Diverging diamond for 40/42 exit

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by certdude, Sep 14, 2017.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

That road is very little traveled isn't it? The last time I was on it, I was like one of the only cars. It's a small back road.

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I agree, but I suppose the concept behind that ( as an alternative) was to get people further in to the County towards the Mcgees area.

3. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Why a gym? Why not a couple classrooms (this is a town hall or a presentation, to me it was a presentation), or even the cafeteria. Cafeteria isnt used for sports. Theres way too many schools they could have done this in.

4. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

You are looking at the wrong side of Cornwallis Road.

5. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

Yes, I went to the meeting & they could not give me a reason why Cornwallis was not chosen.

6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

If 40 exited on Cornwallis, most of the traffic would head back to Cleveland rd. DOT just took out an extra step of loading up a secondary rd to access a bigger rd. When it snows, which road gets plowed first? I know a way high up engineer who told me such. I'm sorry your'e going to lose property, but it's going somewhere.

poppin cork likes this.
  7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

There was no formal presentation. Just maps on walls with representatives taking questions. A very open forum. Schools are in session, you are not going to just invite the general public into a school given the safety issues these days. Especially into a cafeteria where they have already cleaned up for the day. Then there is parking. Teachers are still working up to 5:00 pm in some cases. A school is not appropriate to have this. Can we move on, please?

As Jesse states the meeting was 12 minutes away from the furthest point of the project and much closer to other areas affected. If your issue is with where they had their meeting, then your energy could possibly be put to better use. It is not like the meeting was in Durham.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    jesse82nc likes this.
  8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Then, I would suggest contacting Bob Deaton who is managing the project and asking for a answer to this question.

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I will also say this. If you ever want an example of unplanned growth, then the immediate 40/42 area is the poster child for this. None of it is coherent, logical, or considerate of the larger community. You have 35+ access points in the half mile between cook out and Walgreen's. This includes I-40 access, but this is insane. The surrounding area(s) of Glen Rd., Cleveland Rd., Commerce Pkwy, etc. are not much better.

cynadon likes this.
  10. cynadon

Have you been here long enough to know about the "spite strips" ?
    That's where a lot of the problems started!

11. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

That might be a good excuse if we lived up North. But we get maybe one snow a year and some years no snow!

12. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

The problem is they DID NOT put Cleveland Interchange on the card sent out & they put an article in the paper 5 days before the meeting.

13. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

I HAVE!!!

14. cynadon

I'm not blaming it on the snow!!! Just saying, secondary vs primary. The majority need Cleveland Road versus Cornwallis Road. I hate you gonna lose your house, but it just is

15. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Been here since '97, but unaware of 'spite strips'.

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

They did in back 2014. Listen, I overheard people at the meeting say they did not get a post card. These are people being directly affected by the project and the public meeting was the first they have heard about it. I call BS on this. It really doesn't matter how the NCDOT goes about the public meeting process because they meet their obligations under the law. What matters is that if there are legitimate concerns about the project itself, that the public addresses them through the proper channels now.

17. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

2014 is not now. Like you state, these folks didnt get notice, are hearing conflicting stories, and are not getting answers as its been clearly stated to very specific questions about this. So evidently the public address systems for this are not working. A lot of these folks also didnt live here in 2014. I know some of the affected properties didnt even exist in 2014 and have been built since. So if they publish something then, they need to explain why its different now. As folks have been hearing that story for the past 3 years and expect it.

I know plenty of lawyers will be looking into this. Which is partly why 540 still isnt built, as they had the same issues (environmental issues notwithstanding).

And theres more than the "affected area" concerned about this. I live halfway to Benson, use 40/42 every day, and am concerned about all the traffic patterns this will move around. And yes Ive called a few public officials about this.

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Have you gotten a response?

19. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

You know what happened? The postcard got lost in the mail. They don't read the paper. They don't have access to the internet. I also overheard the NCDOT official say they sent out 14,000 postcards. Maybe they get mail at a PO Box they don't check? Maybe they didn't bother to read the thing because it looked like junk mail. Doesn't matter. NCDOT likely met its obligations. I didn't buy a house in Austin Pond because I was concerned about it's proximity to the Hwy 70 bypass prior to it being built. The selling agent had no idea where it would be built or when. My agent did not know. I looked it up, figured it out, and decided not to buy based on this.

Like I have said before, NCDOT is not the problem. They are trying to FIX the problem the best way they can and by affecting as few people as possible. If anyone wants to release anger, take it out on County officials whose policies have led to the problem in the first place.

Well I did a quick check of the tax records for the affected properties at the proposed Cleveland Rd. interchange. By 'affected properties' I mean those that will either have a building to be removed or affected in some other way (reduced parking, lack of access, etc.). Not a single one was built after 2012 and nothing has been sold after 2014 except what looks like a rental property and one commercial property. In any event a good realtor and some due diligence would likely have uncovered potential NCDOT projects near an interstate. So this argument holds little to no water.

20. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Would that be Triple Barrel Tavern? I know Tyler bought it in the past year or so and completely renovated it. Now on the current plans, Cleveland Road cuts though part of the building.