Feeling Old?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif, Aug 23, 2006.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Not me BIG 35!! I'm much smarter now (20's you are just dumb as a rock - sorry people in your 20's) :lol: and love the person, wife and mommy to Shelby and Mattie that I am.

Ok I love myself :lol:

2. Clif

Clif Guest

One thing that's been irking me is that they've been changing the pronunciation of things. It would be ok of they changed the whole word, but to just change the pronunciation?

Examples:
    Halley's Comet
    Haley used to rhyme with daily, now it rhymes with valley

Uranus
    The 'a' used to be a long vowel, now it's a short vowel. Ok, so this one I can understand. I mean, as kids, we used to have such fun with the name. :)

Neanderthal
    It used to be the 'th' was pronounced as a phoneme (neander-THALL).
    Now the 't' is hard and the 'h' is silent. (neander-TALL)

Does it really matter that much what the pronunciation is that they had to change it to be "more accurate"? This only thing that I see is that I look like an idiot when talking about any of the above and use the pronunciation that I grew up with.

3. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

Heheheh.... I have the factory 8-track that came in my '79 Caddy from the factory, along with the original owner's collection of Elvis 8-track tapes.

Before Space Invaders and Asteroids, I remember Pong and Tank.

Yep, we always did grandma's house on Sunday. Still haven't matched the gravy she used to make with those roasts.

You had your own bedroom? I shared with my brothers.

Yep, we had three UHF stations, plus PBS on TV, and if you had a really good antenna, you could get channel 12 from Binghamton, one of those exotic VHF stations! And AM radio.

4. Oy Yayoy

Did you ever stick punks in the eye-holes on the sides of your Converse All-stars?

5. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

I'm as old as white thread and I don't know what you are talking about. I had the all-stars but I hope I'm unfamilliar with your use of the term "punks"

6. Clif

Clif Guest

"Punks" are the brownish things you used to get with fireworks. You lit them and they kept a glowing ember at the end so that you could "safely" light the fuses on your fireworks.

They never did function well, and you usually ended up having to lean your head down and blow on them, putting your face right in the line of fire.

7. Oy Yayoy

A punk is an unscented incense stick. Good for lighting things.

Like smoke bombs in coffee cans (remember those?) made from salt peter and sugar.

8. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info- I never needed that kind of thing. Daddy gave me my fist Zippo for my 5th birthday. :wink:

9. Oy Yayoy

The kid across the street and I got into his older brother's cigars one time. My father caught us and made us smoke them all. Sick as dogs!!!!

10. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

My Dad did that to me with Cigs...and I didn't get sick (I was like age 6-7) :shock:

11. Oy Yayoy

In the early 70's, it was definitely NOT cool to have clean, new Converse All Stars. You immediately took them downstairs to the basement, to the coal bin, to dirty them up.

That might be done before going to bed, when you went down there to shovel coal on the fire in the furnace.

And you had to make sure you poked a hole in the center of the fire so that you didn't kill everyone with coal gas.

12. Clif

Clif Guest

They also worked well as a timer for firecrackers.

Kids, don't try this at home (or anywhere else)

Simply tie the fuse also the length of the punk. You can light it and walk away. They go off, and no one knows where they came from or who lit them.

We (me and my buddies) "bombed a PTA meeting once. We tied the fuses of several packs of firecrackers to punks at different lengths then lit the all and hid in the bushes across the street. After about five minutes the first set went off. Lots of parents came out to see who did it. After talking amonst themselves they went back inside. A couple minutes later another set went off. The parents came back out and looked around but (of course) couldn't see anyone. This time one stayed behind to make sure it didn't happen again. You should have seen how high he jumped when the third set went off right behind him. :twisted:

13. Oy Yayoy

You can also make UFOs from garbage bags and candles. Basically, a hot air balloon. Only thing is, you have no way of knowing where the burning candles are going to come down many blocks away. Freaks people out when a green glowing thing goes floating by up in the sky.

14. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

Oh my god and we aren't talking about Superstar Billy Graham. My mother would make us all crowd around the TV and watch all 3 nights straight. No wonder I'm such a heathen.

15. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

16. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

That sure brought back some memories!

17. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I still love the 70's music!!!!! 8)

18. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Me too. 70'S and most 80's. I love "Sundays at the 70's" on MIX 101.5. We also go through spells where we will dig out the 45's and turn the stereo up and have a good time, yes the kids too, although they think their mom is nuts, but.... :wink: :lol:

19. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Me too Kaci...but don't you find those late night infomercials selling the Hee Haw CDs to be just a little bit nostalgic? :D

20. Oy Yayoy

It's sad that kids grow up today and never know what a real car is.