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Besides the traffic circle on Glen road, are they still going to do away with the traffic light at Glen road at Hwy42 and put a traffic light at Technology dr and Hwy42? I cannot tell from the markings on the map. And thanks for the details of the meeting.

I was just thinking, that if they put the light at Technology drive/hwy 42 and take it away at Glen/Commerce/Hwy42 I bet a lot of people will start going on commerce to be able to skip the light and make the right turn onto hwy42

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I missed it, but yes. Looks like no more light at Glen/Commerce in favor of 'exit only'. I guess this is a big reason for the traffic circle - keep traffic flowing. The new light at Technology would be better spaced.

I already do this now, but this option will also be taken away. The new plan would allow you to do this to a point, but it doesn't look like you can get out onto Hwy 42 (take a right turn) from Commerce. You'll only be able to access Commerce going in from westbound Hwy 42, but not get back out. Therefore, it looks like Burger King may be a business casualty.

upload_2017-10-3_14-57-2.png

6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I wonder if that is why the Exxon Station closed.

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

This sounds very exciting!!! BUT, if traffic is free flow from 40 onto 42 West or East... with 42 being so narrow, how long do you think traffic is going to keep free flowing when traffic builds up? And same in the morning for rush hour going onto the 40 East from the 42? How many years will it take to build this new thing, and what are the detour routes? Also if traffic is free flow, how are people supposed to get out of all the stores onto 42? You can't get our now with the traffic!!!

8. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I agree.

What it looks like is the "cheapest" option available to get the Johnston county step children off their backs. While they give the north and west side of town the best highways money can buy.

That free flow design will clear the highway just fine but it's going jam up 42 like we've never seen it before. And circles? Who was that genuis? If you want to compound the problem put a circle in to totally stop traffic.

Put a clover in and widen the highway like they've done everywhere else in town. While they're at it they can give us the 540 they promised 10 years ago but instead, spent millions on improving the rich areas in raleigh.

More than likely this is just another pretty plan review to have us wait 5 years for them to actually break ground. What's this, the 6th meeting and highway plans we've seen but were never built over the past 15 years?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Auxie likes this.
  9. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

So based upon the maps, does that mean that Triple Barrel Tavern will have to close?

Looks like part of the building will be in the future roadway, and they lose some of their parking lot which is already too small.
    tbt.PNG

11. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

That’s the same way I read it. That and the house and property over the bridge across from Westview are the only two structures I could see that will go away.

12. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

No, they plan on taking 7 houses!

13. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

WOW!!! What houses on what roads?

14. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

All on Cleveland Road from West View to 42.

15. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

Cleveland Road will be just like 40/42 if they put that interchange. The interchange needs to be on Cornwallis Road to divide the congestion.

Auxie likes this.
  16. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Are you serious???? Even the house that had their land divided to put in the 40 years ago?? That can't sit good with them!!!

17. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

They are the first ones to go. And the next five are going also. NCDOT has not contacted any of them.

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Most likely because it is a plan, not a final design. It would be unwise to notify anyone that they will have their house/property condemned this early in the game.

This is why they have the public meeting and people need to go to them and/or write in with feedback so they can adjust the plans where possible. I am not a huge fan of NCDOT, but let's keep some perspective in that they are responding to a problem that was caused by 2 decades of County leadership (or lack thereof, if you prefer). We can all share a bit of the blame as well as our mere presence is a large part of the congestion problem.

Auxie and cynadon like this.
  19. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If anyone does plan on providing NCDOT with feedback, then something you may want to consider is zoning/building issues at the new Cleveland Rd. interchange. Now, this may be more appropriate to direct towards the county but it is something to consider. If the whole purpose is to ease congestion then what good will it do to see gas stations, fast food joints, and other development at the new interchange? I realize if further impacts those property owners, so perhaps not restrict but carefully plan if adjoining land is to be rezoned/developed. I

cynadon likes this.
  20. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

The Cleveland School area is already seeing an increase in commercial development, for example the new food lion shopping center, this helps me because I don't have to go near 42 hwy for groceries any more, so that's 1 less car up there. I think the new interchange will be good for the community because you will no longer need to go to 40/42 intersection to get home from work if you travel 40, it will help split the traffic into 2 areas. I also feel bad for those who are losing their homes, but there may not be a better way.