DSL Help/Questions

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Flowergirl, May 16, 2005.

1. Flowergirl

Flowergirl Well-Known Member

I called about getting DSL, yes, I still have slow dial up. Here's the thing.
    I am not very computer savvy but was told that I could hook this up myself. The Sprint man came out and hooked something up outside on my box. He also wanted to charge me to put in a separate phone jack. My neighbor runs phone lines and said he would do it for me. Why do I need a separate jack and once the new jack is installed then what do I do? The Sprint man didn't leave me anything. I'm just really confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

Flowergirl,

Normally with Sprint DSL "self installs", you will receive a Self Install Kit in the mail. That usually gets to you before the tech comes out and does your hookup.

That Self Install Kit has the DSL router you will need to connect to your phone line. You'll then attach your computer to the DSL router with either a USB or an Ethernet cable, follow their "quick setup guide" and you should then be online.

If you haven't received the Self Install Kit, I would recommend calling their customer service and let them know.

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction. If you run into other problems/questions, please post them here.

BTW, DSL is actually a service that runs on an *existing* phone line. You really shouldn't need another jack unless the place where your PC is located doesn't have a telephone jack within easy reach.