Do you go to church or not?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by browns rule, Aug 17, 2009.

1. jennandchad

jennandchad Active Member

It's not about religion, its a relationships

To me religion is more about rules than where you heart is. If you go to church including bringing your family out of obligation, then you are going for the wrong reasons. you should be going to worship God, hear God's word and be a part of a community that is reaching out to others in the church and outside of the church. If you are involved in your church, your children will see the proper examples you are setting for them later on in life including returning to God what he's blessed you with. We always try to explain to our younger children why we are there and get involved in what they did while they were there and reinforce simple lessons for them.

It should be beyond "what do I get out of it". I think that you are missing the point. Lastly, if you are a Christian, you should be raising your children in a church environment all week, not just on Sunday. While this is hard for all of us, it takes effort and intentional actions. God will honor it in the end because it pleases Him. Ever since I have pleased Him in raising my children, their love for me and our connections to each other has grown and also others that see my children always make comments about how happy they are and how well they are behaved (I tend to let them know what they are like at home when they say this!).

Sorry to rant, but my message is since I have tried to raise my children in a Godly way, it has had a major impact on them - my wife and I don't get the credit, God does.

2. browns rule

browns rule Guest

Who are you directing your comment of "I think that you are missing the point" to?

3. DB's wife

DB's wife Guest

My 7 yr old told a classmate he didn't go to church. The classmate gasped and said, " You mean you don't go to church so you can learn about God?" My child said, "Hello! I can google "God" on the computer any time I want to!"
    I laughed so hard!
    I asked if he would like to start going to church and he said he felt like it would take up too much of his time!

4. seabee

seabee Guest

knucklehead... :jester::jester::jester:

5. seabee

seabee Guest

you are such a living train wreck....

6. seabee

seabee Guest

I have to disagree on your comment about obligation to bring family to Church ie learning about God... it isn't for the wrong reasons, it clearly is a parents responsibility to lead your family spiritually... ie learning God's word in church if that is the believe you have... the Bible tells you so...

Its not for the wrong reasons...

7. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

LOL that is the FUNNIEST episode ever :)

8. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I believe he was pointing to one type of "exposure to religion" being more of all religious beliefs rather than just one religion in particular.

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yes and Yes

and I will add, everyone on the planet needs to read 'The Shack'.

10. browns rule

browns rule Guest

KellBell--How funny you say that........Me and the kids were at the bookstore in Raleigh today and I just bought that book. I can't wait to read it!!!!!!!!!

11. KellBell

it's indescribable.

12. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

If you google The Shack it will give you a web site that will let you read the first chapter!! I cannot wait to buy this book!! Pat

13. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I bought it for my Mom. When she finishes it I'ma borrow it.

14. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree:

15. The Shack is awesome. I cried like a baby when I finished it. It just goes to show that we set expections for ourselves that God doesn't necessarily have for us. Anyway, about the church thing... When I was growing up, my parents loved the Lord. We talked about Him all throughout the week. It was not just a Sunday thing. We stopped going to church right before I was a teenager, and I think it's the worst mistake my parents made. I'm not saying that all kids that go to church are perfect angels and have no problems, but I needed Christian friends then. When you are not surrounded by Christian friends, ones that really are living for Jesus, the chances of making God less important in your life is greater (that goes for us adults too). I know that because I know some awesome youth at my old church that lift each other up and help each other avoid temptation. The Bible says to not be unevenly yolked with non-believers. If you believe Jesus is Lord and that Jesus isn't lying when He says He's the only way to heaven, then it wouldn't make sense if you didn't want your kids to believe the same thing. It would mean you don't care if your kids don't know God and don't know how wonderful He is and that they could spend an eternity with Him. It's not just a belief for those of us who have been changed by Him. We know the Truth. He reveals Himself in so many ways. Church won't get you to heaven, but it certaintly doesn't hurt if you are going to serve and Worship the Lord and fellowship with other Christians. If you are going just to say you went to church, I don't think God is impressed. He knows our hearts and our motives. That's why we can't judge anyone based on how often, if, or when they go to church. I do think kids need that extra direction and guidance and friendship, but what's most important, like a lot of you have already said, is how you live daily, not just on Sunday morning. Children know if God is first in your life. They see your priorities. Our biggest witness is to our own kids.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  16. KellBell

very well said. :iagree:

(and I haven't gotten to the end of The Shack and have bawled my eyes out twice).

17. Thanks KellBell! I just realized I wrote something wrong, but I just fixed it. I said that having Christian friends makes God less important? Sorry. Obviously I didn't mean to word it that way. My minds runs faster than my fingers. I did cry throughout The Shack. I felt like huge burden was lifted off my shoulders after I read it. You can't help but feel closer to God after that book.

18. KellBell

huge burden lifted and lots of understanding. I had a sister die at 44, and now I see why clearly. I understand where she is. I understand why kids die, young sisters die, tragedy strikes, etc. Clear as a bell. I cried like a baby.

19. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

Can you be any more arrogant? People like you are the reason the Christian religion is such a turnoff to so many.

20. browns rule

browns rule Guest

She wasn't arrogant at all. Your the one who is being extremely rude and arrogant.