English Bull \ Boxer for Stud

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by pikapp691, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ssmm

ssmm Well-Known Member

I wish that anyone interested in having more pets would visit the many animal shelters around our area. When I visited a couple of weeks ago I was amazed at the number of animals that were there because they were "surrendered" for one reason or another. (I would bet that many of them became inconvenient for the owners, as you can easily see if you read any ads on sites like craigslist, etc.) I'm not speaking lightly of anyone's choice to have whatever animal he or she wants to have... just please be a responsible person and don't add to the problems that already exist.

2. ssmm

ssmm Well-Known Member

...words that I never imagined hearing in this lifetime. :shock:

3. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Ok, both my babies have been fixed and my 90 lb. female boxer lays on her back w/all 4 legs in the air, so my little bully can hit it...it's the craziest thing I've ever seen:oops:

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

oh my....

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

:shock:

LMAO

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

OMG:shock: Guess i was wrong - for years all i had was Mayan and she didn't have anyone to you know and now she is too old to even think about it and the younguns Blue, who is male, 7 years old, and a short hair Border Collie and Gracie, who is female and only 10mo old and a JRT are just so incompatible in size, i guess i have never had a spayed animal who had a partner that was just their size:lol:

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I didn't even read the thread only the title.... (just got internet back today) :p

DON'T BREED YOUR ****ING PET!

There are already enough unwanted animals at the shelters now. :roll:

8. pikapp691

pikapp691 Well-Known Member

I am going to breed him and join forces with Michael Vick because I need the money. When are you available to come cut his manhood off? Tonight good for you?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  9. pikapp691

PETA rocks!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  10. pikapp691

If I knew what any of that meant I would reply.

Thanks for all the PM's I have gotten about this, good ones and bad ones. Each member of this board should go to a shelter today and adopt. Take off work, leave your job and go adopt a pet at your local shelter.

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I am so glad you're back. Hope your vacation was fabulous. :mrgreen:

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Awww...sorry that your wee-one was sick. I hope he is feeling better soon. There is never a bad time to go to the Outer Banks, for sure.

13. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Since you are new here, you are unaware, but FYI - MANY of the replies to your post came from people who either work in area shelters, volunteer their spare time in area shelters-or for non-profit humane organizations. ALL of those who do have adopted the majority, if not all of their pets from shelters.

FIVE out of my six critters came from area shelters, the sixth, was rescued off of a 15 foot chain which he lived on for the entire first year of his life.

14. dephygravitee

dephygravitee Well-Known Member

just reading through this thread out of curiosity....sooooo...havent really made any decision at all about it....just contemplating...we have a wonderful AKC golden retriever that has been in our family since he was a puppy....he is now 8 years old and we did not neuter him because he has always been such a wonderful dog that we considered studding him out for one litter so that we could have one of his sons or daughters....I get the impression from this thread that most people are opposed to this and would say we should instead adopt a shelter doggie......is it because the dog initially dicussed on the board was not AKC? or is this the opinion in general? I was somewhat surprised that so many people were against breeding dogs in order to get an offspring like the parent....just looking for some thoughts...

15. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

The reason I am so against it is that breeding in general is not needed in our country. I witness happy healthy wonderful dogs being euthanized on a daily bases due to lack of homes. So adding more to the problem so you can get one out of a litter is senseless. You would then be adding 8 or so others that need homes, the homes that buy those pups would be potential homes for the animals that are in the shelter, therefore causing 8 more dogs in the shelter to be killed. THEN those 8-9 pups are sold without being spayed/neutered and they go procreate, whether intentional or not and the problem continues.

I understand your love for your pet and wanting another one like him/her, but you can adopt an existing dog with the similar personality. There is no guarantee that his offspring would be the same temperament anyway...

Spay/neuter!!!

16. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

A few years ago, the Johnston County Animal Shelter was euthanizing approximately 300 animals per month. (I do not have this year's figures but I doubt it has changed much.) Granted not all are adoptable, but still many that are, are killed simply for lack of homes. Please, please don't breed when fine animals are available from your local shelter or rescue group. That includes purebreds.

...an estimated 25-30% of all animals brought into shelters are purebreds.

17. dephygravitee

dephygravitee Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I think once I get the privacy fence up and decide on a playmate for my big guy I will head to a shelter or find another doggy that needs a home....:)

18. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

Yaaaaaaayyyyy!!! :-D:-D:-D

19. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

For my answers, NO to the first question. Now, some people may get a bit peeved with my comment here, but AKC papers ARE NO GUARANTEE that you have or have bred a dog who conforms to breed standards. "Papers" only say that your dog was the product of two pure breed dogs of the same breed.

A reputable breeder, is one who breeds only dogs who display their BREED STANDARD to the highest quality. . .not to just produce puppies, but to produce puppies who exemplify all that the breed is about. They do not breed dogs who have not been shown in either confirmation or field trials and have received adequate points. They spay or neuter puppies who 'disqualify' in appearance or personality traits and sell them as 'pet quality - so long as there are no dangerous personality traits observed. Simply put, they breed to better the breed, not just for another litter of puppies to sell.

I've seen, for example, dozens of Labrador Retrievers, whose owners paid a good amount of money for, who have AKC papers, are unaltered, and are so far from their breed standard it isn't funny. Are any of these nice dogs? Definitely. However, these dogs do not conform to breed standard and no one with a dog who meets breed standards and has achieved points in the ring or field would ever consider breeding their dog with one that hasn't.

As far as getting an offspring like a parent. . .when dogs, humans, or any other life form breeds, you get a melding of the two, but that doesn't mean that the offspring will definitely have the temperament and personality of either of their parents. . .they are individuals. Which is why two nice people can have a child who grows up to become a serial killer. I know that's an extreme example, but it's true. I have a client who has two Jack Russells, a mother and her son. . .the mother is THE sweetest, most loving dog you have ever laid eyes on. You could eat her with a spoon! A doll baby. . .she was bred with a JR who was also very sweet. . .their son. . .well, let's just say he's an apple that fell far from the tree. . .he hates people, in general. . .he has attacked his own mother more than a few times and he is one of those dogs that you are never 100% sure that he won't up and take a bite out of you - just for sport.

Anyway - I always tell people who really like a certain breed of dog and wish to get one another dog of that specific breed to first check your local shelter-dozens of pure breed dogs end up in shelters, and then consider checking with rescue groups - breed specific rescues. . .they are easy to find on the internet and get dogs into their system of all ages, including puppies. . .shelters and rescues adopt them out altered pets who have had health check-ups and are up-to-date on their shots.

Lastly, you mentioned your dog is 8 years old. A puppy may annoy him, it depends on your dog. While some adult dogs are amused and play with puppies, many get tired of the energy a young pup has. A dog who is a young adult (ages 2 - 4), might end up being a better fit for you, but only you can answer that.

Best of luck finding a new furry friend for your family and your dog.

20. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

Please remember, in your original post you asked people what their opinions were of studding bulldogs or dogs in general. People gave you their opinions, just as you asked.