EOG - Pass or Fail?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, May 21, 2009.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

CakePrincess - I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat, kind of. My son also failed his test the 2nd time last week (teacher called last night) and I am so upset right now. HE CAN DO THE WORK, his grades are all good, both his teacher and remediation teacher agree he should have passed the first time, just from what they have seen him capable of! So the teacher said she has to go in front of a board next week with all his grades and papers and "plead" his case (my words)...Oh man, I wanted to cry when she gave me the news last night. His test score was EXACTLY the same, 3 points from passing both times.

Stephanie - She did mention the IEP programs last night, I wish I had known about them sooner. the 405 (is that the right number?) sounds perfect for him, giving him tests in multiple sessions. My husband would probably hate this idea, he doesn't even like our son being "labeled" ADHD, he doesn't understand it's a disease, he feels like it means there's something wrong with our kid. So he doesn't really like special treatment, thinks his kids should be doing exactly what everyone else does...I feel so bad for my son sometimes, he honestly is one of the smartest kids you could ever meet, he's very knowledgeable about stuff, just can't test and hates school. Poor thing...

And Cakeprincess - my teacher last night told me there is summer school for 3rd graders (I don't know how old your child is, but I'm guessing right around there) so I guess there is hope...I was a little confused, so if they tell my teacher he can go to 4th grade, does that mean he will have to do summer school? just curious.

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

504...just wanted to correct that to hopefully help, not nit-pick!

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My heart hurts for these kids. So much pressure. :?

4. mom24

mom24 Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that if the fail the 2nd test the teacher goes before a review committee and they present a cse for the child based on their grades and class performance. This committee determines if the child is promoted, goes to summer school or fails.

The rule is suppose to be that a child can only fail their grade once k-2 and once 3-5. (I think that is the correct breakdown) But most teachers say they can only be held back once in k-5. Not completely sure which is correct.

Good luck Cake Princess. My daughter failed the first test last week with a 1 but passed this week with a solid 3. Go figure what happened. These test are not a true test of what the child knows no matter what some people on this thread think.

5. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was close! :lol: I could understand having the test be a part of their final grade, but not the only factor in whether they pass or fail the whole year. Then why even have grades for the whole year? Anyway, can someone please put in simple terms the choices I will have now? If the board says he can go onto 4th grade, will he have to take summer school? Or might they say he can go on IF he goes and passes summer school? And of course I know there's a chance he may not even be able to go, but the teacher seems pretty confident that won't happen, I hope she's right. His grades are good in all his classes, he doesn't get in any trouble (well, he did once this year, but overall, he doesn't) He just can't test. She said if I want I can go to the review board, this is her first time ever having to go in front of them, so I'm a little nervous, thinking I should go...

6. mom24

mom24 Well-Known Member

When the teacher goes before the review board they will choose 1 from the 3 choices. Either....promote him, summer school or retain him. It's 1 of 3 not a comdination. Hope that answers your question.

7. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

So if he takes summer school, will he have to take the EOG again at the end of the summer? Anyone know when summer school runs for 3rd graders, and where it is?

8. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for making me feel better. It was the worst night I've had last night. I went to see the principal earlier today and she explained to me that according to NC law, all child should not repeat retention twice per school level (elementary=1, middle=1, h.s.=1)(you're right abdulina). My son was held back when he was in kindergarten and now he's allowed to go on to the middle school.

The principle and my son's teacher warned me that there might be a good possibility that he could repeat 6th grade if he didn't work hard enough. My husband and I are rolling up our sleeves and determines to work hard with him to study and learn better. We are giving him "summer" class at home and he also will be seeing a private reading tutor. There is a summer school out there, but she said he's not required to go there, so I'm assuming there is one this year. I do not know where though. Wished I could help. Again, thank you. :)

9. lkauppi

lkauppi Active Member

Can't view test

This is a document posted on the NC DPI website. It gets my blood boiling. I asked to see my son's test and answers to see which ones he got wrong. NO I was told. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I have a public school student, whose family pays NC taxes to help fund, whose parents are heavily involved with the school and whose parents support the school monetarily aside from taxes and we can not look at the test our child has to be tortured with. Guess what, I helped give some of that $20 million we spend on testing, darn it I should have the right to view any piece of paper my son puts a mark on. I totally get that this rule is from the all knowing state dept of instruction, not the school, which bless them, they are just doing their jobs. I do not want to see an example of a similar test he took, I WANT TO SEE HIS TEST. UGGGHHH Homeschooling is looking better and better all the time. Maybe I will homeschool and then hold back some of my tax money and tell the state they are not allowed to know how much income we make, per our household policy!!!

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/docs/acc...ocessforstakeholderstoviewsecuretests8607.pdf

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

As a taxpayer I would have an issue with them sharing the test questions and what you had wrong. Not all parents might be responsible and could share that information with others.

I realize it is a little different for a child but my professional certification exams are similar, you will only know the overall score and are never notified what you have gotten wrong.

11. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

It sure is hard to help your child in a certain area when you don't know what area he/she might need help in. You could argue that you should know from throughout the year's grades, but then why is the test important? :banghead:

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Valid point on the testing.

13. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

True, but the teacher should be able to tell the parents what areas the child needs to work on without sharing the actual test, if the same test is to be given again.

14. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I wouldn't care if I saw the actual test, but I'd like to know if my child failed it, what areas he was weak in. My teacher told me I'll never know. A lot of help that is...

15. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

The teacher can't even tell you what areas he's weak in? That makes no sense to me!

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I agree, for my engineering exam the were able to tell me the scores I had in broad categories, "Theory" "Practice", "Statistics", etcetera.

17. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

not from the test. not that it really matters to me, I know what his problem is, he can't sit there for 2 hours and read/answer questions on things he doesn't care about. it sucks, but that's how it is, unfortunately. but it'd be nice if i knew that for sure. I still don't even know if he's going onto 4th grade...:cry: and he's an excellent student!

18. browns rule

browns rule Guest

Is he going to be able to retake the test? Did he fail the math or the reading?

19. browns rule

browns rule Guest

Ok, I just went a couple of posts back, and saw that you said he failed the test? Is he usually on the honor roll at school? Are his report card grades that good or is like A's B's and some C's?

20. browns rule

browns rule Guest

I was just thinking, yes, it is a lot of pressure on the kids......but we are in a different type of sociey then when we were all little. My son is in the 3rd grade and he passed, thank God!!! They were doing geometry this year, can you believe that? The 3rd grade and there is geometry?!?!?! Just like kindergarten now was our first grade years ago. I remember kindergarten just coloring, talking about letters and numbers and taking naps. That's what they do in preschool now. So, unfortunately, even though there is a lot of pressure on the kids today, I guess if there wasn't, would they be ready for the way society expects more from them then they did from us when they get out of school?