Elem/Middle Orientation?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by froggerplus, Aug 7, 2007.

1. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Hey ya'll~

When are all the school orientations? I know a few have asked in a few different threads, so thought I'd start one here.

CES usually posts outside the school when K orientation is, but how about regular orientation? Also, when do the middle schools have their orientations? I have Freshman orientation at West written down at work. If no one posts, I'll post that when I get there.

Frogger

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Dixon Road Elementary is the 23rd from 3pm to 6pm.

3. LI-bratz

LI-bratz Well-Known Member

most of the schools have them posted on their websites

If not they should all be around that Thursday & Friday b4 school starts

4. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

WestView had the 23rd on their website also.

5. doggy

doggy Well-Known Member

Orientations/open houses for Cleveland Elementary School, Westview Elementary and Clayton Middle are on their websites. The last week before school starts.

6. Chimp

Chimp Well-Known Member

Clayton Middle Aug 23rd

5:00pm - 6:00pm 7th & 8th grade "floating" Orientation
    * Open house format - you can visit teachers/classrooms on your own

6:15pm - 7:15pm 6th grade and all NEW students
    *Meet in gym at 6:15 to introduce teachers and discuss school procedures; visit teachers/classrooms after meeting in gym.

At this Orientation you will be given your HOMEBASE teacher's name. You will not get your actual schedule until the first day of school. We will provide you with information about bus routes, times, and stop locations.

7. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me when the Cleveland Middle School Orientation is? I looked up the website and kept getting an error message. Even tried the google way and still didn't work. Hope it's not the 23rd. Don't know why the school system doesn't seem to understand that families may have kids in elementary school and middle school at the same time. Any thoughts as to why they do that? Hate deciding each year whose programs or orientations or events to go to as it seems they ahve everything on the same day. So I do hope orientation is not on the same day. Thanks in advance for anyone who has an idea of when CMS's orientation is.

Can't believe school is almost here. Yuck!--homework.

take care,

Stephanie--mom to 7

8. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I looked on the Cleveland website and their calendar says the 23rd. Sorry. It would be really nice to get info sooner about teacher assignments and supplies.

9. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Sorry again, I looked on the CES website.

10. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

According to the calendar on the website, 6th grade Open House is the 22nd at 5:30. 7th grade is at 5 and 8th at 6 on the 23rd.

11. blackbearz

blackbearz Well-Known Member

Open House

CES is on the 23rd from 5-7

Cleveland Middle is also on the 23rd but only for 7th and 8th grade and will begin at 6:15....this is to give parents with students at both schools time to get to both Open Houses.
    Cleveland Middle 6th grade orientation is on the 22nd (not sur of the time)

12. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

As a parent, I know how frustrating it is not to have the supply list for the individual teacher...I have 2 in elementary and one starting (gasp!) middle school this year. I really wish I could have their required lists and be finished with that preparation for start of school!

As a teacher, I can tell you that, because of transfers (both to and from a school), the class lists are never finalized until right before school starts. Even then there are changes that are necessary due to many factors (ELL classes, EC classes, AIG grouping, class sizes, etc.) One year, almost half of my students on the list I received on the first workday had moved over the summer! Teachers will be in school-wide meetings on August 20th for most of the day. Once that meeting is over, elementary teachers will hopefully have their class lists to send out the letters to their students. Middle school students receive homeroom teacher information at the orientation. Especially in middle school with the advanced math classes and cluster groupings of certain students, class lists are sometimes not ready for the teachers until the day of orientation. (This happened to me more years than not during 12 years in the middle school classroom.)

13. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

My three are in middle/high school now...I just get the 'standard' stuff...binder, loose leaf paper, dividers, pocket folders, pencils, etc. Go and get that stuff now...it will get them through the first week...I write their names on their stuff, even now (in elementary school, a lot of teachers would take all the supplies, put them together and divvy them up among all the kids, so your kid wouldn't neccessarily get what you sent in...they get over that as the kids get older and more vocal). I don't do GermX, Kleenex, baby wipes or other assorted 'wish list' items...as a parent, going back to school is pricey enough and I don't have any more expendible cash that your average teacher...I usually ask after Christmas what the teachers need and fill in for them then.
    http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/educa...onlist.php?sectiondetailid=6&sc_id=1186526448
    Links to Jo.Co. schools, including phone numbers...the office staff usually can give you the most recent info...