Ear piercing

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Pickle, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Ok ladies-my 7 year old wants her ears pierced. Any opinions on the most sterile, painless place around here? Someone once told me Merle Norman in Clayton or something...?

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

check with Anfesa's Jewelers in Garner (down by the Belk store and the old Winn Dixie, across from Walmart), I think they do it. You could also try the jewlery store on Main St. in Clayton.

3. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Contact your pediatrician to see if they do it.

4. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I did my own when I was 10. I used ice and a sewing machine needle. ..not in the machine.

Really?! Peds do that?

5. ShrtnSwt

ShrtnSwt Well-Known Member

I did my 2nd holes with a needle, ice cube and potato. Ohhhh I got grounded.

I use to work at piercing pagoda in the mall. It's clean and safe.

6. nsanemom22

LOL at being grounded. My mom told me that if I wanted my ears peirced, I'd have to do it myself. I'm not as big a chicken as she thought! :twisted:

7. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

And here I was a little scared thinking about some snotty teenager at Claire's!

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Scratch the ice cube and the potato, I did my own 3rd hole in the left ear myself when I was grounded and bored to death one Friday night in 11th grade. Just used one of my studs from previous ear piercing, pulled the skin tight, and popped it through.:mrgreen:

9. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Mini Me got her ears pierced when she was 5 at Wal-Mart with the gun. They got the gun stuck in her ear and had to wrestle it free. No matter how hard we tried, that ear stayed infected, she had to stop wearing earrings.

Two years later, we tried again at the mall I think. Still, no matter what we did, that one ear that they screwed with, stayed messed up. Swollen, infected, just plain nasty, so we took them out again.

I told her two years ago, that if she wanted her ears pierced again, she had to go to a piercer. So I took her to Monkey Ink, they used a needle and did it.

Now, she still has the occasional problem with that one ear, but by far that was the best thing we could have ever done. A little more expensive, but well worth it!

10. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

I would take mine to a jewelry store. Whichever one is the nearest to you. They have the sterile items and the right earrings to put in after the piercing. The pain is for a short second and over with. Just make sure that she keeps them clean for a long time so that no infection sets in. You can just have her put some rubbing alcohol on them in the morning and at night for a while and she should be fine.

Grace

11. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

I would never let m kid get the gun. Basically you are forcing the earring through the ear. Go to monkey ink, hollow needle, less pain, better healing...My .02

12. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I didn't know they did that there. Forgive my ignorance but what is that method? Just manually putting the needle through?

13. nsanemom22

Ew! I thought that's what the guns did! Really! I thought every time one was used that had to ...ew ... get rid of the extra chunk of meat!

14. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Gross. I am beginning to look at this in a whole other way now.

15. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

It's been years, but both of my girls got their ears pierced at the pagoda and they did a great job.

16. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Thank you everybody, we will try the Piercing Pagoda. I am kind of surprised at her, she watched her older sister get hers done and that is why she had not wanted to until now!

17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

18. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Well, when I think back we've had a total of seven piercings by the Piercing Pagoda (Cary mall) and they've used the gun method every time. Everything is very sterile, they clean the area of the ear for piercing, they wear gloves, use pre-packaged sterile studs that the gun pops through the earlobe, very fast and reaction to the pain is a good 3-5 seconds after the gun is done. Through seven piercings we've never had any problems.
    Good luck.

19. shell77

shell77 Well-Known Member

As far as the topic of sterility goes, to my knowlege there is no way to sterilize a piercing gun, and even if you can not see it, blood does splatter on to them. While unlikely, it is possible to contract hepatitus that way. As far as the studs being sterile, I seriously doubt the Piercing Pagoda (or Claires, or any jewelry store) has an autoclave with which to sterilze their jewelry, so if the earrings are sterilized at all, it was done somewhere else before the earrings arrived at the piercing place. So you have to trust that nothing could have compromised the sterility prior to them being placed in your ears. I'm not that trusting. Also, I firmly believe that getting pierced with a new sterile sharp needle (much like the ones used for injections, not sewing) is a much more comfortable and safe option as opposed to the blunt force trauma of having a piercing stud forced through your ear. I have had my ears peirced both ways, with a gun when I was small and as an adult with a needle at at tatoo parlor. Hands down the whole experience from initial piercing to having a fully healed hole in my ear, was MUCH better with the needle. It does need to be said too, that if you choose to go to a tatoo parlor you should ask about their autoclave, ask to see their spore test results, and make sure everything that goes near your ear has come from an individual sealed sterilized package.
    Also, I'm in no way trying to argue with you, INTHEBUFF. I'm glad that all the piercing you've had experience with have turned out well, and I know you're not alone, lots of people get pierced with guns everyday and no serious harm befalls them. I just think people need as much information as possible when it comes to the health and safety of their kids.

20. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

I would use Merle Norman! :)