EOG - Pass or Fail?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, May 21, 2009.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Where does this resource come from? Apparently, we're able to export democracy to the world, but take feed, clothe, house, or educate our own.

When enough Americans realize that we need to fix our own nation and then extend what we can to others, we'll be better off.

2. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Not sure where your going with your quote.
    I don't need a resource for an opinion, having been in school myself all the way through a college degree and put two wonderful kids through school, that should be experience enough for an opinion on our public education. Its just deductive reasoning that more needs to be done on the basics, heck, when was the last time someone (adults included) attempted to count your change back to you. I also happen to have, oh I don't know, about 10 family members in education, all with their masters (mostly in math) who have the same opinion about getting back to basics. It all starts at the roots, strong basics makes for academic success, don't need a "resource" for that, just common sense. Most kids that struggle, not because of learning difficulties (thats a whole different ball game), because they don't have a good foundation in the basics. I don't need to be a proctor/teacher/substitute/pta board member/mommy that is at the school all day long etc. to figure this out. I've had the experience and thats my opinion.

3. Hatteras6

ITB,

that was not directed at you per se. The point was that I agree that we need to do more for education. Most folks would agree with that. My question is that if we want better schools, then we need to pay for them and raising the point that we, as a society, need to choose which resources will go towards what ends. And paying for good schools and teachers has NOT been the modus operandi ever.

If you interpreted my point as a shot across your bow, it was not intended as such.

4. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

I see, understood. I agree, we need better schools and pay for the teachers, as has always been the case. Times don't look good in those respects. I've heard from the clayton high school kids that they've change the ratio for next year to 1/30 in the classroom, not sure how anyone can teach with those numbers. Glad I'm in the medical research field, even on my worse day I can get a break from the madness.

5. lkauppi

lkauppi Active Member

eog

I copied this from the NCLB Act from the US Dept of Education. I interpret it as, if you do not use our money you do not have to take the test. So why should my son have to take it if it is really not crucial to his education. If we want to get our kids ready for a 'global economy' why not stress learning different languages, geography, culture, government of foreign countries, current events. I do this at home with my kids to try to supplement what they are not getting currently in school. Also, I think writing and proper spelling seem to take a back seat to reading and math. We as parents have to take a proactive stance in trying to provide learning opportunities for our kids that will add to their knowledge base. It is sad you have so many parents who can not or will not make the effort to engage in their child's education. There are just to many issues on the table to put the blame on one thing. I just wish NC would say no thanks to NCLB. I mean how did we fund schools prior to NCLB and high stakes testing, was it such a bad thing?

‘‘SEC. 9506. PRIVATE, RELIGIOUS, AND HOME SCHOOLS.
    ‘‘(a) APPLICABILITY TO NONRECIPIENT PRIVATE SCHOOLS.—
    Nothing in this Act shall be construed to affect any private school
    that does not receive funds or services under this Act, nor shall
    any student who attends a private school that does not receive
    funds or services under this Act be required to participate in any
    assessment referenced in this Act.
    ‘‘(b) APPLICABILITY TO HOME SCHOOLS.—Nothing in this Act
    shall be construed to affect a home school, whether or not a home
    school is treated as a home school or a private school under State

6. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

To reiterate Hat's point, if we don't take federal funds for education, where do we get the resources to fund our schools? Question - and I don't know the answer, so I'm asking - how much of our school budget now comes from federal vs. state and local sources? If we eliminate the federal funds, do we have other potential funding sources?

We need to re-think our priorities on all levels. Just imagine what could have been done here at home with the funds that have been expended on "exporting democracy."

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Homeschoolers are required by NC state law to take a nationally standardized test annually. This could be CAT, IOWA, Stanford Achievement, Woodcock Johnson, etc... These are the tests I remember taking when I was going through public school. The tests compare children nationally. I don't understand why NC felt the need to spend the $ to create their own tests ... EOGs.

Each state, not the federal governement, sets their own laws about homeschool requirements.

8. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Funding

I believe 9% of funding comes from the Feds and state and local are in the 40's.

9. Hatteras6

Yes, I agree with you here as well. You have to realize that a sizable, vocal portion of this area wants nothing to do with other cultures. They complain about having Hispanic culture here, much less other languages and cultures.

And, miserably, our own kids don't adequately read, write or speak English, know much US geography, and even less about US history and the cultures within.

If you survey most kids, they might be able to tell you Roanoke is near the beach but not know any of the historical significance.

Most couldn't tell you the difference between Antietam and Vietnam.

If they recognize the term Jockey's Ridge or Kill Devil Hills, again, it's on the Outer Banks, yet don't know the historical landmark there.

They know that Blackbeard was a pirate, but not that the Virginia governor actually invaded the colony of North Carolina with no authorization to capture him.

They don't know that NC was the last state to secede from the US and the first to rejoin. Or that NC sent more of its sons and fathers to fight for the South with greater KIAs than any other.

10. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

11. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

All true! I had a wise teacher once who gave a starting quiz for US History in 11th grade. I think it was about 45% that could not get the first US president right. Yet we keep throwing more money and resources after a broken system. The methodology and experiments need to change along with the realization that not everyone is going to get an education.

12. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Gosh, this is all SO true. Last year when we pulled two of our kids out to homeschool they knew absolutely NO geography, history, or government. Couldn't show me NC on the map, knew none of hte capitals, and forget any knowledge of previous wars or such. Didn't even know the continents or 7 wonders of the world. They can now tell you all the states and their capitals, know the continents, know some world capitals, ocens, basic government principals, branches of government & who is in them, the names of POTUS, VPOTUS, SOS & our governor, basic US history & explorers and too much else to name. BTW, I was told they really couldn't retain these things or learn them. Now, my other daughter is in middle school (CMS) & was studying about the same thing all year as we were at home. She can not tell me any of the things above. What does that say about our system here? It just doesn't add up. How can SO many be passing the test (such as my daughter) yet not be able to tell me the basics?! I do hope things change. Can we all put the EOG's to a vote--LOL.

stephanie--mom to 7

13. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

You do have the opportunity to vote on this. Start calling your elected state officials and let them know how you feel.

14. Hatteras6

Voting on EOGs just means that you have to convince your representatives that the testing system is broke and needs either to be fixed or scrapped.

15. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

The public education system is working exactly how they want it to be. It is not about education. It is all about learning to be a good citizen, play well with all, inability to think, and not challenge authority. It is easier for the ruling class to continue their mission when people have those traits.

16. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I hate the EOG's, and my oldest is just in 3rd grade, so I know I've got to deal with them for like, the next 80 years...:banghead: I honestly don't think 1 test should be the deciding factor for pass/fail, but what do I know?

My son has ADHD, so to ask him to sit in a room quietly and read about things he could care less about for 2 hours and then answer questions about it is like asking me to perform brain surgery on someone correctly! As it is, he failed the reading test last week by 3 lousy points, so he had to take it again yesterday. After he completed the 5 hours of mandatory remediation (that he really doesn't need) the teacher asked his classroom teacher why he failed the test, when he obviously is bright enough (he's an A/B student). It's simple, he can't sit there for 2 hours and read about nonsense. Honestly, how many of us could/would do that? God, I hope he passed yesterday, please, let him have passed! He was so upset when he found out he didn't, and I know he tried hard, just not hard enough.

17. Abdulina

DMJmom-- if he has an IEP in place (OHI), he can get different testing parameters. Some of mine have ADHD along w/ other things. They can take the test in increments. Helps w/ the not sitting still part. Also, they usually pull them out w/ a couple of other kids for testing sessions. They give them extended time too if they need it but I don't allow mine to do that. Personal choice but it is an option if your child needs it. Write me privately and I can give you more details if you don't know your options for the testing.

Stephanie--mom to 7

18. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

I need your input - FAST:

We just got a call from our son's teacher and he, again, failed his 2nd EOG reading. She said she need to talk to the principal due to my son's retention history (kindergarten). The real reason why he was held back at kindergarten because he did not pay attention to his teacher and his non-stop talking in the class. His grades were fine. That was in a private school. Now my question is what do you think what will happen to my son?

I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight because both my husband and I are very upset. We tried everything to make his reading improvement. His teacher knew we did everything for him. He only miss 6 points to meet the requirement. He only increase 1 points on his 2nd test. Now, come to this one, my son always have a reading tutor at his school. This year, he did not have a tutor because his teacher doesn't think he needs one. It made me so MAD that they didn't offer him a tutor this year and now look what happened to him. I'm even crying right now because of this.

19. Abdulina

He'll be fine. They can only retain ONCE in elementary, ONCE in middle and ONCE in high school. So, since he has been retained already, legally, they are not allowed to retain him again. This is a subject I know all too well w/ out getting into details here on the term retention--LOL. (we had a whole IEP meeting on the word retention..no lie!) Anyhow, you also are allowed to meet and discuss your thoughts and such. The team decides to go on or not. Your case, sounds like he will definitely proceed. EOG's have so many "what ifs" and loop holes after the results are in. Sorry you are going through this. I wish you all the best.

Stephanie--mom to 7

20. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Thanks, Stephanie. I'm planning to see the principal about it first thing tomorrow morning. I wonder if there is any summer school out there for kids to take?