Driving Question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif001, Nov 5, 2012.

1. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Pull into the intersection to where you must turn from. You cant turn from the white line. You cant block an intersection, so when the light turns you must clear the intersection thus preventing you from sitting through another light cycle.

2. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Only a LOL would sit through 2-3 stop lights!

3. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

The law that you're citing doesn't necessarily apply. That law says:

No driver shall enter an intersection or a marked crosswalk or drive onto any railroad grade crossing unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection, crosswalk, or railroad grade crossing to accommodate the vehicle he is operating without obstructing the passage of other vehicles, pedestrians, or railroad trains, notwithstanding the indication of any traffic control signal to proceed.

The original question does not say that there is not enough space to complete the turn, but there is too much traffic to complete the turn at the moment. If they are just waiting to complete the turn until oncoming traffic stops, they haven't broken the law.

Your cite is geared at the boneheads that enter the intersection when traffic is stopped, and there is no place for them to go until all of the people ahead of them move. All the while blocking cross traffic.

4. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Where is this law?

Some one earlier said there was a law that says you can't do it, I asked for proof of that law (and was told to look it up myself!).

Now you say the law says it's ok. It's only fair that I ask you to prove your statement as well.

5. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Clif, go ask a judge!

6. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I did. He said you're wrong.

7. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Either way, my answer is still B.

8. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

N.C. General Statutes, Section 20-155(b). Section 20-158(b)(2a). Section 20-158(b)(4), Section 20-158(b)(2a). Section 20-154(b) Section 20-153(b), As if an officer needs more ammo. I have been cited after an accident and had my (losing) day in court. It is considered as entering an obstructed intersection because you cannot complete the turn.

I attempted a left turn onto 70 business from the short rd in front of Lowes, McD's, and KFC in garner. No left arrow, but a separate turn only lane with a solid green light. In other states when there is a turn only lane and no green arrow you still have the right of way. Not in N.C., now I know better.

Adding insult to injury I also received failure to avoid an accident.

9. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

there is a comedian that does a bit about left turns and yellow lights. "the rule is , when the light turns yellow, 3 cars go through" I wish I could find the clip on youtube, b/c it's hysterical, but I can't remember the comedian. I thought it was George Carlin.

10. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

The law is linked in JTM's post. The link is in the word "cite".

11. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Thanks. :)