Earthquake! Cleveland area

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by lawnboy, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Felt it here! My girls were taking a nap and I blamed them for jumping around at first! My mom just called. She works downtown, and they evacuated the building!

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

There is nothing on WRAL yet?
    5.8 & 6.0 reported on mix 101.5

That was wild.

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

A friend in Toronto and also Savannah, GA reported feeling it also...very widespread.

4. harleygirl

You alright? Any damage where you are?

5. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

yep we did here off poole rd and friends in cincinnati and boston reported feeling it also!!

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My mom in PA felt it as well. Very strange

7. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Tick Toc

Everyone here at work is fine. No damage that I can see, but I've never heard or felt anything like that before. Like an explosion that wouldn't quit.

...just waiting for the aftershocks now.

8. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Colorado - 7 am today - 5.3 magnitude ...... now Va?

I just asked my wife if she felt the earth move! She said, "Yes Yes!" I said, "Your welcome." :lol:

9. harleygirl

Cell phone not working nor text messages.

DAG GONE IT!
    Bob, let me know the first aftershock you feel, I'm going outside to experience it. (yes I'm weird) :p

Is this the end of the world as we know it?
    Hurricane on the way AND earthquake today? <eeek>

10. harleygirl

LMAO! That's funny right there

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

My cell is working, MIL just called me from outside the DMV building on New Bern Ave. in Raleigh. DMV evacuated the building on New Bern Ave until they can check it out.

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Felt it in Durham.

Sherry

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10034284/

RALEIGH, N.C. — A 5.8-magnitude earthquake in southern Virginia Tuesday afternoon rattled homes and businesses across the Triangle.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centered at Mineral Springs, Va., which is near Richmond. It was felt as far north as the Washington, D.C., area.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/08/23/1430899/east-coast-earthquake-felt-in.html

Triangle residents felt tremors from an earthquake outside Richmond, Va., at 1:53:48 p.m. It was felt as far away as New York City, Banner Elk and Morehead City.

The quake's epicenter, in Mineral, Va., registered a magnitude 5.8, according to the National Earthquake Center of the U.S. Geological Survey.

"Wow, a 5.8 in Richmond! That's huge for the East Coast," said Lara Wagner, assistant professor of seismology at UNC-Chapel Hill.

The epicenter was 34 miles northwest of Richmond, Wagner said, adding that that magnitude could shift up or down as more information is known.

People throughout the Triangle reported feeling buildings and vehicles shake. The quake shook the ceiling tiles at Raleigh's Martin Middle School, and some buildings downtown were evacuated.

The earthquake prompted many people to call 911. Orange County officials urged people not to call 911 about the quake unless there are "life safety issues."

"It is very unusual, though not unheard of," Wagner said of an earthquake that big in this part of the country. She was in the hallway when the building shook and initially thought it was from construction outside.

"That's the biggest one I've ever been in," she said, "and I do a lot of this stuff."

13. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Holy crap! I was in the living room when the wall behind me started shaking like crazy,I at first thought it was the spin cycle on my frontloader,didn't want to be the first one to post about it here for fear of being declared insane but I see I'm not the only one that felt it.

14. harleygirl

I tried to send a text to DH and it didnt go through, this time it did.

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Felt it here in Ral, over by Crabtree. I'm all alone in this building, at first I thought someone was running down the halls or something, so that scared me! But then everything started shaking and rattling.....I didn't know what was going on till my DH sent me an email asking me if I felt the earthquake! :confused:

16. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Glad you're okay!

I still can't reach my dad who works in DC. I'm sure he's okay but I heard they are evacuating and it's probably chaos. The last time the phones jammed up like this was 9/11! So Scary!!!

I'm 15 floors up. Not cool. Can't send texts either!

17. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Still can't reach my mom in VA either, keep getting all circuits busy up there from both land line & cell.

18. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Everybody relax....good grief.

19. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Just a bunch of damn women up in here stressing over nothing.

20. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Earthquake? I thought that it was one of those Wal-Mart shoppers who fell and hit the floor.