Error 27. Cannot lock drive

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Barrener River Short, May 10, 2008.

1. Ok fellow computer people. I am resizing my windows xp pro partition. I have done it in the past with no problems. But this time when I resize it and reboot I get:

Error 27. Cannot lock drive
    Entire Progress:100%
    Error 27 while executing Batch.
    Error 27. Canot lock drive
    will now reboot.
    Press Any Key to Continue

Thats the whole message I get. I press the Any key. Yes I bought the updated keyboard with the ANY key :)

and it comes right back to that message on reboot.

I have to esc out of it when it reboots just to get back to the desktop. And the Space I was trying to add becomes unallocated.

I did a google search and most of the boards are no freaking help, Closest thing I found was :
    http://www.footslog.com/board/Forum6/HTML/000342.html

You might need to release the drive, when you try to run chkdsk sometimes a similar error message will appear do try this, go to start-run then type chkdsk /r if windows tells you that this drive is in use and must be rebooted in order to run, go ahead and reboot and after chkdsk is done try PM.

I am running partition magic 8 and the most up todate CCleaner, Zone Alarm, AVG.

I am trying to post pone rebuilding it as long as possible.

Any thoughts?

2. i've tried going into safe mode and running it and still can not get the size to increase.

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Something is running in the background and the drive can't be locked. You could search your brains out looking for it, shut down all the services running and spend a whole lot of time pulling your hair out, ....or .....

Create Partition Magic Rescue/Recovery Disks , boot from them and make/resize your new partion.

4. it requires a reboot for the re partitioning to take effect. What I just thought was is I had recently updated spybot and every time I make a change to the registry it prompts me if i want to do that or not. What I am thinking is that may be one of the first services that is starting ant that may be whats locking it. I am waiting for the workstation to finish loading then i will go into the msconfig and turn it off from loading then try the repartitioning

5. Still getting that error when rebooting for the repartion to take.

6. I have stopped all the services and INI files from booting and still getting the same error

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Take the drive out. Either external case it or put it in another machine, as a slave drive, and try the partition change there. If it's not the boot drive nothing should load.

Did you try the start disks?

8. I had loaded it from cd about two years ago. I would have to try to find out where I had put the cd and see if i can make the disks.

What I am trying to do is increase the size of my C:\>. Its pretty much at capacity. I have been postponing the inevitable of reloading my OS.

I figure if I have to go to the trouble of removing the HD to try it in another machine I might as well fdisk and reload.

I'll try to repartition using the cd and disks. If I can not get it to work that way then I know I will go and reload. My only other alternative and this I really truly do not want to do is to compress my C:\

9. Will it work with the Ubuntu CD?

10. I was just wondering. Yesterday when I went into the msconfig and turned it all off at the boot, IE startup. system.ini ,,,

could there be something in the MBR that is hanging it up? IE a virus? I did just download AVG 8.0 but have not run it yet. But I would of figued AVG 7.5 would of found something in the MBR.

11. any suggestions on something I can dl to scan the MBR?

12. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I use that CD a lot. If you want at a PC,,,, it will get you in.

Are you trying to resize any "unallocated" space in your change?? If you hit a cluster boundary, you may not have enough free space inside the partition to allow the clusters to be resized.

Try lessening your partition size ...little by little in each attempt. I've overlooked the obvious, space may be your problem.

13. I have a 60 gb hard drive that was partitioned with C:\> having 17gb and D:\> having the rest. I was going to increase C:\> to have about 21 gb. But when I rebooted it came back with the Error 27 and took the aprox 4gb and made it unallocated. So now neither C or D have access to it

14. on that web page you gave me I found a mbr reader but have not had a chance yet to install it

15. UPDATE

Well while working on trying to use PM, I lost my D:\> so I am in the process of reloading my C and D drives. After using the reload cd it makes the C:\ 17gb and the D:\ takes up the remaining 60gb. Once all the apps are back on to the D drive I am going to put PM back on and try to even out the two partitions to about 27gb each so this way down the road i wont have to worry about space.

BTW I keep forgetting is 230gb or 320gb the largest EIDE drive size out there? The Sony I have doesn't support SATA.

And has anyone ever experienced Award bios company trying to sell you the latest greatest bios update? I had always gotten it free in the past.

16. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

There are much larger sizes available....400 GB, 500 GB, 750 GB, 1 TB. What your BIOS and or operating system will support is another matter. I pulled my hair out trying to figure out why my wife's old computer (which the kids now have) would allow a 500 GB to only show 137 GB. I finally figure out, in my case, that it was a registry setting.

If you want SATA drives, that's a simple matter of a PCI SATA adapter.

17. I would love to go SATA but now if I go and get the PCI adapter for it, I would have to spend money on a new BIOS from AWARD. At which point the MB mfg ASUS says i can upgrade my memory from 512MB to 2GB. If I am going to upgrade my memory and HD's I might as well get a new graphics card. And I am just not sure how much I really want to spend on a PC that was bought in February 2002

18. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

What is the reason for more (up to 2 GB of) RAM?

The SATA controller on a PCI adapter card does not require an accompanying MoBo BIOS update.

And for what reason would you want Serial ATA over (parallel) ATA?

19. no but the MB is in a sony vaio and they claim it will only support 512MB. But the MB mfg asus says it will handle two 1gb sticks in it. Sometimes you need to update the bios to support newer hardware. But I am still on the fence whether i am going to do much hardware updating to the system. I know it is 6 years old and the primary hard drive wont last that much longer.

I just can not wait till SSD's are availble to the general public for a nominal fee