Feeling Old?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Clif

Clif Guest

Personally I just turned 50 last Sunday.

I was feeling old already, now I run across this.

The Beloit College Mindset List, which lists things about freshmen just entering college this year (Class of 2010).

So, in an effort to spread my misery of turning the Big 5-0, how old do you feel?
    1. The Soviet Union has never existed and therefore is about as scary as the student union.
    2. They have known only two presidents.
    3. For most of their lives, major U.S. airlines have been bankrupt.
    4. Manuel Noriega has always been in jail in the U.S.
    5. They have grown up getting lost in "big boxes."
    6. There has always been only one Germany.
    7. They have never heard anyone actually "ring it up" on a cash register.
    8. They are wireless, yet always connected.
    9. A stained blue dress is as famous to their generation as a third-rate burglary was to their parents'.
    10. Thanks to pervasive headphones in the back seat, parents have always been able to speak freely in the front.
    11. A coffee has always taken longer to make than a milkshake.
    12. Smoking has never been permitted on U.S. airlines.
    13. Faux fur has always been a necessary element of style.
    14. The Moral Majority has never needed an organization.
    15. They have never had to distinguish between the St. Louis Cardinals baseball and football teams.
    16. DNA fingerprinting has always been admissible evidence in court.
    17. They grew up pushing their own miniature shopping carts in the supermarket.
    18. They grew up with and have outgrown faxing as a means of communication.
    19. "Google" has always been a verb.
    20. Text messaging is their email.
    21. Milli Vanilli has never had anything to say.
    22. Mr. Rogers, not Walter Cronkite, has always been the most trusted man in America.
    23. Bar codes have always been on everything, from library cards and snail mail to retail items.
    24. Madden has always been a game, not a Superbowl-winning coach.
    25. Phantom of the Opera has always been on Broadway.
    26. "Boogers" candy has always been a favorite for grossing out parents.
    27. There has never been a "skyhook" in the NBA.
    28. Carbon copies are oddities found in their grandparents' attics.
    29. Computerized player pianos have always been tinkling in the lobby.
    30. Non-denominational mega-churches have always been the fastest growing religious organizations in the U.S.
    31. They grew up in mini-vans.
    32. Reality shows have always been on television.
    33. They have no idea why we needed to ask "...can we all get along?"
    34. They have always known that "In the criminal justice system the people have been represented by two separate yet equally important groups."
    35. Young women's fashions have never been concerned with where the waist is.
    36. They have rarely mailed anything using a stamp.
    37. Brides have always worn white for a first, second, or third wedding.
    38. Being techno-savvy has always been inversely proportional to age.
    39. "So" as in "Sooooo New York," has always been a drawn-out adjective modifying a proper noun, which in turn modifies something else
    40. Affluent troubled teens in Southern California have always been the subjects of television series.
    41. They have always been able to watch wars and revolutions live on television.
    42. Ken Burns has always been producing very long documentaries on PBS.
    43. They are not aware that "flock of seagulls hair" has nothing to do with birds flying into it.
    44. Retin-A has always made America look less wrinkled.
    45. Green tea has always been marketed for health purposes.
    46. Public school officials have always had the right to censor school newspapers.
    47. Small white holiday lights have always been in style.
    48. Most of them never had the chance to eat bad airline food.
    49. They have always been searching for "Waldo."
    50. The really rich have regularly expressed exuberance with outlandish birthday parties.
    51. Michael Moore has always been showing up uninvited.
    52. They never played the game of state license plates in the car.
    53. They have always preferred going out in groups as opposed to dating.
    54. There have always been live organ donors.
    55. They have always had access to their own credit cards.
    56. They have never put their money in a "Savings & Loan."
    57. Sara Lee has always made underwear.
    58. Bad behavior has always been getting captured on amateur videos.
    59. Disneyland has always been in Europe and Asia.
    60. They never saw Bernard Shaw on CNN.
    61. Beach volleyball has always been a recognized sport.
    62. Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti have always been luxury cars of choice.
    63. Television stations have never concluded the broadcast day with the national anthem.
    64. LoJack transmitters have always been finding lost cars.
    65. Diane Sawyer has always been live in Prime Time.
    66. Dolphin-free canned tuna has always been on sale.
    67. Disposable contact lenses have always been available.
    68. "Outing" has always been a threat.
    69. Oh, The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss has always been the perfect graduation gift.
    70. They have always "dissed" what they don't like.
    71. The U.S. has always been studying global warming to confirm its existence.
    72. Richard M. Daley has always been the Mayor of Chicago.
    73. They grew up with virtual pets to feed, water, and play games with, lest they die.
    74. Ringo Starr has always been clean and sober.
    75. Professional athletes have always competed in the Olympics.

2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

42 years old. I always figure I was at the end of the old times. 3 tv stations, records and 8 track tapes, no personal computers, no video games (space invaders /astroids came out in HS), summer break meant playing baseball, basketball, and riding bikes (not video game versions, but the real thing). Going to grandmas on Sunday and staying until Hee Haw was over. My bedroom was 10 x 10 ad I was just glad to have my own room. It is hard to belive or think of the 70's as the good old days. Maybe not good but simple. And each generaton can say the same thing. :)

3. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Yes,having a birthday always makes me feel a year older... and having just had one myself, yes I feel older.

Now for the real question, to twist the knife...

Who exactly is Manuel Noriega?

[​IMG]

No. I'm serious. :shock:

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Koo!! You can't be serious??? Maybe I need to reconsider sending my son to JC public schools....................... :lol:

5. kookookacho

I am not in anyway taking responsiblity for my ignorance on this subject!! GOOD CALL!! :lol:

TOO!!! you can about guess my age. AND I WON'T GUESS YOURS (out loud) IF YOU DON'T GUESS MINE (out loud)! :twisted:

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Ah, the good ole days (46 years old). BTW, i hated having to sit and watch HeeHaw at Granny's house :lol:

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Former ruler of Panama and pawn of the US, now resides in a US maximum security prision

8. le

le Well-Known Member

Repeats of Hee Haw are terrific to run across on CMT!

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm older than you and that's all I'm going to say about that! :lol:

10. kookookacho

Now it's coming back to me!!! :lol: Thanks hught :p

See it was just useless information I didn't care to remember forever! Just merely PUSHED outta my head to make room for more important things like... Chocolate or Death by chocolate?

11. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I remember watching HEE HAW with my folks! What really makes me feel old is seeing or talking to kids I remember as babies and them graduating college or married with kids, etc and my son graduating this year!!!! (pouting) He might be a pain in the you know what, but he is my first and only son and seeing him now and then looking at his baby pictures and the videos, well..... Yes I have been feeling sentimantal (sp) and can't spell either! LOL

12. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

Ditto, approaching 44, only 2 TV stations, and got the first Atari system that came out.

13. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

I remember when my parents divorced in 1966 (scandalous!!!), my mother, a working woman, wanted to buy a house. She was required to get a man to co-sign the loan (any man) because women could not get mortgages.

14. crownsjo

crownsjo Well-Known Member

I remember the push mower, no moter just human power and sweat. and i grew up with no bathroom,a wash pot and out house and we scrubbed our clothes with a ? till my mom got a ringer washer when i was 8. watched ED Sulivan and Red scelton and Ma and Pa kettle, And our only cartoon that I can remember was Mickey mouse
    Loved Going to my granny`s house she would get me in the garden with her and we would gather all that was ripe and we would can them together,then she showed me how to crochet and sew,I loved my granny,
    getting weepy with a smile,,,,,,,,,,,,,

15. racecitync

racecitync Well-Known Member

Oh man you people are old! :lol:

shhhh! 46 here and I remember some of that stuff too ugh!

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey old man, who you calling old :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

38...but I feel 28-30 (most of the time)! The things I remember from childhood....

-having a country store you would ride your bike to with your friends after school every day to get some peanuts and coke....
    -having an antenna outside and having to go turn it manually to pick up one of the 5 stations we could get
    -never missing any of these tv shows....heehaw, Lawrence Welk, or any Billy Graham show
    -Always eating every meal as a family..and my Mom cooking REAL homemade food for at least 2 of those 3 meals...everyday!
    -every Friday night going with my parents and their friends to the Krispy Creme in Fayetteville to eat "hot and fresh" donuts
    -working in the fields together as a family....
    -staying at the beach for most of the summer, or at least going every weekend
    -having Andy Gibb and Rick Springfield posters in my bedroom
    -having an 8 track tape on my hand me down stereo from my brother
    -going to the store and buying records and cassette tapes
    -being able to freely roam as children, because it was a safe world to live in...we would head out after breakfast and return home at dusk from playing all day outside (and exploring miles of woods, etc.)
    -evil Knievel jumps with my bike
    -touch football games on a daily basis
    -having the Donnie & Marie barbie...and never missing their show (well as long as Heehaw, Lawrence Welk, or Billy Graham wasn't on at the same time-only 1 tv)
    -enjoying my care free childhood....which was priceless

18. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

If you're lucky, you'll live that long. As my elderly mother used to say, getting old's a b**ch, until you consider the alternative. :wink:

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Ya know what i find is funny - most (notice i said most not all) women in their 30's are so hesitant to tell their age (i was one too) but once we hit our 40's, it's like cool, i am this old and proud of it :lol: So girlies in your 20's and 30's, you have something to look forward to - the 40's rock :D God may take away the young looks and body but he rewards ya with wisdom and understanding.

20. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

Until today I thought Pluto was a planet. Now I learn its just a dwarf. In a few years the kids will be saying "Pluto" isn't that the dog on Disney. Oh wait - I take that back. I asked my son and he doesn't know who Pluto is either. I guess I am old. It really ages one to realize that the kids who were being born when I graduated are graduating from highschool now. Not too long ago myself and a couple of neighbors were comparing episodes from Little House on the Prarie. One of the younger Moms in my neighborhood said she'd never seen Little House on the Prarie?? How could that be? Now the only place you see Nelli's face is broadcasting news & as an avatar on 4042.

I used to love walking to elementary school (I don't even let my son walk to the neighbors house by himself these days). My sisters did that from kindergarten on up. Sometimes we would stop by the icecream shop across from the school and buy some penny candy with the money we got from the recyclable bottles we picked up on the way to school & turned in for money. I could get a bag of candy for a quarter rather than just a single gumball. I remember the "Heat for Your Seat" paddle one of my teachers had (and used) when kids in class stepped out of line. I remember playing on the playground with the entire school population at recess on the swingsets, seesaws, monkeybars & merry-go-round. I remember playing in the woods until dark when my mom would blow the car horn to let us know it was time to come in for dinner. I remember riding to town in the back of our pickup truck. I remember watching Frosty the Snowman, Rudolf & The Wizard of Oz every year when it came on telivision (the one with the antenna and tinfoil balls to keep the picture clear). I remember when the best video games were pinball (maybe not really a pinball game), pac-man, astriods & frogger. Oh wait ... those are still the best games :)