Felon Coming to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kroywendy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. kroywendy

kroywendy Guest

On Thursday, February 8, 2007, we were notified by a parole officer of the Wake Correctional Center that Danny Chance, convicted kidnapper/rapist/murderer, would be paroled in January 2008 and is being considered for a 24-hour pass to his brother’s house that resides in the Cleveland area.

In March 1971, Danny Chance was convicted of two counts of kidnapping, one count of rape and one count of murder. He received life for the kidnapping and murder charges and the death penalty for the rape charge. The US Supreme Court ultimately revoked the death sentence and ordered a resentence. Upon resentencing he received two terms of life imprisonment and two terms of 99 years imprisonment, to be served consecutively.

I do not understand how such a dangerous criminal could even be considered for parole. This is a man that does not deserve a second chance. According to the Department of Justice, there is a 60 % recidivism rate for violent offenders within three years of release. The chances that Danny Chance will be released without further incident are not good.

He is currently being considered for a 24-hour pass to his brother’s house. This is the first step in his integration, reentry plan. If successful during the 24 hour pass, he will be given a 48 hour pass and two 6 hour passes the following month and each month thereafter until his release in January 2008.

I am asking for your help. Please let Eileen Cochran, Superintendent of Wake Correctional Center, and Dewayne Baker, Danny Chance’s parole officer, know that you do not support the release of a convicted kidnapper/rapist/murderer into a neighborhood of families and in such close proximity to numerous schools.

Ms. Cochran and Mr. Baker can be reached at 919-733-7988. Ms. Cochran will be making her decision on the 24 hour pass this week. Please act quickly to prevent Danny Chance from accessing the Cleveland community.

2. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Why in the heck are they considering letting this guy out. This is CRAZY!
    Do the crime....Do the Time !!! Does it not exist anymore ??

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

He was convicted in 1971, so the terms of his sentence and probation will be based on the law as it existed at that time. The laws are much stricter now, so a person convicted now and given the same sentence would probably never even be considered for probation.

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Why aren't the sentences as ordered. IF you are sentenced to ten years ... serve ten years. IF your crime was deserving of a sentence of LIFE in prision then that is where you should stay.

5. KDsGrandma

At the time he was sentenced, the law was that a person would be eligible for parole after serving a certain amount of the sentence. Sentences are structured differently today, so don't judge current law by what happens in this case. And the guy may not get paroled, either.

Under today's law, it is possible to sentence a person to life without parole in this state. Back in 1971, that was not the case.

6. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Either way, he needs to stay in jail. Maybe they won't let him out!!!!

7. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

While I worked in the prison system ('94-2000), they passed the "85% law" which made it mandatory for violent felons to serve at least 85% of the time they have been sentenced to serve. That law was not in effect in 1971 obviously, so this felon is not affected by it. But Gram is correct that someone who gets that much time today would not get paroled (unless they set some kind of longevity record.) Before that law passed, "life" sentences typically came in 2 types: eligible for parole in 10 years or eligible for parole in 20 years. With multiple life sentences, the parole eligibility date depended on whether the sentences ran consecutively (back to back or "boxcarred" as the inmates call it) or concurrently, where you serve the time of all the sentences at once.

Well, I certainly hope that this person has mellowed in the past 35+ years!

Snuff

8. twisty

twisty Well-Known Member

Wendy, would this person be in the Jordan Ridge subdivision?

9. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

how old is this guy? i mean... i'm sorry but 35 years in jail, + say.. 35 and you'd have a 70y/o man that you are terrified of.

10. twisty

twisty Well-Known Member

What if he were 19 or 20 in 1971?? I'm not so terrified for myself as for my two tween daughters and if this is the Chance house which I can see literally from my living room sofa as I type this, then it matters a lot to me. I'd like to know what the circumstances of his crime were.

11. kroywendy

kroywendy Guest

12. twisty

twisty Well-Known Member

Kroywendy, please check your private messages.

13. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Ok I'll say it against my better judgment.

This guy looks like an elf
    :neutral:

14. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

He may have indian in him, but he's definitely not indian...see the large amount of facial hair?...

Frogger

15. le

le Well-Known Member

circumstances, smhirkumstances. kidnap, rape and murder.
    i say let him keep "mellowing" in prison. 55 yo ain't quite ripe enough in my book.
    this was a great post - thanks for the enlightenment.

16. KDsGrandma

Indian?!?! I thought they said Native American these days. Info must be left over from '71, too. :confused: He could be mostly Native American, that was not a real full beard, and there was none on his cheeks. Anyway, I think the parole board takes citizen comments into account, so you all know what to do.

17. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I made my call to request they keep this guy away from this area. I'm not sure if my call will make a difference - but it sure couldn't hurt. It only took a minute. The individual who answered the phone requested my name, address & phone# - and that was all I had to do. Hopefully his pass to our area will be DENIED.

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Yes.

19. Clif

Clif Guest

I'm glad y'all weren't around for my parole hearing.

20. KDsGrandma

I thought of that, but it said "race," not "nationality." What race are people from the Indian subcontinent, anyway? :confused: